Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Saddle lower than hoods

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Saddle lower than hoods

Old 07-11-13, 08:02 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
That looks fine.

There is no "Normal" for a bike set up. Fit is very specific to each individual. As others have said, if you have low flexibility, then you may need your bars above your saddle. Don't worry about what it looks like. Ride it and if you are uncomfortable, then make changes.
Old 07-11-13, 08:08 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by bianchi10
Whoever did that fitting for you needs to be shot straight in the face. your hoods should not be rolld up that high on the bars. saddle should be flat and if you are 6ft tall and that is a 56, you have got to have one of the longest torso's EVER. that looks set up for someone with a 28" inseem.
This isn't Hot or Not - let's dial it back a notch. The lever position is fine - there's a nice transition from the bars to the hoods, it just looks bad because the stem is up and the bars continue that upward slope.

@MoreBlackSwan - I wouldn't be terribly surprised if the saddle position is correct or at least close to correct. I'm at 6' tall with shortish legs/longish torso and I didn't really look at bikes with level top tubes, like the CAAD - they just didn't give me enough nut clearance (and would have resulted in a stubby post like yours). That said, it's where I would start to sort out your fit - with the saddle height. If your leg is not quite straight at the bottom of the pedal stroke (without pointing your foot down excessively or rocking your hips on the saddle), try raising the seat .5cm at a time, or so. After the saddle height is correct, as comfort allows, gradually lower the position of the bars by flipping the stem and removing spacers.

Last edited by WhyFi; 07-11-13 at 08:54 AM.
Old 07-11-13, 08:45 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
That looks fine.

There is no "Normal" for a bike set up. Fit is very specific to each individual. As others have said, if you have low flexibility, then you may need your bars above your saddle. Don't worry about what it looks like. Ride it and if you are uncomfortable, then make changes.
If you talk to a company like Rivendell, everyone is riding frames that are too small and has too much seatpost visible. They also think any bar drop at all makes zero sense for all non-racing cyclists. Then again, they like quill stems, platform pedals, bar-end shifters and friction shifting. There is indeed no "normal".
Old 07-11-13, 08:50 AM
Elduderino2412
Tour De French Fries

Bikes: 2010 Cervelo R3 SL & 2013 Airborne Goblin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
If you talk to a company like Rivendell
They probably would just talk about their favorite folk band for an hour
Old 07-11-13, 08:55 AM
Bluechip

Bikes: Salsa Fargo Ti, Cannondale CAAD9, Carbonello Fixed Gear, Specialized Epic Disc

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Like most are saying there is no normal. It's what's comfortable to the individual rider. I've got bikes with large seat/bar drop and I've got one with the bars just slightly higher than the saddle. Both fit me but just in different ways. Lately I've been ridding the latter (Salsa Fargo) and have gotten used to the more upright position. When I went to ride my CAAD9 it felt completely foreign to me. I felt like I was going to fall over the bars. I can see how when a person who is used to even saddle/bars first rides a "racing" road bike they feel it doesn't fit. Both bikes "fit" but feel completely different.
Old 07-11-13, 09:03 AM
sosojeffcc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
most new bike "fits" just get the saddle position in the ballpark and send you on your merry way with the stem as high as it came. They will usually tell you to ride the bike for a few weeks to get used to the bike, or get used to riding a road bike if it's a first. Then they will schedule you in for a more involved "fit" if it was included in the purchase. Most beginners don't need to worry about getting into an "aero" position anyway.
Old 07-11-13, 09:11 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22570 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Originally Posted by martinus
If the saddle would be level, you wouldnt need the bars rolled up, like that... ( to use, to push yourself back up on to the saddle/your sit bones... since you are prolly sliding off/down, sitting on your giblets. )

That said, dont flip the stem or slam it, that is a fit issue ...
If you like the height on both leave it, but if you need the extra hight from the handlebar beeing rolled up, get a higher angle stem. ( and still keept he bars "level". )

If all else fails, het a "tall headtube bike" ...

Here is a publicity pic of my bike :

Here is how mine, looks:
Interesting tube profiles.. What's the material??
Old 07-11-13, 09:15 AM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Without seeing you on the bike, no one can say if its right for you. (even seeing you on it doesn't answer everything)

The only concerns I see are the saddle tipped down like that could cause you to put too much pressure on your hands. I would rotate the bars down so the hoods and tops of the bars are level, but that's more cosmetic. If the saddle to bar feels good, go with it. If you're curious and you want to experiment with lower bars, try flipping the stem and ride it for a while like that. You can always flip back if you don't like it.
Old 07-11-13, 09:15 AM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
shhhh. its top secret.
Old 07-11-13, 09:21 AM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
If you talk to a company like Rivendell, everyone is riding frames that are too small and has too much seatpost visible. They also think any bar drop at all makes zero sense for all non-racing cyclists. Then again, they like quill stems, platform pedals, bar-end shifters and friction shifting. There is indeed no "normal".
Dang right.

Originally Posted by Elduderino2412
They probably would just talk about their favorite folk band for an hour
Na, they are very knowledgeable there and happy to talk to you about bikes, wheels, bags. Mark especially. They do do things differently though, which I like a lot.
Old 07-11-13, 09:22 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12736 Post(s)
Liked 7,635 Times in 4,050 Posts
Pinarello have REALLY lost it!
Old 07-11-13, 09:25 AM
Bluechip

Bikes: Salsa Fargo Ti, Cannondale CAAD9, Carbonello Fixed Gear, Specialized Epic Disc

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Pinarello have REALLY lost it!
I really did LOL on that one!
Old 07-11-13, 09:27 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 2,167 Times in 1,459 Posts
Come on. There's no reason to be shy you have a Motobecane
Old 07-11-13, 09:39 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by RJM
Na, they are very knowledgeable there and happy to talk to you about bikes, wheels, bags. Mark especially. They do do things differently though, which I like a lot.
I definitely like that they are not shy about their opinions and build what they think makes sense. I wish more bike companies were passionate enough to go their own direction. Also, the Roadeo is friggen gorgeous if you ask me. Love it in white and blue.
Old 07-11-13, 09:43 AM
MattFoley

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm also of the shorter legs/longer torso variety and my setup isn't much different...my saddle is probably an inch higher than yours, in relation to the bars. It's a good compromise position for me, since I can relax and ride more upright on the hoods, but I can also comfortably ride in the drops for long periods of time during more spirited rides. I've thought about slamming the stem, which would be fine if I stayed on the hoods, but it would make it borderline uncomfortable to get in the drops for any length of time.
Old 07-11-13, 10:30 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Frame wrapped with black "hair scrunchies" to deter the interest of thieves.
Old 07-11-13, 10:50 AM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I would guess the bike shop fitting did little or nothing with the bars. The most important part of fit is the leg extension, so that is what most fitters concentrate on. Lower the bars as you see fit; you have lots of room. I've noticed the bars on most showroom bikes are set high so the shop can leave lots of steerer length and lots of room for downward adjustment.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 07-11-13, 10:55 AM
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!

Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by martinus
If the saddle would be level, you wouldnt need the bars rolled up, like that... ( to use, to push yourself back up on to the saddle/your sit bones... since you are prolly sliding off/down, sitting on your giblets. )

That said, dont flip the stem or slam it, that is a fit issue ...
If you like the height on both leave it, but if you need the extra hight from the handlebar beeing rolled up, get a higher angle stem. ( and still keept he bars "level". )

If all else fails, het a "tall headtube bike" ...

Here is a publicity pic of my bike :

Here is how mine, looks:
Why is your bike in the witness protection program? Did it rat out a mob boss?
Old 07-11-13, 11:00 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 430 Posts
nice bike
ride it
don;t worry be happy
Old 07-11-13, 11:19 AM
Elduderino2412
Tour De French Fries

Bikes: 2010 Cervelo R3 SL & 2013 Airborne Goblin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jsharr
Why is your bike in the witness protection program? Did it rat out a mob boss?
It's the new Colnago Henry Hill Jr. Edition
Old 07-11-13, 11:26 AM
clydeosaur

Bikes: Cannondale Six5, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR & old Hard Rock

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I went through something similar 4 or 5 years ago. I bought a road bike & started out with a fitting & bars level with my saddle

As time went on, I became more flexible and more comfortable in a lower position. As well, My mileage & riding kept improving. As of the last picture (last year) you can see the changes I have gone through.
These changes were due to comfort, not looks.

Since the last picture, I have cut the fork & dropped another one or two cm.
Attached Images
Old 07-11-13, 12:17 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
This isn't Hot or Not - let's dial it back a notch. The lever position is fine - there's a nice transition from the bars to the hoods, it just looks bad because the stem is up and the bars continue that upward slope.
The transition may be fine but having the hoods and bars rotated up like that isn't. The ends of the bars are not level, which would make using an aggressive position in the drops pretty dang uncomfortable on the wrists. I see people riding around with this configuration and usually its because they have no idea what they are doing and are just trying to achieve a higher riding position. No good fitter would consider that an appropriate bar angle. If anything the shifters could be moved higher on the hoods, or different bars and/or stem could be used to achieve the same height, but bar rotation isn't the way to achieve that.
Old 07-11-13, 12:19 PM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
The transition may be fine but having the hoods and bars rotated up like that isn't. The ends of the bars are not level, which would make using an aggressive position in the drops pretty dang uncomfortable on the wrists. I see people riding around with this configuration and usually its because they have no idea what they are doing and are just trying to achieve a higher riding position. No good fitter would consider that an appropriate bar angle. If anything the shifters could be moved higher on the hoods, or different bars and/or stem could be used to achieve the same height, but bar rotation isn't the way to achieve that.
Agreed. Looks like the bikeshop just rotated the bars to get some heigh instead of changing the stem or going through the work to move the briftes.
Old 07-11-13, 12:26 PM
MoreBlackSwan

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale CAAD10 5, 90's Scott Hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi all, thanks for the advice and responses...I really appreciate you all helping out a newbie like me. I will upload more pics shortly.

Originally Posted by Elduderino2412
w/o seeing you on the bike it's just a crap shot, but i'm guessing your legs aren't that short. You should have like a 10-15 degree bend at most when legs are extended. Also your handlebars are rolled to far up. Drops should be parallel to the ground. You will get more flexible the more you cycle. Stretch your back, neck and legs everyday if you can. Maybe he just set the bike up that way until you get more flexible.
I'm thinking this is the case. He watched me cycling for a few minutes and did mention that I tensed up my shoulders a lot while riding. However, I'm not super inflexible or anything - I'm 28 yrs old and stay pretty active. I ride everyday to work (15 mi round trip) then usually do one 40-50 mi long ride during the weekend. I'm guessing he just wanted me to comfortable with the bike for now and then adjust it as I go.

Originally Posted by justkeepedaling
There's no real reason for this setup unless you are super unflexible and/or on a frame too big (referring to seatpost height). Is your saddle even parallel to the ground?
He adjusted saddle to make it parallel. I will upload new pics with better angles.

Originally Posted by StanSeven
That's hard to believe that's a 56 and you are 6 foot. Unless you have very short legs and little flexibility, it looks way off. Post some pics of you on the bike.

When you said fitting, what did that consist of and how long did it take? Was the shop employee knowledgable?
Hi Stan, thanks for the response. It is a 56cm, I am 6' (just measured in doctors office last month). I'm 28 and pretty active so it's not like I'm super inflexible. My inseam is around 31-32" I'm guessing.

The fitting took about 20 minutes. It is the kind that comes free with a bike purchase, see "new bike fit": https://helenscycles.com/articles/hel...tting-pg78.htm

He took the front wheel off and put it on one of those things where you can pedal your bike like a stationary bike. I hopped on, he took various measurements of both legs in different positions. He used some kind of tool (maybe a level?) to measure where my feet when my legs were at the bottom of the pedal stroke. He watched me cycle for about 1-2 minutes, gave me some tips on stretching, adjusted the saddle.... that was pretty much it. He seemed very knowledgeable about cycling and answered all of my questions well. The shop is Helen's Cycles in Santa Monica. It's a pretty big shop, with multiple locations so it isn't a shady place or anything.

Originally Posted by Nihilum
Have you dropped your handlebars down? If not, I'd suggest that as a starting point if you're really looking for a more aggressive geometry. I ride a less aggressive Cannondale Synaspe 7 Sora, but my brother rides a CAAD and he had the same issue. He lowered the handlebars by removing the steering stem spacers.

Question: Did they do an actual fitment (take an hour or more where they take actual body measurements) or did they just do an initial set-up where they just made sure your legs were at the right positions at the bottom and top of your pedal stroke?
Thanks for the tip Nihilum. I haven't dropped the handlebars yet but I will do.

The fitting took about 20 minutes with no body measurements. It seemed to be more like the initial set-up where they measured my legs at the bottom and top of the pedal stroke, watched me ride for 1-2 minutes, then adjusted the seat post/saddle. I don't think he adjusted the bars at all.

Originally Posted by RJM
Do you find you reach too far for the hoods; are you feeling too stretched out? My bike has the saddle level with the handlebars and it is extremely comfortable, and I can use the drops all day long if I wanted to. I wouldn't judge a fitting by that alone...for sure.

Edited to say that I think your saddle is pointed down a bit much.
I don't feel stretched out at all. It feels very comfortable, but I'm just getting this feeling that this position is not typical by seeing all the other road bikes out there with their saddles higher.
I am willing to sacrifice comfort for performance.

Originally Posted by Jed19
As mentioned by datlas, you may start by flipping the stem. That should bring the bars slightly lower than your saddle (all other things being set up correctly). To specifically answer your question though, no, it is not normal to have that kind of setup on a race bike meant specifically for the kind of riding you intend to do.
Originally Posted by mihlbach
There are no set rules. You have a lot of room to experiment. Flip your stem and put some of the spacers above the stem. Try numerous configurations and see what works best. Focus in whats comfortable, not what it looks like. Keep in mind, if you are new at this, the optimal setup will be a moving target as your fitness improves.
Thanks for the tip guys.

Originally Posted by JTGraphics
Along with everyones good advice remember it's not about the looks it's about the fit and your comfort, as long as you fill good thats all you shoud be concerned about. If not then seek a good fitter some shops fit you but its an general fitting and might I ask did this shop have all the sizes up and down you were looking for or did they sell you something because thats what was on the floor.
Thanks JT....they had all the sizes up and down.. just a massive amount of cannondales everywhere in their store.

Originally Posted by bikerjp
Have you measured your cycling inseam? That saddle looks pretty low for someone 6' tall on a 56". I'm 6'3" on a 58 and I have a lot of seat post. Probably could ride a 60-61. Your saddle/bars do not have to conform to any rules but there is a general trend for road bars to be lower than the saddle. If this is properly fit then it's properly fit. However, without some more data (like cycling inseam) it's hard to say. It's possible the shop set you up based on preconceived notions about newer riders rather than something more comprehensive and based on your actual body style and flexibility. A pic of you on the bike would probably help.
I have not measured my cycling inseam. I will posts some pics of me on the bike.

Originally Posted by Will Goes Boing
Well first off, you have like a bajillion inches worth of spacers AND your stem is at a positive angle. If you want your bars to be lower than your saddle all you have to do is place the spacers on top of the stem instead of below it, and then flip your stem.

I work at a bike shop and from personal experience I have seen some customers that need their saddle really low even with the proper leg extension. For people who are chubby/heavy set the problem seems to amplify drastically.

I agree with the fitter that a 54 would be too cramped for you. If it bugs you that the saddle is so low... do what I said and just flip the stem and slam it.
Thanks for the advice, will try flipping.

Originally Posted by gaucho777
No, that set up does not look right to me. You might see the hoods higher than saddle on touring or city bikes (a la the "French Fit," though even then it's usually at or sligtly below saddle level) , but not on a bike such as yours. Plus, the downward saddle angle is just wrong. I'm about your height (5'11") and also have long torso/short legs, but would not want to ride your bike for very long. If that were my bike, I'd start by flipping the stem, leveling the saddle and tilting handlebars forward. Start with a minimal saddle-to-bar drop, and lower as your comfort/flexibility allows. Oh, and ask for a refund from that fitter.
Thanks for the tips, Gaucho. The fit came free with the bike purchase.

Originally Posted by bengreen79
Don't compare your setup to the setup you see on bike photos in magazines. No one is riding those - they're just taking pictures. Instead look how people who are actually riding are setup for a more real life comparison. Even in the tour, some of the guys are using less aggressive setups than some of the guys here. It's no indication of skill.

Yours does look a little "mild" but that doesn't mean it doesn't fit right. My Allez is a 56.5 cm. I tried a 54 but I felt cramped on it. It may have been fixable with a long stem and setback post but at the time I was 45 lbs heavier than I am now and flexibility wasn't a strongpoint of mine.

Edit: For perspective, I'm 5'11.5" and my cycling inseam with shoes on is only ~32 in. Short legs here too.
We are very similar in height and inseam. I feel comfortable on it now, I'm just wondering if a more aggressive position is better for performance and speed.

Originally Posted by bikebreak
Yeah, ride the bike, do stretching (after the ride), gain strength and flexibility.

Your seat will come up and your bars will come down. You may also need to get a longer stem.

In the meantime, google french fit and eddy fit. People really do ride bikes like that.
Originally Posted by topflightpro
That looks fine.

Thanks for advice guys, I feel pretty good on it now.

Originally Posted by pallen
Without seeing you on the bike, no one can say if its right for you. (even seeing you on it doesn't answer everything)

The only concerns I see are the saddle tipped down like that could cause you to put too much pressure on your hands. I would rotate the bars down so the hoods and tops of the bars are level, but that's more cosmetic. If the saddle to bar feels good, go with it. If you're curious and you want to experiment with lower bars, try flipping the stem and ride it for a while like that. You can always flip back if you don't like it.
Thanks for advice, feels good now but im going to experiment with flipping and see how that feels too.

Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff
I would guess the bike shop fitting did little or nothing with the bars. The most important part of fit is the leg extension, so that is what most fitters concentrate on. Lower the bars as you see fit; you have lots of room. I've noticed the bars on most showroom bikes are set high so the shop can leave lots of steerer length and lots of room for downward adjustment.
Yes Brian, you are correct. They just measured the leg extension and didn't touch the bars. Will lowering the bars really help my performance a lot?

Originally Posted by clydeosaur
I went through something similar 4 or 5 years ago. I bought a road bike & started out with a fitting & bars level with my saddle

As time went on, I became more flexible and more comfortable in a lower position. As well, My mileage & riding kept improving. As of the last picture (last year) you can see the changes I have gone through.
These changes were due to comfort, not looks.

Since the last picture, I have cut the fork & dropped another one or two cm.
Nice bike! Did you see a big difference in performance when you changed to a lower position?

Last edited by MoreBlackSwan; 07-11-13 at 12:30 PM.
Old 07-11-13, 12:27 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
And what does any of this have to do with me rebutting the singular point of, "your hoods should not be rolld up that high on the bars"?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.