Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Helix Update?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Helix Update?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-17, 04:26 PM
bhkyte

Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Jur.
Will the shareroller go on the Helix.
That would be cool.
Old 08-09-17, 04:41 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
That remains to be seen. V3 was to mount on the fork; the Helix just has a lefty so that would have been hard. However, I understand V4 could go on the seatpost or other places so I think it might work.

BUT my ShareRoller will actually go on SWMBO's bikes.
Old 08-16-17, 02:02 PM
DaKineDatFolds

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quoting myself, quoting Helix's last update for the pre-order customers...

Originally Posted by DaKineDatFolds
“We have placed orders for all the longest lead time materials and components. The remaining orders will have to be placed by August 15th. We will send you an update regarding the balance payment then. If you wish to change your drivetrain or other components, you will be able to do so when the balance payment is due.”
It's now August 16th. No update regarding the balance payment.

What's the current update with your backing aperture? Anything, jur?

Last edited by DaKineDatFolds; 08-16-17 at 03:34 PM.
Old 08-16-17, 04:25 PM
jur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
We get 2-weekly updates, I did report on the last one. Look out for my feedback this Saturday. Because of the more-than-a-month delay on getting all the welding gremlins sorted, you would see a similar delay on your end.
Old 08-17-17, 04:51 AM
DaKineDatFolds

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jur
Look out for my feedback this Saturday. Because of the more-than-a-month delay on getting all the welding gremlins sorted, you would see a similar delay on your end.
Saturday it is. That'd be cool.
Old 08-19-17, 12:42 AM
jur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
The custom welding torch is done and working. Pics and video have been posted of the steerer weld and it look absolutely amazing. Smooth, uniform, and a bright silver color, zero discoloration, straight out of the welding chamber like that.

Next week the testing frame/s will be welded *fingers crossed*

Now that we are seeing how things are turning out with all the special equipment Helix are using, this bike will very probably be THE bike to own. I wish I could show some pics. My Ti Swift is so-so compared to this thing which looks like it's from the future, no joke. Accessories design such as mudguards and luggage have been designed too. Like the bike, these seem futuristic.
Old 08-19-17, 01:17 AM
Gibsonsean

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
As you may be able to tell from Jur's post it was an exciting update. And very shiny.
Old 08-20-17, 04:29 AM
towndock

Bikes: '81 Fuji America, '79 Fuji S12 Ltd, '03 Dahon Helios XL, '09 Giant Defy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jur
My Ti Swift is so-so compared to this thing...
That's high praise.
Old 08-20-17, 01:59 PM
DaKineDatFolds

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jur
The custom welding torch is done and working. Pics and video have been posted of the steerer weld and it looks absolutely amazing. Smooth, uniform, and a bright silver color, zero discoloration, straight out of the welding chamber like that.

Next week the testing frame/s will be welded *fingers crossed*

Now that we are seeing how things are turning out with all the special equipment Helix are using, this bike will very probably be THE bike to own.
Thanks, jur Sounds like production may soon begin rolling
Old 08-28-17, 01:18 PM
DaKineDatFolds

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
August 2017 Pre-Order Update

10 days after jur's backer post, the pre-order update arrived.

Over a 2 month span, there were issues with the welding torch accessing the frame - real world testing did not match the extensive simulation. Helix finally ended up designing and building their own custom torch.

After standards testing, manufacturing is expected to begin somewhere around mid-October to the beginning of November 2017. Helix may then begin requesting the balance payment (2nd half of the payment + shipping + any applicable taxes) via email.

"Once again we apologize for the long wait. While we were well aware of the challenges ahead and had made careful estimations based on the complexity of the remaining tasks, we unfortunately were not expecting this setback."

...kudos to Helix for transparency.

I'm uncertain as to whether or not these will be implemented when manufacturing begins, but for now, I'll refer to these as IDEAS: 1. Soft Shell Carrying Case. 2. Universal Front Mount. 3. Front Water Bottle Cage Mount.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
helix carrying case.jpg (88.6 KB, 868 views)
helix front universal mount.jpg (88.5 KB, 867 views)
helix water bottle mount.jpg (91.1 KB, 862 views)

Last edited by DaKineDatFolds; 08-28-17 at 01:32 PM.
Old 08-31-17, 06:09 AM
MrFlamey

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I got the mail too. It's very exciting to finally hear something and get a little access to the activity stream - although I'm not sure we get access to the same information as the kickstarter backers.
Old 08-31-17, 10:40 PM
DaKineDatFolds

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MrFlamey
I'm not sure we get access to the same information as the kickstarter backers.
We should be able to compare, once the next backer update gets posted.
Old 09-10-17, 08:09 PM
jur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Last update a week ago wasn't much, just a brief message that welding optimisation was almost completed and that the "results" would be shown by this weekend. Not sure what "results" are meant to be, hopefully it's a fully welded frame. So far no further news this weekend.
Old 09-11-17, 02:13 AM
DaKineDatFolds

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jur
Last update a week ago wasn't much, just a brief message that welding optimisation was almost completed and that the "results" would be shown by this weekend. Not sure what "results" are meant to be, hopefully it's a fully welded frame. So far no further news this weekend.
Basically what perhaps the pre-order people have is a video of an orbital weld of a steerer. This is to point out weld quality and consistency via robot, in inert environment.
Old 09-11-17, 05:21 AM
jur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
The orbital weld was shared a few weeks ago so it's something more.
Old 09-11-17, 06:55 PM
DaKineDatFolds

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jur
The orbital weld was shared a few weeks ago so it's something more.
Thanks again for the backer update. Looks like manufacturing continues to require more time.
Old 09-17-17, 09:49 AM
MrFlamey

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
For anyone who ordered a bike and is wondering if they will be able to get accessories delivered with the bike:
Originally Posted by Me
I have a question about accessories that maybe you answered somewhere else, so I'm sorry if I missed it, but will we be able to order accessories before our bikes ship? I'd really like to get fenders for my Helix, and I'm also considering the backpack, as it will allow me to take the bike hiking and also act as a cover for when I'm on public transport (a cover is required to take a bike on the train here in Japan). If I can at least get the fenders with the order, it will save a lot of hassle and shipping costs.
Originally Posted by Helix
We really appreciate your patience and confidence in this project. As you've noticed on the activity stream, we're in top gear right now getting the manufacturing side of the operation running. Unfortunately, however, as a result of being a small, agile team, this means we only have finite resources. Fenders and the soft case are what we're receiving the most requests for, so they are absolutely first on our agenda to push forward once the manufacturing crunch eases. Our goal is to be able to offer these first few accessories for purchase as soon as possible, and to have them ready for shipment with your bike; we have preliminary designs and early prototypes in progress. Unless you strongly prefer to wait and receive everything at once, we would prefer to not hold shipment of your bike if the accessories are not ready. Just rest assured we will be offering everything as soon as possible through our website. And as always, all worthy progress will get sneak peaks on the activity stream.
Kind of expected this, since they have their hands more than full with just the bike, but it would have been great to be able to get the mud guards already attached to the bike.
Old 09-17-17, 07:25 PM
jur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Welding robot development is still ongoing. Update showed main frame being welded. Very close to release now...

I expect October for submission of bikes for standards compliance testing, and November shipping to commence. So a month slippage from my October estimate. The robot welder is continuing to take all effort to sort out development niggles. It's the last hurdle before production issues begin to come up.
Old 09-20-17, 05:24 AM
MrFlamey

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Pre-order customers also have that update it seems, so maybe we have update parity. Yay! Anyway, it is pretty exciting stuff to finally see a frame being welded on a jig by a robotic arm in an inert chamber, which is what they have been working up to for quite a while. The update says that the next update might show a finished bike.

If they have 1000 or so bikes to make for the Kickstarter backers, it's still got to be quite a while before I or other pre-order customers get ours. Hopefully we'll have our bikes before next Spring, though. It'll also be interesting to see if they do reopen orders this Winter and what the final cost will be.
Old 09-22-17, 07:51 PM
jur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
This is of interest
Old 09-22-17, 09:22 PM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts
Very interesting. From my limited understanding of ti frame production, looks like they're doing everything right, back purging to avoid weld contamination. Never heard of this company, don't know if they're even distributed in the US, but I bet this level of sophistication doesn't come cheap.
Old 09-23-17, 01:12 PM
jur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Helix are going some steps beyond this level again; a chamber filled with inert gas, argon I think, <100ppm oxygen left over, and using a fully robotic welder with positioner that keeps the welding pool horizontal. A smaller ante-chamber is for getting the welded frames and materials in and out. No tacking either, a jig holds everything in place. The photos show the welds looking beyond perfect.
Old 09-25-17, 06:49 AM
SunDuck

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Titomic = 3d printing bike frame

Originally Posted by jur
This is of interest
Old school is good, but here new one chaper and with more possibilites
Titomic from Australia.
I can't write here URL, but you can find site and youtube canal
Old 09-25-17, 07:05 PM
DaKineDatFolds

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SunDuck
Old school is good, but here new one chaper and with more possibilites
Titomic from Australia.
I can't write here URL...
Hmmmm, so basically Helix is going old school, with current school robotics.

This is quite interesting - using titanium powders to 3d print, using supersonic jetting. I like it.

Looks like sometime in the near future, we'll be laying off robots.

"It produces a product that is 34% stronger than stock titanium.
It costs approximately 50% less to manufacture.
It has no technical limitations for build size.
Titomic demonstrated their new bicycle on stage and announced that they have started a new brand called Ezilite to manufacture super lightweight and super strong wheelchairs. Titomic has potential to help menu existing manufactures make their products better, cheaper, stronger or lighter, and compete with technological supremacy as opposed to cost of labor or business model."

After viewing the YouTube, I think Titomic CEO Jeff Lang should take full advantage of his own tech to print out some new teeth. Seriously though, kudos to Jeff for putting out more possibilities.

Last edited by DaKineDatFolds; 09-25-17 at 07:21 PM.
Old 09-26-17, 02:20 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by jur
This is of interest
When you look at the video posted by Jur, you understand that welding is just a small part of building a high quality titanium frame and as consequence using a welding robot only helps for small part of the building process !

It also explain why a titanium frame is expensive and for the cost, the welding robot is also only a small saving.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.