Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Shimano Dura Ace 7400

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Shimano Dura Ace 7400

Old 10-12-07, 01:42 PM
hanjin
your ad here

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shimano Dura Ace 7400

I recently got some old Dura Ace 7400 pedals from a buddy. They came with straps, toe clips and extra parts. I've never used toe clip pedals, and these also have shoe attachments like clipless pedals. So my question is can you ride these without using the shoe clips (shimano PD-64 which I also have) or should I just sell them and get some MKS pedals. I wanted to try my hand at toe clips, but I don't want to ruin a really great set of pedals learning.
Old 10-12-07, 02:17 PM
bonechilling
Run What 'Ya Brung

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you're right to want to sell them and buy cheaper pedals, but if you're talking about moving to MKS Sylvans, remember that they're designed for slotted cleats too. Anyway, those 7400 pedals are out of production and worth a lot to a few track racing die-hards out there, and it would be a shame to ruin some $80 pedals just screwing around.
Old 10-12-07, 02:21 PM
hanjin
your ad here

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So whats a good pedal to use with regular shoes?
Old 10-12-07, 02:33 PM
bonechilling
Run What 'Ya Brung

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, tons of people use MKS Sylvans with street shoes, and get by just fine, and so could you, but I think the MKS GR-9 is probably my favorite pedals for clip-and-strap use. It's got a nice wide shoe-shaped platform, and a big hook for bringing the pedal up when you're trying to clip-in. But really, all kinds of pedals will work, I use some I got off an old Schwinn in my alley.

Old 10-12-07, 02:39 PM
piwonka
park ranger

Bikes: recumbents

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sylvan's aren't bad if you ride with a fairly stiff soled shoe.
sambas work good.