Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2024.2

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2024.2

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-24, 03:38 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 980 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
Nights like these are why I love road bikes.

Decent B group with a dozen or so riders and 80 degrees with calm winds. Pretty sunset was the cherry on top.

Rode to the start and back home. Not a lot of climbing but 43 miles on a Thursday was nice.

Looks awesome. Meanwhile I’m out here about to get on the bike at 44 degrees and darkness
Old 04-19-24, 03:47 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22616 Post(s)
Liked 8,941 Times in 4,166 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
Looks awesome. Meanwhile I’m out here about to get on the bike at 44 degrees and darkness
I heard all the cool kids are moving to the Carolinas.
Old 04-19-24, 03:56 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 980 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I heard all the cool kids are moving to the Carolinas.
Perhaps. Not to be political, but I’d never move to a state that places sever limitations on a woman’s right to healthcare.

Ive been setting my kids up for the same when it comes to college. Regardless of scholarships or anything else, I won’t pay for a school in any states that restrict the same either.

It’s also why I won’t go to Oklahoma for the Mid South gravel race- regardless of how great Bobby is and how inclusive his race is, gas, lodging, sales tax etc will all go in part to the state, and as a dad of 2 girls, I can’t justify any financial contribution to a state that would treat them as 2nd class citizens, no matter how small the contribution is.
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 04-19-24, 04:46 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Perhaps. Not to be political, but I’d never move to a state that places sever limitations on a woman’s right to healthcare.

Ive been setting my kids up for the same when it comes to college. Regardless of scholarships or anything else, I won’t pay for a school in any states that restrict the same either.

It’s also why I won’t go to Oklahoma for the Mid South gravel race- regardless of how great Bobby is and how inclusive his race is, gas, lodging, sales tax etc will all go in part to the state, and as a dad of 2 girls, I can’t justify any financial contribution to a state that would treat them as 2nd class citizens, no matter how small the contribution is.
I have two daughters and we are on the same page. And we are staying in the NE indefinitely.

That said, I have one friend who moved to Asheville NC and he is quite happy there. Another friend moved to Hilton Head and likes it there.
Likes For datlas:
Old 04-19-24, 06:28 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11979 Post(s)
Liked 6,680 Times in 3,496 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
Got a bit of a special show I'm seeing tonight. Can't believe he's still touring at his age! Amazing! Seen him twice before. Last time it was quite progressive/fusion, which is totally my vibe. I may sneak out early and grab a bite and a manhattan at the US Grant downtown if all is well at home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x3QtLCAPp8
Yes, I wouldn’t mind seeing him again.
Likes For BillyD:
Old 04-19-24, 06:37 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Well, off to see my ophthalmologist for my final (probably) cataract post-op exam. Things turned out pretty well overall, although I still need glasses for reading, and I have to put up with the occasional floater here or there, now and then. No, I’ll never have the eagle eye vision of a 20 y/o again.
Likes For BillyD:
Old 04-19-24, 06:45 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10972 Post(s)
Liked 4,628 Times in 2,126 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
Well, off to see my ophthalmologist for my final (probably) cataract post-op exam. Things turned out pretty well overall, although I still need glasses for reading, and I have to put up with the occasional floater here or there, now and then. No, I’ll never have the eagle eye vision of a 20 y/o again.
Good luck on the post op.

Old 04-19-24, 08:12 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18445 Post(s)
Liked 15,671 Times in 7,367 Posts
Packing is coming along nicely.

But poor kitty is sad. He knows that panniers means dad is going away. My departed boy did as well.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-19-24, 08:35 AM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3214 Post(s)
Liked 1,863 Times in 1,173 Posts

Once again, my like button doesn’t work
Old 04-19-24, 08:47 AM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Maiden voyage today. One of the first things I did was to severely aggravate the heel spur. I was ok, if in mild pain, on the bike, but I can’t walk. Naproxeno 250 to the rescue. And Ice. None of you have bar ends. Is that because of the tight quarters you ride in. I don’t do tight quarters and will likely get some. Went with 40/25 and it felt a bit stiff. When I stopped to adjust it I discovered that I hadn’t brought my pressure gage along. Next time. A couple seat adjustments. I took the faux camelback just to try it out and was not uncomfortable. Is it normal to have to grab the hose in order to drink? Or is there another way to route it? I thought about tucking it into my helmet strap. It was really, really nice to be out in nature. I could get used to that.
The rear disc is making a rattle like noise. Normal? Thes damned new technologies! I would be quite happy with rim brakes.
And, I bet there is a gizmo that I could buy, to aid in the drying of the bladder. Maybe a bent coat hanger.
We’re five months into a six month dry season. It will green up very soon.

Last edited by seedsbelize2; 04-19-24 at 09:15 AM.
Old 04-19-24, 08:48 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18445 Post(s)
Liked 15,671 Times in 7,367 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
Once again, my like button doesn’t work
I have had that happen to me a few times. Also, I think you can only like so many posts in a given time frame.
Old 04-19-24, 09:00 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Liked 3,185 Times in 1,676 Posts
It was really, really nice to be out in nature. I could get used to that.
the best part of MTB! Glad you enjoyed it. RE: hose, I just have it clipped on my left shoulder. So I have to grab it, but it is easier than a bottle.
Old 04-19-24, 09:03 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Confused body today for me. Legs ready to go but I'm def. fighting something off, opaque mucus and some head congestion. I wanted tp go hard today but I turned it down a notch. Just finished Epic KOM in Zwift at a moderate sweet spot in ~22.5 min, about 20-30 watts below a hard effort. I think I'll sit in with the A-bot for another 10 min to get some more sweet spot time and refrain from attacking the group.
Old 04-19-24, 09:16 AM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 8853 Post(s)
Liked 3,003 Times in 1,746 Posts
Confused body today for me. Legs ready to go but I'm def. fighting something off, opaque mucus and some head congestion. I wanted tp go hard today but I turned it down a notch. Just finished Epic KOM in Zwift at a moderate sweet spot in ~22.5 min, about 20-30 watts below a hard effort. I think I'll sit in with the A-bot for another 10 min to get some more sweet spot time and refrain from attacking the group.
Punishment for letting Lilly take a fall. Prolly.
#GuiltTrip
Likes For DougRNS:
Old 04-19-24, 09:17 AM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 8853 Post(s)
Liked 3,003 Times in 1,746 Posts
That's me everyday.
Likes For DougRNS:
Old 04-19-24, 09:31 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Originally Posted by DougRNS
Punishment for letting Lilly take a fall. Prolly.
#GuiltTrip
fair enough!
Old 04-19-24, 09:39 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10972 Post(s)
Liked 4,628 Times in 2,126 Posts
This is new for me. I picked up my Xtandi caplets yesterday after my class, took them with breakfast this morning and just got a call from the cancer center making sure that I took them this morning.

Seriously? I am generally considered by most people to be a capable adult that follows directions.

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 04-19-24, 09:47 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11415 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 2,779 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
This is new for me. I picked up my Xtandi caplets yesterday after my class, took them with breakfast this morning and just got a call from the cancer center making sure that I took them this morning.

Seriously? I am generally considered by most people to be a capable adult that follows directions.
I must assume you haven't been dealing with the general public on a regular basis.
Likes For LAJ:
Old 04-19-24, 09:49 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 12815 Post(s)
Liked 7,747 Times in 4,107 Posts
Maiden voyage today. One of the first things I did was to severely aggravate the heel spur. I was ok, if in mild pain, on the bike, but I can’t walk. Naproxeno 250 to the rescue. And Ice. None of you have bar ends. Is that because of the tight quarters you ride in. I don’t do tight quarters and will likely get some. Went with 40/25 and it felt a bit stiff. When I stopped to adjust it I discovered that I hadn’t brought my pressure gage along. Next time. A couple seat adjustments. I took the faux camelback just to try it out and was not uncomfortable. Is it normal to have to grab the hose in order to drink? Or is there another way to route it? I thought about tucking it into my helmet strap. It was really, really nice to be out in nature. I could get used to that.
The rear disc is making a rattle like noise. Normal? Thes damned new technologies! I would be quite happy with rim brakes.
And, I bet there is a gizmo that I could buy, to aid in the drying of the bladder. Maybe a bent coat hanger.
That's some primo gravel right there!

At first I thought 40/25 was km/miles, also thinking damn that's a pretty sizable shakedown ride!!! I'd try keeping pressures closer together, maybe 30/35.

Regarding barends I have a couple bikes with em. A Trek era Klein and a Mongoose. The Goose is set up with shifters and brake levers on the barends so I can cruise in that position then just use the flatbar for heading up hills.

Regarding hose, yep gotta grab it all the time. It's easy to find though. Just keep it in the hoops in the pack straps so it doesn't flop around.

When I have a bladder strapped on the bike I twist up a hook behind the steerer tube to hold the valve. I try setting it up so I can sip it without grabbing it but on rough dirt roads it would always slide down close to the top cap and sipping it that close to the stem is probably a good way to lose some teeth when you hit a bump. So I just have it in a hook where I can grab it, sip, put back in the hook.
​​​​​​
​​​​​
Old 04-19-24, 10:02 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr

Is that stuff considered a chemotherapy? I can see them being meticulous about your start and stop times, you might even be part of a study.
Old 04-19-24, 10:11 AM
seedsbelize2

I got a massage last evening, from a neighbor who learned the art from her grandfather as a child, in Guerrero. He went around to the haciendas and worked on the workers, to get them back into the fields. Then she was an illegal alien for 18 years, massaging middle class women and working at a fast food joint, and now she’s back, for five or six years. The full extent of her English is “Would you like fries with that?” Anyway, she had a heel spur at one time, and an abuela told her to lightly grind it into a hot stone for a few minutes at a time throughout the day. Vamos a ver. The hot front porch steps were burning my left foot to the point I needed to put a sandal on, and my right heel felt nothing. Well, pain of course.
Old 04-19-24, 10:20 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8308 Post(s)
Liked 9,102 Times in 4,499 Posts
Bar ends are a relic of the past. Sure, some people still use them and you can get some of you want. The trend is toward wide bars, mine are 780mm. Bars come in different angles, and rises, and stems now are generally short.

Drinking from a Camelbak will become second nature after a while and as mentioned is much easier than a bottle. You can put the tube in your pie hole and put your hand back on the bar in a couple seconds.

Tell me you aren't using 40 psi in your front tire? Go 30 or less, both ends. Depending on the tire, you might be able to go 20, at least in the front.

And I have used a bent coat hanger to dry a Camelbak bladder but I usually don't bother. Once in a while I wash it with a little dish soap and a long brush. Probably way overdue for that now.

Last edited by big john; 04-19-24 at 10:30 AM.
Old 04-19-24, 10:26 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Got a Di2 battery question. I figured I should start here before I try the 41.

Reminder my friend installed USED 11s Ultegra Di2 in the Roubaix.

I last charged it about 2 weeks (300 miles) ago.

At the start of today’s ride the battery light indicator on the junction box lit up >50%. Fine.

At the end of today’s ride, which was only 50 miles, just as I crested the last hill, the FD stopped working so clearly the battery is very low. I came home and put it on the charger.

I am wondering how the battery can go from >50% to low in just one short ride. I am wondering if this is typical for an old battery.

Anyone with experience care to comment?
Old 04-19-24, 10:28 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8308 Post(s)
Liked 9,102 Times in 4,499 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Got a Di2 battery question. I figured I should start here before I try the 41.

Reminder my friend installed USED 11s Ultegra Di2 in the Roubaix.

I last charged it about 2 weeks (300 miles) ago.

At the start of today’s ride the battery light indicator on the junction box lit up >50%. Fine.

At the end of today’s ride, which was only 50 miles, just as I crested the last hill, the FD stopped working so clearly the battery is very low. I came home and put it on the charger.

I am wondering how the battery can go from >50% to low in just one short ride. I am wondering if this is typical for an old battery.

Anyone with experience care to comment?
Sounds like a bad battery.
Old 04-19-24, 10:43 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 12815 Post(s)
Liked 7,747 Times in 4,107 Posts
Team Novo Nordisk just rolled up to the coffee shop. They all look young, maybe a U23 posse? Or maybe I'm so old that pro cyclists look like teenagers to me

Likes For LesterOfPuppets:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.