Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

New BF model at less than $1000

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-11, 10:15 AM
gringo_gus

Bikes: Joey Sport; Mezzo D9;Curve D3; Surly LHT self build cargoesque

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

this offer may have been around for a while, but if so it has escaped my attention. An "entry level" BF that they retail at $995 here

Be interested to hear folks' evaluation of it from what they can see online. Seems a good deal to me.

Edit: actually, its obviously not new at all, I really don't know how I missed it, but still interested in comments.

Last edited by gringo_gus; 09-02-11 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Stupidity
Old 09-02-11, 04:46 PM
Dynocoaster 

Bikes: Too many....................

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Couple of years ago they had 8 speed models for $799.
Old 09-02-11, 07:56 PM
Jiten

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hardly new, they've had it for a while now.
Old 09-02-11, 11:54 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Their design is good , components adequate, , service after the sale OK.
Old 09-03-11, 10:37 AM
Foldable Two

Location: Vancouver, Washington and Ocean Shores, Washington, USA

Bikes: 2 - 2007 Custom Bike Fridays, 2 - 2009 Bike Friday Pocket 8's, Gravity 29'er SS, 2 - 8-spd Windsor City Bikes, 1973 Raleigh 20 & a 1964 Schwinn Tiger

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We have three Pocket 8's in the immediate family, as well as three custom Fridays (2- NWT's and a Crusoe).

The Pocket 8's are great bikes! (just don't have the braze-ons for the front derailleur). Wife and I were on ours yesterday riding along Portland river front with the grandson (he was on my former, now his Dahon S1). The stock 1.75" Kendas are great for anything from city streets to gravel paths.

I have been able to set-up my Lg Pocket 8 frame identical to my NWT. The stock Fridays ride just as good as a custom model and you can always upgrade components down the road, if you desire.

We are going to a ride along the pretty much all dirt/gravel Lacamas Lake foot & bike path today and will do so on the Pocket 8's.

Lou
Old 09-03-11, 01:01 PM
freighttraininguphill

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That just happens to be the bike I'm looking to buy once my recumbent sells. I'm going to swap the 30t front chainring for a 24t for super-low climbing gears. When I get it I'll let you know what I think of it.
Old 09-03-11, 08:34 PM
feijai

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fietsbob
service after the sale OK.
Wow, that's quite the minority report. I don't think it's farfetched to say that BF has the best customer service reputation among brands in the folding bike industry. How'd they mistreat you? Do tell.
Old 09-03-11, 11:46 PM
pacificcyclist

Bikes: 2012 Masi Speciale CX : 2013 Ghost 29er EBS

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gringo_gus
this offer may have been around for a while, but if so it has escaped my attention. An "entry level" BF that they retail at $995 here

Be interested to hear folks' evaluation of it from what they can see online. Seems a good deal to me.

Edit: actually, its obviously not new at all, I really don't know how I missed it, but still interested in comments.
It is entry level to get your feet wet with a Bike Friday bike and with today's economy as it is now, it is getting more attention perhaps. Prices start going up as soon as you customize the bike with better components. Usually, you will get adequate components, albeit a little lower grade than compared to Dahons. The entry level Bike Fridays are less stiff than the latest Dahons like the Mu series, so in a way you are really paying for Made In Oregon labor rates. Bike Friday bikes are meant as a travel fold bike; not really a quick fold like the Dahons or the Bromptons, with the exception of the Tikit. As a former Bike Friday owner for more than a decade as well as a volunteer rep, I had been through trials and tribulation with the company. Overall, they are very responsive and attentive towards customer service. However, they will become silent to a point of no response when they realize that bike issues are beyond their ability to address or fix if you start voicing your concerns or complaints. In my case, my New World Tourist had a flexible handlepost (almost impossible to climb out of the seat) and their early generation NWT had been equipped with the Diacompe Big Dog brakes (known as the death brakes) which will not brake well or if at all when the bike was fully loaded especially going down any steep hills. V-brakes then were equipped in much higher end BF bikes, but then I paid close to $2500 for it. Apparently, that wasn't as high end enough to warrant V-brakes, but they would be happy to upgrade my frame to accept V-brakes for a price. The bike then was advertised as a touring bike, obviously some thoughts and experiments must be made to ensure the safety of such bike when fully loaded?!?

Anyhow, I'm much happier with my Dahon, but if you are looking for a bike with drop bars, Bike Friday offers some excellent selections. The frame technology nowadays is good and safe.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-04-11, 07:27 AM
gringo_gus

Bikes: Joey Sport; Mezzo D9;Curve D3; Surly LHT self build cargoesque

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
thanks pacificcyclist, it really does help a lot. I have a dahon speed tr at the moment, but was thing of something a bit faster, with drop bars, to cover commuting and light touring, and also to go in a suitcase, which the TR doesn't (or maybe I am wrong on that).

I have been aware of BFs for a longtime, and had in my mind that they were the ideal. However they are more expensive in the UK than in the US (like Bromptons in reverse) so would be a big investment. But maybe I am searching for something that just doesn't exist folding wise. Maybe I need to take a look at the airnimal, too. But I have been studying BFs for a time, and contemplating also buying one pre-owned, so your comments are very much appreciated.
Old 09-04-11, 08:59 AM
pacificcyclist

Bikes: 2012 Masi Speciale CX : 2013 Ghost 29er EBS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gringo_gus
thanks pacificcyclist, it really does help a lot. I have a dahon speed tr at the moment, but was thing of something a bit faster, with drop bars, to cover commuting and light touring, and also to go in a suitcase, which the TR doesn't (or maybe I am wrong on that).

I have been aware of BFs for a longtime, and had in my mind that they were the ideal. However they are more expensive in the UK than in the US (like Bromptons in reverse) so would be a big investment. But maybe I am searching for something that just doesn't exist folding wise. Maybe I need to take a look at the airnimal, too. But I have been studying BFs for a time, and contemplating also buying one pre-owned, so your comments are very much appreciated.
Not a problem gringo_gus on BF thoughts.

Since you have a Dahon Speed TR, why wouldn't you think it will not fit in the suitcase?

If you want drop bars on the folding bike, then either the Bike Friday or the Airnimal will do. However, the lower-end BF models are both heavy and based on 406 wheels which are no different than your Speed TR. All you are getting is more better hand positions and lower handlebar. For BF model to be of any significant upgrade to you, you should be looking at a BF Pocket Rocket with 451 wheels (slightly bigger than 406). I had ridden a Pocket Rocket Pro before as well as the Air Friday and those 2 models would suit you better as a light commuter and light tourer to complement your Speed TR. Or you could try finding a used or NOS Dahon Mu SL as it is both lighter and faster riding than your Speed TR. But the Mu SL will be flat bars, not drop.

Your only other option would be to go with Airnimal since it is more local to you than me. The Airnimal Joey or especially the Chameleon model is a joy to ride. 24" wheels rolls better and still fit in a suitcase too! Unfortunately, in my case, Brompton and Airnimal are way overpriced in my country. Perhaps, you get a better deal there.
Old 09-04-11, 11:35 AM
bjorke
Idealistic Troublemaker

Bikes: Friday, Brompton, Soma, Fuji, Haro, No_Name...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I am really liking my third-hand pocket rocket as a commuter bike, even without a rack, fenders, or bag (when the rainy season hits I'll probably switch back to a 700c bike). A few creaks at the hinge that vanished with a spot of grease, but a nice quick bike for my purposes. I notice that newer bikes fold under and to the left -- this one folds under to the right, which makes it a little more awkward to carry when folded (without a bag).
Old 09-04-11, 11:54 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
A Tikit, T knob type, can be fitted with a simple 3 speed , for example,
and come in pretty cheap..
the chain tensioning dropout is a good feature.
as it lets you use either an IG hub or a derailleur wheel..
I think they price the derailleur , single chainwheel ones sub 1K$