Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Putting road wheels on a Raleigh Willard 2 2016 model

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 07-31-18, 01:54 PM
RoadTire 

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

(edited for clarity) I am considering purchase of a Raleigh Willard 2, 2016, (size 52) comes with 700 x 40c tires. If I purchase, I'll primarily ride road, so will purchase new rims and run regular Conti 4000 S II's, 25mm because I have 3 brand new tires. It will replace my Trek Pilot 2.1, 54 which is one size too big. I ride Twin City roads and bike paths, and may do some gravel. (hence the gravel setup).

The first question is: how good of a deal is this bike at $800, hasn't been ridden enough to even wear the chain. (I trust the guy selling it, so assuming pristine condition)

I don't know what brand wheels to buy or where to get them. I would go just one grade up from regular stock wheel quality that would come on a $1500 road bike. I already have good tires.

frame is aluminum w/142x12mm thru-axle
fork is 15mm thru-axle
Brakes TRP Spyre mechanical disc, 160mm rotors
Hubs Joytech Disc
Chainrings 46/36
Rear Cogs Shimano 105, 11-speed: 11-32
[ref bicyclebluebook.com]
FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.

Last edited by RoadTire; 07-31-18 at 04:45 PM.
Old 07-31-18, 02:53 PM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
For VFM, you don;t say your size, but on Amazon the are $999.99 for a 56cm (2017 model which looks to be a better spec than the 2016 or 2018 models(, guess it depends on what warranty is worth for you or 1x.

What is the matter with the current wheels? for tire sizes, if you have the option, don't know why you would ride anything less than a 28mm today, unless you racing, lower pressure, more comfort offset the small weigh increase of having wider tires, for wheels, it has a dated spec sizing, road/gravel has settled on 12mm, 15mm is more MTB so getting a road/gravel wheelset with a 15mm front may be challenging.
Old 07-31-18, 03:05 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by jimc101
What is the matter with the current wheels?
I agree with this. Measure the width of your rims and figure out how narrow a tire they would work with. If you plan on riding unpaved surfaces, even 700 x 28 is a bit narrow. The good thing that is happening is that there are now nice supple tires available in wider sizes. I have 700 x 32 tires on my touring bike and they roll very nicely on pavement while providing a more plush ride on bad pavement and unpaved surfaces. Your bike will act like a road bike if you install tires as narrow as 700 x 25
Old 07-31-18, 04:04 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
I agree with this. Measure the width of your rims and figure out how narrow a tire they would work with. If you plan on riding unpaved surfaces, even 700 x 28 is a bit narrow. The good thing that is happening is that there are now nice supple tires available in wider sizes. I have 700 x 32 tires on my touring bike and they roll very nicely on pavement while providing a more plush ride on bad pavement and unpaved surfaces. Your bike will act like a road bike if you install tires as narrow as 700 x 25
Here is a chart which relates rim inside width to recommended tire sizes; scroll most of the way down: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html
Old 07-31-18, 04:50 PM
RoadTire 

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimc101
For VFM, you don;t say your size... What is the matter with the current wheels?
I'm riding a 54 and want to move down to a 51 or 52. I like the way my current 25 mm MP4SC's feel on my Trek 2.1. The tires are getting worn and I just slit the side wall on one, so I ordered 3 Conti 4000 GPII, 25 mm to try.

I'll shop around a bit more to see if I can find a 52 spec'd with 105's. Thanks for catching that.
FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.

Last edited by RoadTire; 07-31-18 at 04:56 PM.
Old 07-31-18, 04:54 PM
RoadTire 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
I agree with this. Measure the width of your rims and figure out how narrow a tire they would work with.
I just planned on having 2 wheel sets, one road, one gravel, and don't own the Raleigh yet. You have a good point - I could ask what the current rim width is and if it will handle 25's, I can put off buying another set of rims until next season.

Old 08-01-18, 09:04 AM
RoadTire 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can anyone point me to 15mm thru axel disc front wheel for the Raleigh so I can get a cost comparison? I’m having a little trouble sorting the searches out. If I find the front I’m pretty sure purchasing the back will follow suit. I would love to get a set at $250 + rotors out of pocket.

I’ll need this for comparison shopping. Sounds like a LBS may have some Raleigh deals coming up.

Last edited by RoadTire; 08-01-18 at 09:12 AM.