Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Ceramic BB90 bearing suggestions

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-18, 05:18 PM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Bikes: Specialized tarmac sl2 giant tcx zero

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

hi , it seems with every part on a bike there are an over whelming amount of choices , i am trying to build a trek madone 7 , and i want to go sram force rival or red , i have been told i can only use gxp cranks , so i need to find a good choice for race-ish quality bearing i have looked at some kogel , bbinfinate , and ceramic speed , the kogel option seems affordable , the CS option is almost 500 bucks , that's a little steep for me at this point , but does anyone have a real good set up they could recommend looking into , thanks ..bye ..
Old 05-15-18, 05:55 PM
Ghrumpy

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

This doesn't seem like a mechanical question to me.
Old 05-16-18, 09:19 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Ceramic bearings may be unnecessarily expensive, vs the grade 25 steel,
that has been adequate for ever..

But if you pull down the big bucks, go for it.

1st you need to research who it is even makes them available in that format.
and list links to the options.

over..

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-16-18 at 09:24 AM.
Old 05-16-18, 01:45 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Most people spin between 60 and 100 rpm. You wouldn't be able to tell the difference even if the BB had grade 300 balls.
Ceramic bearings were developed for high speeds and high heat like a turbocharger.
If spending money and bragging rights make you feel good have at it.
Old 05-16-18, 06:43 PM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The ceramic speed ones are expensive to me but the kogels are 100 or so bucks , im trying to build a race bike , i just wonder what people like to use ...
Old 05-16-18, 06:48 PM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The ceramic speed ones are expensive to me but the kogels are 100 or so bucks , im trying to build a race bike , i just wonder what people like to use ...
Old 05-16-18, 09:14 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by Teamprovicycle
, im trying to build a race bike , i just wonder what people like to use ...
Any non-wealthy racer spending his own money is perfectly content with good quality steel balls. Sponsored pros use what ever the sponsors provide and if it's ceramic, so be it. People with more money than technical competence buy ceramic bearings. The benefits are insignificant.
Old 05-16-18, 09:21 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
The problem with ceramic bearings is that even the low grade ceramics are expensive, so for any real benefit get the most expensive ones.
Old 05-17-18, 08:57 AM
pesty
Master Sarcaster

Bikes: 2018 Allez Sprint, 2016 Trek Crockett Canti

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ceramic bearings are great for industrial applications where you're dealing with 10,000rpms, but you're not likely to notice it spinning between 80 and 120rpm. Assuming the Madone uses press fit bearings, personally I really like the thread together Wheels Mfg. Angular Contact BBs. I have them in both my road and my CX bike.
Old 08-01-18, 09:11 PM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
it looks like that part is still 100 bucks so i would still need to choose a bearing i might switch to it but which one would i need i have the bb90 and a the older 10 speed sram gxp compact double ...
Old 08-01-18, 10:22 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I have no experience with ceramic bearings and can't say what to use but Wheels Manufacturing has ceramic bearings for BB90/GPX.

I think the non-drive side is https://wheelsmfg.com/enduro-gxp-22-...d-bearing.html and the drive side is https://wheelsmfg.com/enduro-24-x-37...d-bearing.html, both $46 each.

Please confirm.

-Tim-
Old 08-02-18, 12:30 AM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Looks about right but i still would need to know how to install the cranks in them .
i notice a few options for the bb90 gxp and they all install the cranks different .
im dealing with this issue now as the bearing maker doesnt provide easy to read tips on how to get the best result from the system . they just sell the bearings maybe some spacers and thats it .

so i see the bearings but do i still have to buy the cups so in total it would be about 200 or so ?, but what is the benefit of this system .
cheaper , easier , less chance or creaks . better application with less chance of mistakes ?
Thats whats messing me up lack of experience with this system i have to learn as i go which can result in lost funds
Old 08-02-18, 07:32 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I've no experience with installing press fit bottom brackets or cranks into them so can't answer authoritatively. My understanding is that the cranks slip right through the inside of the bearings and that's it. The crank manufacturer provides spacers and guidance on which to use. That's my understanding.

Not sure what is meant by cups. There are no cups on BB90 bottom bracket shells or bottom bracket bearings. They are cartridge bearings which press directly into the frame. There may be shields depending on the manufacturer but these are to prevent moisture and dirt contamination, not for retaining bearings like traditional cups.

Keep in mind that you are talking about top of the line components and this isn't a place where you need to look to save money. No one wants to pay more than necessary but ceramic bearings are expensive. That's just the way it is. My father used to say, "If you want to play you gotta pay." I'm not trying to lecture but just put things into perspective here.

Have a look at BBInfinite. They make a BB90/GPX kit. It should have everything you need. $125 list price. Again, I have no experience and so can't vouch for quality or functionality.

https://www.bbinfinite.com/products/...nt=45881541710

I have a PF30 frame and used an Enduro Torqtite. It does away with pressing anything into the frame but simply screws together in two minutes. They make a ceramic version but I don't see it for BB90/GPX. You may want to give them a call or email to see if they make something. Ceramic will be >$200 but it is a stellar, bolt on, turn key solution.

-Tim-
Old 08-03-18, 09:45 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
TREK MADONE BOTTOM BRACKET BEARINGS
Old 08-03-18, 01:04 PM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
That screw in option is what i was saying , seems like its a standard gxp bb with the bearings in the cup .

the bb90 is pressed directly into the frame . this screw in option / converter seems interesting but i was wondering what are the advatages . and also can you remove and press bearings into the screw in cups or is it just sold as one piece .

i have purchase kogel bearings but the non drive side is running ruff after 5 weeks and im just wondering what i did wrong and how will i fix it ...
Old 08-03-18, 01:34 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by Teamprovicycle
i have purchase kogel bearings but the non drive side is running ruff after 5 weeks and im just wondering what i did wrong and how will i fix it ...
Though higher priced than steel, cheaper ceramic bearings are not very good. You bought the cheap ones. Replacing them every five weeks may be normal. Don't be fooled by a phony brand name; they don't make bearings, they just source them from where ever. (Apparently "podium grade" means they only last a race or two.)

Hybrid ceramic ball bearings wear faster than all steel or full ceramic. Next time try Ceramispeed full ceramic bearings.