Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bespoke cargo bikes: built for a specific purpose.

Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Old 05-19-18, 12:30 AM
Gareth

Bikes: 2006 Falcon Explorer Hybrid, 2008 Landrover Visalia Crossover, 2010 Cargo Cycles Senton, 2010 Cargo Cycles Capability, and a 2001 AVD quad pedi-van, 1980 Peugeot Carbolite 10sp racer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 7 Posts

I would like this thread to be exclusively for cargo bikes, trikes, quads, trailers, pedal powered and human powered vehicles that have been designed, built or modified for a specific purpose.

During the previous eight years I have built several specific pedal powered vehicles including a pedal powered (magicians) medicine show, stainless steel pedal power tow tug tractors for use in a busy hospital, several pedal powered snow ploughs, nine "under-glass" pedal powered cultivation frames for use in commercial green houses, a 3 way rear tipping pedal power utility truck for use in a large open to the public garden, several pedal powered front tipping dumpers for a small independent garden centre chain, and as freelance contractor I've been involved as a designer and custom component builder for several other European cargo bike makers.

So I'll open this thread with the recently publicly posted pictures of the Window cleaner's trike made by Envan Corven

“Yesterday Peter Doorn picked up his custom made trike that he will use to transport his ladders and other stuff for his windowcleaning business. He decided to cycle all the way back to Zwolle. A 90 km ride with fierce headwinds in the knowledge that he would not make it on one battery. But he got there in 9 hrs. A true hero. As a belgian customer this week said."Uw fietsen bollen ook zeer goed zonder electrische ondersteuning". Which means that my trike also rides smoothly even without electric support.”

Last edited by Gareth; 05-19-18 at 02:42 AM.
Old 05-19-18, 06:29 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
flatlanders ..
Old 05-20-18, 03:35 PM
Gareth

Bikes: 2006 Falcon Explorer Hybrid, 2008 Landrover Visalia Crossover, 2010 Cargo Cycles Senton, 2010 Cargo Cycles Capability, and a 2001 AVD quad pedi-van, 1980 Peugeot Carbolite 10sp racer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
flatlanders ..
If you haven't got a reasonable comment to make, then don't make a comment.
Old 09-07-18, 03:58 PM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
I've been pondering the idea of creating a pedal portable outdoor photobooth. I'd either keep it modern (easiest) or make it retro, with a 'simulated' bellows camera (with a digital camera in the 'lens")
For the latter, I'd need to tweed it up, and start styling my mustache.
Old 09-07-18, 05:57 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Hi Gareth. Your started this thread while I was in hospital after a workplace accident, so this is the first time I have seen it. I can;t help with pictures at the moment, but the types of set-ups you are wishing discuss aren't totally unusual in history of various places.

I have seen three-wheel types at work in strawberry farms, working along weeding the crop, and likely also undergoing harvesting. In Europe, it is not unusual to see work bikes and trikes being pedaled into market areas or home again; this applies mostly, I think, to large areas have virtually no access permitted for vehicles. They also ara not completely foreign in Australian marketing situation.

The type of bike you show in the pictures, bit without the overhead rails, if a little familiar, although the soft drink and ice cream seller have a less wide front to accommodate their big boxes, and to ensure they have easy access for customer service.
Old 09-09-18, 01:27 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I like the Pub Bikes, but State laws don't permit them, here..