Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Anyone running wider tires on their Trek Checkpoint?

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like :The Dirty Kanza". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 09-13-19, 07:38 AM
CodyDog

Bikes: Rocky Mountain Altitude, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Rad Rover

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts

Is anyone running wider tires than a 700 x 40c on their Checkpoint. I want to go up to 1.9 inches wide or so for riding more single track than gravel.

My over width of my Botrager GR1 is inflated to 40 to 50psi is 1.6 inches. It looks like I have pretty good room between the seat and chain stays (2.7 inches). The only concern is getting close to the backside of the front derailleur. I know there is some movement with the IsoSpeed but I'm thinking its minimal, I weigh 185 lbs. I know this had been discussed in the earlier stages of the Trek Checkpoint release but I wanted to investigate now since the Checkpoint has been out for a while.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 09-13-19, 07:44 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 69 Posts
No first hand experience, but last time I looked - there was less clearance on the drive side chainstay than the left side? Keep in mind that a larger tire will push the wide point a little deeper into the V of the stays, reducing the frame width there.

Here is what I do: Get one tire and try it out on the rear. If there are problems, I use it on the front (or if I get it from REI or somewhere local I might be able to return it). If it works fine on the rear, I can get a second one.

I have a ball riding 40mm/32mm Front rear, or 50mm/40mm front rear. So there's that.
Old 09-13-19, 02:36 PM
zpl
Bike Fun Fanatic

Bikes: 2020 Trek Checkpoint ALR5, 2012 Surly Disc Trucker

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
I bought a set of Gravelking SKs in 700x43 for my Checkpoint ALR5, and I was disappointed to find that they actually measured just *under* 40mm at their widest point on my stock wheels. I also moved my dropout back about 5mm from the completely forward position to give me some breathing room - I think the end cap on my front derailleur cable would have rubbed otherwise.

I have a new wheelset on order which uses wider H+Son Hydra rims, and I'll be curious to see how wide these tires end up being on that wheelset.
Old 09-13-19, 03:39 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 62 Posts
is it possible those GK were from before the resizing that panaracer did?
Old 09-15-19, 05:49 PM
zpl
Bike Fun Fanatic

Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
is it possible those GK were from before the resizing that panaracer did?
IIRC the resizing Panaracer did was due to their 700x40 GK SKs actually being larger, so they're now sold as 700x43.
Old 09-16-19, 07:53 AM
MAGAIVER

Bikes: Kona Unit, Kona Kahuna, Kona Dew DL, Scott Big Jon, Trek Checkpoint ALR4, Sparton ST-500, Haro Team Issue

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I run 27,5x2.2 Continental Raceking Protect on my Checkpoint ALR4 size 54, no problems whatsoever. I've seen another checkpoint with 29x2.0 tires but it's quite a close fit.

Old 09-19-19, 04:24 PM
zpl
Bike Fun Fanatic

I need to update my previous report of 700x43 GK SK's only measuring 39.5mm on my Checkpoint. I took that measurement when the tires were brand new, and out of curiosity I checked them again, and they actually measured 41.5mm this time. I'm using a set of digital calipers that have been pretty accurate, so my thinking is the tire may have stretched a bit since it was new?
Old 09-20-19, 08:57 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by zpl View Post
I need to update my previous report of 700x43 GK SK's only measuring 39.5mm on my Checkpoint. I took that measurement when the tires were brand new, and out of curiosity I checked them again, and they actually measured 41.5mm this time. I'm using a set of digital calipers that have been pretty accurate, so my thinking is the tire may have stretched a bit since it was new?
Yeah, I hear that alot (tires being bigger the next day).

That said, I use a non digital caliper, because there is just too much variation in measurement of inflated rubber to get much more accurate.
Old 09-20-19, 02:15 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '87 Schwinn Prelude, Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo, '18 Diamondback Syncr

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 3278 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by zpl View Post
Yes- this happens on probably every tire Ive mounted new.
WTB, Schwalbe, Clement, Continental, Vittoria- models from these brands have all measured wider after a day or two. Those are just ones I remember.
Old 09-20-19, 07:13 PM
jfranci3

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Running 43c GK SKs on my 58cm SL with lots o room. The restriction is usually by the drive side bottom bracket. Tip- make sure you've got 2mm of clearence or the sand and rocks will take the paint right off.