Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

Software update: 4/18/19

Old 04-18-19, 04:32 PM
  #26  
Jim from Boston
Senior Member
 
Jim from Boston's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 6,907
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by IBRyan View Post
The quote box has been fixed! If we get more users wanting to revert the bold text back to how it was before, I can raise the issue with tech.
As one who quotes frequently, I don't like the gray background to the quote boxes. It seems to diminish them.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston View Post
Furthermore, I quoted eight (8) subscribers in my first post to this thread.
Originally Posted by gugie View Post
Mentions/quote notification should be #1 priority. It generates more use.
Originally Posted by Rollfast View Post
You mean that more people possibly view your profile?

I killed that stuff off in the last version and never lacked for people looking at that, same for quotes.

Let's get the posting and editing features up and running right first? Mentions etc. were the last things added into it anyway
Originally Posted by obrentharris View Post
You miss the point. Some of us actually like to communicate with each other:

Quotes and mentions are a great tool for doing that, also for moving discussions forward within a large and diverse thread. Just look at the number of times quotes have been used to forward this discussion.
Originally Posted by himespau View Post
I imagine that he means that those of us who get e-mail notification of quotes and mentions are more likely to come back more frequently because our interest has been piqued to wonder what people are saying about our comments not that we want to look at the profiles of people...

And mentioning [and quoting] someone draws their attention to the thread in which they've been mentioned, which they might not otherwise visit, again bringing up the number of visits.

More page views => more revenue...
Jim from Boston is offline  
Old 04-18-19, 04:40 PM
  #27  
IBRyan
Retired -- Do not PM
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
I don't use a lot of uppercase only, although will occasionally use it to highlight certain items. The first time I noticed the issue was this afternoon on BikeForums (some word processors will do autocorrect of capital issues, although one can usually work around it).

And, of course, abbreviations. EPS, OK, etc.

I sent myself an E-Mail, and it was fine.

I haven't posted on many other forums lately. But, I am a member on a couple of other forums, and I'll see if they're experiencing the issue. But, it would be an interesting coincidence that the issue cropped up the day of the update.

I am often a bit wordy, but this struck me with one of my rare very short quote replies.
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti View Post
this is a capslock test with lots of internet shouting

EDIT: Looks like just a run-of-the-mill anti-internet-shouting blocker (The above was all caps)....so long as there is more than the caps, nothing seems askew on FF66.0.3, BikeForumsNG skin, on Linux WRT caps
Okay, let me raise this issue to tech as well!
IBRyan is offline  
Old 04-18-19, 04:51 PM
  #28  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 22,979
Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9208 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti View Post
this is a capslock test with lots of internet shouting

EDIT: Looks like just a run-of-the-mill anti-internet-shouting blocker (The above was all caps)....so long as there is more than the caps, nothing seems askew on FF66.0.3, BikeForumsNG skin, on Linux WRT caps
Originally Posted by IBRyan View Post
Okay, let me raise this issue to tech as well!
Overall, that is probably not a bad thing in general. Those posts that are 100% caps can be annoying (and I often ignore them).

It is not clear what triggers the caps change, or how to avoid it.

Unfortunately, the system seems to make a lot of mistakes.

For example, the first letter above is sent to lower case. Many dictionaries seem to prefer OK to Ok or ok.

(an aside, my cell phone auto correct also often makes that first word caps mistake, and has been doing so for eons).

And, killing off commonly accepted abbreviations and acronyms. EPS, MUP, MUT, etc. (Of course, EPS is specific to cycling, or perhaps computer programming).

Here is the post where I discovered the error:
https://www.bikeforums.net/20890673-post19.html

Say what you wish, the whole thread was written somewhat tongue-in-cheek, so I would argue my response and use of caps was appropriate.
CliffordK is offline  
Old 04-18-19, 04:58 PM
  #29  
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 15,659
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1243 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by IBRyan View Post
What are the exact issues you are referring to?
Did you guys not log our complaints into a backlog and track them?

I'm not going to go through a 1 year old, 19 page thread and recount every bug logged there by users. You should be paying someone to do that.

BF needs to get its act together. The site is getting worse each update, not better.

Pet projects like, "Like Buttons", are cute, but don't help the core product.
carleton is offline  
Old 04-18-19, 05:13 PM
  #30  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 22,979
Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9208 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston View Post
As one who quotes frequently, I don't like the gray background to the quote boxes. It seems to diminish them.
I use quotes frequently, and sometimes nested quotes or multi-quotes, but do find that over-use of nested quotes is quite annoying to read, and in itself diminishes the response.

Personally I like the grey background for quotes, It makes them pop out as being "important" to the topic, and provides contrast between the quoted text and the current post.

That is, unless the person posting is too lazy, and puts their comments within the quoted text.
However, on a similar note, I initially found the grey background for indented text to be annoying.

Since that change was made, I started using it as a kind of mini-quote (and a quotable quote). But, in a sense, normal background would be preferable. One thing, however, as my eyeballs get older, I dislike low-contrast text. So, grey text on a grey background???
Another annoyance I noted a while ago. Lists no longer have the bullets indented. I think it used to be that way, but I noticed the lack of the indent a few months ago.
  • one
  • two
  • three

Did we ever get tables back?

[table][TR][TD]abc[/TD][TD]def[/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD]ABC[/TD][TD]DEF[/TD][/TR]
[/table]

Any chance of ever getting superscripts and subscripts?

CO[SUB]2[/SUB]

X[SUP]2[/SUP]

LaTeX?
[tex]\sum\limits_{i=1**^n {3i**[/tex]

Grrr.... something killed off my LaTeX (which I think I wrote a while ago, then borrowed from another website).
CliffordK is offline  
Old 04-18-19, 05:20 PM
  #31  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 22,979
Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9208 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 161 Posts
Another issue that I mentioned before without resolution:

The option "Automatically retrieve titles from external links" generally not work with HTTPS websites (which is now just about everything).


With "HTTPS"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle

Without "HTTPS" (just "HTTP")
Wikipedia (Links) Wikipedia (Links)


Hmmm, just dropping the "s" didn't work. Actually, it kind of scrambled it. And, the proper formatting still doesn't show in the preview.

How about ESPN?

ESPN: The Worldwide Leader in Sports
CliffordK is offline  
Old 04-18-19, 05:35 PM
  #32  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 22,979
Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9208 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 161 Posts
I'm not sure if this got posted or not.

There was an issue with the option "Automatically embed media", and some Facebook videos (they show up in a quote, but not in the original post).


CliffordK is offline  
Old 04-18-19, 05:37 PM
  #33  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 22,979
Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9208 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
I'm not sure if this got posted or not.

There was an issue with the option "Automatically embed media", and some Facebook videos (they show up in a quote, but not in the original post).

https://www.facebook.com/ProximusSpo...1060175811537/

https://www.facebook.com/ProximusSpo...1060175811537/
The missing videos from the other post.

Of course, disabling: "Automatically embed media (requires automatic parsing of links in text to be on).", and they're also fine.

https://www.facebook.com/ProximusSpo...1060175811537/

https://www.facebook.com/ProximusSpo...1060175811537/
CliffordK is offline  
Old 04-18-19, 05:48 PM
  #34  
hazetguy 
Custom User Title
 
hazetguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: asheville
Posts: 1,137

Bikes: are filling up my basement.

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 717 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 137 Times in 101 Posts
The Bike Forums logo at the top of the page seems HUGE now.
The grey bar next to/inline with the drop down tabs along the top is a classy touch (insert sarcastic eyeroll here).
The font used in quick reply is not the same font that appears when the message is posted.
__________________
No, I'm sorry, "28's and fenders" won't fit.

PLEASE DO NOT "LIKE" MY POSTS!!!
hazetguy is offline  
Old 04-18-19, 06:03 PM
  #35  
Flatballer
No matches
 
Flatballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 11,309

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1093 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by IBRyan View Post
Okay, let me raise this issue to tech as well!
I think this is the way it's always been here. The whole post can't be caps is all.
Flatballer is offline  
Old 04-18-19, 06:11 PM
  #36  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 22,979
Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9208 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer View Post
I think this is the way it's always been here. The whole post can't be caps is all.
It could well have been that way for some time.

I just noted it today with a very short reply of the Campy form of Di2. And, then it auto-scrambled everything.
CliffordK is offline  
Old 04-19-19, 03:42 AM
  #37  
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 15,659
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1243 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
If IB can't figure out what's wrong with this image, then that explains what the hell is going on there.



95% of the "Above of the Fold" space is ABSO-EFFING-LUTELY USELESS. 100% if the person doesn't care about what's in the stickied threads.

Who would want to join a site that looks like this?

Bounce. Bounce. Bounce...to FB, IG, Redd*t.
carleton is offline  
Old 04-19-19, 06:59 AM
  #38  
himespau 
Senior Member
 
himespau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 11,035
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 50 Posts
Ooh, I like the new subscribed button at the bottom of the thread. That's nice.
himespau is online now  
Old 04-19-19, 06:59 AM
  #39  
himespau 
Senior Member
 
himespau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 11,035
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 50 Posts
Breadcrumbs are really nice too. I like what little I've seen of this update so far. Thanks guys.
himespau is online now  
Old 04-19-19, 08:36 AM
  #40  
hazetguy 
Custom User Title
 
hazetguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: asheville
Posts: 1,137

Bikes: are filling up my basement.

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 717 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 137 Times in 101 Posts
Note how large the Bike Forums logo is at the top, and also how it butts up against the very top of the page. Looks terrible. There should be some space above the logo.
Also note the large grey box along the top row of dropdown items. Yes, I logged out, cleared cookies, and it still persists, both on my desktop and my iphone.

__________________
No, I'm sorry, "28's and fenders" won't fit.

PLEASE DO NOT "LIKE" MY POSTS!!!
hazetguy is offline  
Old 04-19-19, 08:56 AM
  #41  
hazetguy 
Custom User Title
 
hazetguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: asheville
Posts: 1,137

Bikes: are filling up my basement.

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 717 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 137 Times in 101 Posts
Another thing that should be addressed, is the horrible text location when uploading pics to threads. I made a separate thread to demonstrate the current text location, and how it could be improved.
https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sug...l#post20891510


A few more recent examples from the C&V forum
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...a-touring.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...b-jackson.html
__________________
No, I'm sorry, "28's and fenders" won't fit.

PLEASE DO NOT "LIKE" MY POSTS!!!

Last edited by hazetguy; 04-19-19 at 09:08 AM.
hazetguy is offline  
Old 04-19-19, 09:00 AM
  #42  
hazetguy 
Custom User Title
 
hazetguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: asheville
Posts: 1,137

Bikes: are filling up my basement.

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 717 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 137 Times in 101 Posts
Note how large the Bike Forums logo is at the top, and also how it butts up against the very top of the page. Looks terrible. There should be some space above the logo.
Also note the large grey box along the top row of dropdown items. Yes, I logged out, cleared cookies, and it still persists, both on my desktop and my iphone.

__________________
No, I'm sorry, "28's and fenders" won't fit.

PLEASE DO NOT "LIKE" MY POSTS!!!
hazetguy is offline  
Old 04-19-19, 09:31 AM
  #43  
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold
 
noglider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: West Village, New York City
Posts: 37,586

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1973 Raleigh Twenty, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 440 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5684 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 178 Posts
I have the same gray box that @hazetguy reports. I have a paid membership. I logged in with an unpaid membership and did not have the gray box. This information might help those who are working on fixing this.
__________________
Tom Reingold, tom@noglider.com
New York City and High Falls, NY
Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
noglider is offline  
Old 04-19-19, 09:54 AM
  #44  
JanMM
rebmeM roineS
 
JanMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Metro Indy, IN
Posts: 15,582

Bikes: RANS V3 ti, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 39 Posts
I don't see the LIKE option on posts. Neither Windows 10 Firefox nor Edge.
__________________
RANS V3 Ti, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
JanMM is online now  
Old 04-19-19, 09:58 AM
  #45  
IBRyan
Retired -- Do not PM
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
The missing videos from the other post.

Of course, disabling: "Automatically embed media (requires automatic parsing of links in text to be on).", and they're also fine.

https://www.facebook.com/ProximusSpo...1060175811537/

https://www.facebook.com/ProximusSpo...1060175811537/
Originally Posted by hazetguy View Post
The Bike Forums logo at the top of the page seems HUGE now.
The grey bar next to/inline with the drop down tabs along the top is a classy touch (insert sarcastic eyeroll here).
The font used in quick reply is not the same font that appears when the message is posted.
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
I use quotes frequently, and sometimes nested quotes or multi-quotes, but do find that over-use of nested quotes is quite annoying to read, and in itself diminishes the response.

Personally I like the grey background for quotes, It makes them pop out as being "important" to the topic, and provides contrast between the quoted text and the current post.

That is, unless the person posting is too lazy, and puts their comments within the quoted text.
However, on a similar note, I initially found the grey background for indented text to be annoying.

Since that change was made, I started using it as a kind of mini-quote (and a quotable quote). But, in a sense, normal background would be preferable. One thing, however, as my eyeballs get older, I dislike low-contrast text. So, grey text on a grey background???


Another annoyance I noted a while ago. Lists no longer have the bullets indented. I think it used to be that way, but I noticed the lack of the indent a few months ago.


  • one
  • two
  • three

Did we ever get tables back?

[table][TR][TD]abc[/TD][TD]def[/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD]ABC[/TD][TD]DEF[/TD][/TR]
[/table]

Any chance of ever getting superscripts and subscripts?

CO[SUB]2[/SUB]

X[SUP]2[/SUP]

LaTeX?
[tex]\sum\limits_{i=1**^n {3i**[/tex]

Grrr.... something killed off my LaTeX (which I think I wrote a while ago, then borrowed from another website).
Originally Posted by carleton View Post
If IB can't figure out what's wrong with this image, then that explains what the hell is going on there.



95% of the "Above of the Fold" space is ABSO-EFFING-LUTELY USELESS. 100% if the person doesn't care about what's in the stickied threads.

Who would want to join a site that looks like this?

Bounce. Bounce. Bounce...to FB, IG, Redd*t.


@CliffordK I am glad the video links are working for you now! I would like to make sure the problems we are currently having are fixed and make sure that the problems mentioned in the past are ironed out before adding anything in.

@hazetguy our team discovered that problem with the logo and we are currently working on the fix for it!

@carleton let me see what I can do with finding you a resolution about the stickies there.
IBRyan is offline  
Old 04-19-19, 10:10 AM
  #46  
Igotdibs
Senior Citizen
 
Igotdibs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: North Bend, WA
Posts: 111

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR7 Disc, Trek Madone 5.9, 1980 Colnago Super, '88 Specialized Rockhopper

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM View Post
I don't see the LIKE option on posts. Neither Windows 10 Firefox nor Edge.
It's not showing up on Chrome Win10 either.
Igotdibs is offline  
Old 04-19-19, 10:13 AM
  #47  
Dan Burkhart 
Senior member
 
Dan Burkhart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Oakville Ontario
Posts: 7,327
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Igotdibs View Post
It's not showing up on Chrome Win10 either.
Don't see it on my Windows 7 in either Chrome or Explorer. Have not tried it on my other computer that has Windows 10
Dan Burkhart is offline  
Old 04-19-19, 10:40 AM
  #48  
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 15,659
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1243 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by IBRyan View Post
@carleton let me see what I can do with finding you a resolution about the stickies there.
Ryan, you are kinda making my point

The stickies aren’t the problem.
carleton is offline  
Old 04-19-19, 10:42 AM
  #49  
IBRyan
Retired -- Do not PM
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM View Post
I don't see the LIKE option on posts. Neither Windows 10 Firefox nor Edge.
Originally Posted by Igotdibs View Post
It's not showing up on Chrome Win10 either.
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart View Post
Don't see it on my Windows 7 in either Chrome or Explorer. Have not tried it on my other computer that has Windows 10
@JanMM @Igotdibs @danburkhart please see the new announcement.
IBRyan is offline  
Old 04-19-19, 10:44 AM
  #50  
IBRyan
Retired -- Do not PM
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton View Post
Ryan, you are kinda making my point

The stickies aren’t the problem.
So what is the problem? I am just trying to best understand what the exact issues are so I can bring them up to tech and get on fixing that for the Bike Forums community.
IBRyan is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.