Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

rate my form (pics)

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

rate my form (pics)

Old 04-02-16, 10:26 AM
trail_monkey

Bikes: Soma B Side, Soma Wolverine, Salsa Fargo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
rate my form (pics)

I had a post earlier this week about my stem length and soreness issues. I switched from an 80mm stem to a 60 mm that I had laying around to experiment. I actually liked the 60 but had only one 6 mile ride on it to base anything off of. I don't know if that was enough to make a judgement call. I put my 80 back on yesterday and today went on an 11 mile ride. Honestly I didn't feel quite as comfy being back on the 80. I was going to have my wife snap some pics of me riding with the 80 and then throw the 60 on and get pics with that stem too. I was then going to post both sets of pics and let you guys rate my form with each length stem. But after seeing her first pics with the 80 mm stem I admit I was more upright than I pictured myself being so I decided to just post those pics and get some opinions. How does my body angles look in the pictures? Am I too upright? Not upright enough? Anything look awkward to you more seasoned riders?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
14596139643972.jpg (98.1 KB, 213 views)
14596139643951.jpg (97.8 KB, 184 views)
14596139642070.jpg (99.4 KB, 200 views)
Old 04-02-16, 03:53 PM
trail_monkey

Just wanted to add here that I think in look way too upright. I wonder if a longer stem with more reach would actually help instead of going shorter. I have had issues with numb hands (especially the right ) with this bike. My sore lower back earlier this week I attribute to core muscle weakness and I am dealing with that by working out more to get stronger but that won't help my ice cold tingly hand issue and tired triceps.
Old 04-02-16, 06:47 PM
Wheever

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6 disk, 2016 Scott Big Jon Fat Bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
First off, I think your seat is too high. Second, though I can't see it, your seat might be too far forward, and third, yes, I think a longer stem might be better.
Old 04-02-16, 06:49 PM
trail_monkey

Originally Posted by Wheever
First off, I think your seat is too high. Second, though I can't see it, your seat might be too far forward, and third, yes, I think a longer stem might be better.
Seat too high? I thought you wanted a slight bend in your knee with your foot at 6 o clock?
Old 04-02-16, 08:29 PM
pakossa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I think its more that you need the bar LOWER, rather than a longer stem. If the stem has a large rise, try flipping it.
Old 04-02-16, 08:33 PM
trail_monkey

Originally Posted by pakossa
I think its more that you need the bar LOWER, rather than a longer stem. If the stem has a large rise, try flipping it.
I got a pretty good stack of spacers under the stem. So lowering the stem will help?
Old 04-03-16, 08:54 AM
Tusky

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trail_monkey
Seat too high? I thought you wanted a slight bend in your knee with your foot at 6 o clock?
I was going to suggest your seat may be too low.
Old 04-03-16, 08:58 AM
Seizedpost
Bench vise user

Bikes: 2004 Orbea Marmaloda, 1982 S12-S LTD, 1956? Maino, 1985 Sagres

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, I thought his saddle height looked ok. If that's too high I've been doing it wrong.
I get a little knee pain when it's lower than that, I believe from under extension.
Old 04-03-16, 10:08 AM
pakossa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I got a pretty good stack of spacers under the stem. So lowering the stem will help?
I'd start with taking out the spacers. (Much easier then flipping the stem!) Do a couple rides that way. If you think you can get lower, then try flipping it.
Old 04-03-16, 10:39 AM
trail_monkey

Originally Posted by pakossa
I'd start with taking out the spacers. (Much easier then flipping the stem!) Do a couple rides that way. If you think you can get lower, then try flipping it.
I am tall and slender and pretty flexible. Flexibility has never been a problem with me. Maybe I am not taking advantage of my gift lol. I will start by dropping my stem down and moving my seat back. The seat height though seems OK by looking at it but maybe it is a little low.
Old 04-05-16, 10:18 AM
Fiery

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
I feel tension in my lower back when I shorten the stem beyond a certain point. I also feel an increase in pressure on my hands when I raise the handlebar beyond a certain point. I would definitely recommend to try flipping the stem to get some more reach and drop. Maybe also rotate the bar forward a little.

Last edited by Fiery; 04-05-16 at 12:09 PM.
Old 04-05-16, 10:50 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Seems fine for General cycling, and touring ..

Race low bent way over, like a quadraped, to reduce aerodynamic drag is Not for everyone.
Old 04-06-16, 06:05 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3884 Post(s)
Liked 1,936 Times in 1,382 Posts
Once my saddle is in the right spot for balance (I can briefly lift my hands off the bars), I judge my stem length like this: With my hands on the hoods and forearms horizontal, my elbows should be in front of my knees.
Old 04-06-16, 09:08 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 334 Posts
Seat height looks fine, and the bike is the right size. Good gob. But you are sitting tall in the saddle, and the reach is kinda close. A lower back angle and more reach would help you get more power to your cranks by opening up the back and glutes. Yeah, it's more aerodynamic, too, but at this stage we're talking about power without sacrificing comfort. Getting lower will also sharpen your bike handling and confidence going downhill.

I suggest going lower before increasing the reach. The difference will be more apparent and it won't cost anything. Flip the stem and try it for a while. That will also extend the reach a bit. A little more saddle setback might be helpful toward keeping your weight centered over the cranks.

If you like it, try a bit more, and so on. If it's too much, back off. Then try it with a longer stem. Exactly how long, I don't know. Post more photos when you find your bar height and saddle setback, or see if you can find some loaners. I'm thinking 1 or two cm longer. I'm not trying to turn you into a racer, just a more dynamic and efficient weekend warrior.
Old 04-07-16, 05:20 AM
trail_monkey

Originally Posted by oldbobcat
Seat height looks fine, and the bike is the right size. Good gob. But you are sitting tall in the saddle, and the reach is kinda close. A lower back angle and more reach would help you get more power to your cranks by opening up the back and glutes. Yeah, it's more aerodynamic, too, but at this stage we're talking about power without sacrificing comfort. Getting lower will also sharpen your bike handling and confidence going downhill.

I suggest going lower before increasing the reach. The difference will be more apparent and it won't cost anything. Flip the stem and try it for a while. That will also extend the reach a bit. A little more saddle setback might be helpful toward keeping your weight centered over the cranks.

If you like it, try a bit more, and so on. If it's too much, back off. Then try it with a longer stem. Exactly how long, I don't know. Post more photos when you find your bar height and saddle setback, or see if you can find some loaners. I'm thinking 1 or two cm longer. I'm not trying to turn you into a racer, just a more dynamic and efficient weekend warrior.
I dropped my stem 14 mm and toyed with my saddle. I did move my saddle up 1 cm to experiment per what some others had commented earlier. I still got my slight bend in my knees at 6 o clock so I think I am still ok. Haven't had a chance to do a long ride yet to test it out but I will. I forgot this bike has a race face turbine stem which has some set back so I used the kops method to get a base line as my saddle may be farther forward on the rails than it would be with a standard seat post.

Last edited by trail_monkey; 04-07-16 at 05:25 AM.
Old 04-07-16, 07:41 PM
oldbobcat

Sounds good. I didn't really mean you shouldn't change saddle height, because you're pretty much in the pocket, but by all means experiment. If you start to feel too much pressure on the perineum, or you find your hips rocking, or you can't increase cadence without bouncing, or if you're pointing your toes to complete the pedal stroke, bring it back til it stops.

Regarding KOPs, I tend to ignore it. For road riding, saddle setback is for maintaining balance over the feet. My guide is, if you feel yourself falling forward, move the saddle back. If you find yourself sitting on the nose too much, or if pulling yourself out of the saddle to accelerate or climb feels like crawling out of the back seat of a Mustang, move it forward a little.
Old 04-07-16, 07:44 PM
trail_monkey

Sounds good. I didn't really mean you shouldn't change saddle height, because you're pretty much in the pocket, but by all means experiment. If you start to feel too much pressure on the perineum, or you find your hips rocking, or you can't increase cadence without bouncing, or if you're pointing your toes to complete the pedal stroke, bring it back til it stops.

Regarding KOPs, I tend to ignore it. For road riding, saddle setback is for maintaining balance over the feet. My guide is, if you feel yourself falling forward, move the saddle back. If you find yourself sitting on the nose too much, or if pulling yourself out of the saddle to accelerate or climb feels like crawling out of the back seat of a Mustang, move it forward a little.
Yea I wondered about KOPS after reading Sheldons article. I used it as a starting point only. I will adjust as needed.
Old 04-09-16, 04:41 AM
Rixtory

Bikes: 1986 Cilo 12 Speed, 2003 Trek 7700 FX, 2016 Specialized Diverge, 2020 Specialized Turbo Vado 5-SL

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe it's me, but it looks like you could go to a larger frame. It looks like your seat is too far back and not high enough and that your top tube is too short. but then again, my opinion cost exactly nothing.
Old 04-09-16, 08:13 PM
trail_monkey

Originally Posted by Rixtory
Maybe it's me, but it looks like you could go to a larger frame. It looks like your seat is too far back and not high enough and that your top tube is too short. but then again, my opinion cost exactly nothing.
That's an extra large frame (581)
Old 04-10-16, 11:57 AM
oldbobcat

That's an extra large frame (581)
A 58 cm frame generally works for guys int the 6'0" - 6'2" range. An 80 mm stem is extraordinarily short for normally proportioned riders who are correctly sized for a 58. Usually, they're delivered with 10-11 cm stems.

For the record, I'm a couple millimeters shy of 6', with long legs and arms. I've been riding bikes with 57-58 cm top tubes and 11-13 cm stems, depending on the bike and the handlebar, for the last 38 years. Although the numbers from the fit calculators don't support it, I perch on a 58 cm Madone wtih a 12 cm stem with a very Eddy-like profile.

Trail monkey, I think that as you gain experience, strength, and flexibility, you'll settle on a longer stem.
Old 04-10-16, 12:07 PM
trail_monkey

A 58 cm frame generally works for guys int the 6'0" - 6'2" range. An 80 mm stem is extraordinarily short for normally proportioned riders who are correctly sized for a 58. Usually, they're delivered with 10-11 cm stems.

For the record, I'm a couple millimeters shy of 6', with long legs and arms. I've been riding bikes with 57-58 cm top tubes and 11-13 cm stems, depending on the bike and the handlebar, for the last 38 years. Although the numbers from the fit calculators don't support it, I perch on a 58 cm Madone wtih a 12 cm stem with a very Eddy-like profile.

Trail monkey, I think that as you gain experience, strength, and flexibility, you'll settle on a longer stem.
I slapped a 90 on there for today's ride and at 12 miles in I feel pretty Damm good. I think I am getting closer
Old 04-10-16, 12:46 PM
vol

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
No one thinks the overall frame of the bike is too small for him?
Old 04-10-16, 12:59 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Originally Posted by Wheever
Saddle is just right.

Old 04-10-16, 12:59 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Originally Posted by vol
No one thinks the overall frame of the bike is too small for him?
I think the bike is too Small.

Old 04-10-16, 03:13 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
He didn't do the flat footed straddling the top tube test in front of me, in the Shop. Now how far can you pick the front wheel, up?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.