Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

How tall are you and what size frames do you ride?

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

How tall are you and what size frames do you ride?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-14, 11:42 PM
ofgit

Bikes: Mostly '80s MIJ steel.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
65" and like 52cm road frames. Compensate for different TT lengths with bar/stem/saddle adjustments or changes.
Old 07-23-14, 10:51 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,467 Times in 1,434 Posts
Any insights or conclusions from this thread?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-24-14, 07:36 PM
registrar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
5"8 fits 54cm road bike! or 51cm is ok too !

Old 07-25-14, 12:51 PM
bike_forever

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am 5'10"
For a classic fit mostly I ride 56cm but I can ride some 54cm bikes. I prefer a 58cm for more comfort on a long ride... 60+ miles.
Old 07-25-14, 01:51 PM
cicli_masi
TEAM GARMIN-SHARP

Bikes: MASI Gran Criterium

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 5'11", 32" inseam, ride a 56. Never did get fitted. Shame on me. I think I'm on the right size. I've dialed it in to where I'm most comfortable and effective.

Last edited by cicli_masi; 07-27-14 at 09:29 AM.
Old 07-25-14, 04:09 PM
Lone

Bikes: Pinarello Veneto

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
5'7" with a 49cm classic geometry frame.
Old 07-28-14, 06:38 PM
Moyene Corniche

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Insight or conclusion from this thread so far is that many ride oversized frames, therefore being perched on the bike rather than nestled within.

At 6'3" I ride a 58cm Cannondale Caad frame with a 57.5 cc top tube, 56cc seat tube, 62cm reach ( measured point of saddle to handlebar inside diameter on angle current with seat to handlebar drop ), 13.5cc stem, 44cm width bars, 16cm Seat to handlebar drop, 85cm seat height center BB to horizontal top seat. And 172.5mm cranks. So Aluminium frame, TI handlebars, stem and seat post and saddle rails, Campagnolo Chorus Gruppo, Carbon cranks, Frt & Rear derailleurs ( cages Carbon ) Look Keo red pedals, Mavic Cosmos wheels ( great for everyday training ) Conti gator skins tires 23's.
To most the set up depicted will look offline. However this has been my racing setup for years. Is actually the bike I ride wether it's a 30km easy spin or a 5 hour 120+km ride in the hills.

I also have an old late 80's Paletti frame in my basement ( a 62cm ) which I bought from Branford Bike ages ago. Raced it One season and shelved it as it was always too big, giving me the feeling of being perched on a fence rather than on a bike. Have been pretty much on Cannons since the 90's, Raleigh Militi 3 carbon and a couple more alum. Cadd Cannondales will be the quiver for next years racing. May also consider a Cervelo or Specialized Tarmac.

Last edited by Moyene Corniche; 07-28-14 at 07:10 PM.
Old 07-28-14, 07:42 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,467 Times in 1,434 Posts
I see no insights or patterns or conclusions here. Where is this thread going?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-29-14, 08:14 AM
e_guevara

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD10 Team, Giant TCR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Personally, frame sizing from the rider's height is not going to provide meaningful information due to a lot of variables:

With regard to bicycle frames:
  1. Manufacturers have different standards of frame sizing, with most using the seat tube length as the frame's size. This has nothing to do with fit on the bike as a short seat tube can be fixed with a longer seat post.
  2. The matter is complicated further with sloping top tubes. A good example is Colnago that offers frames in both traditional (horizontal top tube) and sloping geometries.
  3. Giant offers frames in XS to XL, limiting the available sizes.
  4. Even with similar top tube lengths, frame sizes vary in stack and reach from one manufacturer to another.
  5. Manufacturers offer different geometries to fit different riding styles (competitive, endurance, etc.). See above.
  6. An under/over-sized frame's reach can be remedied with different length stems (up to a certain degree to not affect handling).
  7. Stack can be remedied with spacers underneath the stem.

With regard to rider's anatomy:
  1. Not everybody has similar proportions - some have short torsos, long arms, and every other combination thereof.
  2. Flexibility may fit the rider into smaller frames than the height suggests. Some may not be that flexible. The opposite can also be true.
  3. Riding style affects the choice of frame size and geometry.

If anything, a rider's height will only give a ballpark figure on what size frame he/she should be riding.
Old 07-29-14, 04:03 PM
xtoefield

Bikes: 7.1FX, 7.2FX, 7.4FX, Fuji feather

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
6'2 and ride 22.5" Trek hybrids. Great riding level even with the stock seat.
Old 07-29-14, 09:56 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
It wasn't likely to go anywhere anyway.

I'm doing an unscientific poll.
Just because I like participating in these things, I'm 5'8" and prefer frames that are 57cm square. With shoes on, I can stand straddling the top tube, but this is academic as I never need to when actually riding.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 07-30-14, 07:53 PM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
6'2 with a 35" inseam. I ride a 59.5 colnago.
Old 07-30-14, 07:58 PM
Rich Gibson 

Bikes: Fuji Rubaix 1.0

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm participating because the OP asked. 5' 10" 30' inseam..56cm Trek FX 7.6 and Fuji Rubaix 1.0.

Rich
Old 08-01-14, 04:31 PM
LGHT

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL3, Nishiki Pro Hybrid SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm a new rider and I think my bike may be a bit big. I'm 5'8 and a half and riding a 58 Specialized Comp. I can ride it ok, but I think a 56 may be a better fit. Since I got the bike used and only had a $500 budget I just got it anyway since it was a good deal.
Old 08-22-14, 01:51 PM
AndyK 

Bikes: '11 TIME NXR Instinct, '03 De Rosa Planet '79 Paris Sport (Moulton)

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Moyene Corniche
Insight or conclusion from this thread so far is that many ride oversized frames, therefore being perched on the bike rather than nestled within.

At 6'3" I ride a 58cm Cannondale Caad frame with a 57.5 cc top tube, 56cc seat tube, 62cm reach ( measured point of saddle to handlebar inside diameter on angle current with seat to handlebar drop ), 13.5cc stem, 44cm width bars, 16cm Seat to handlebar drop, 85cm seat height center BB to horizontal top seat. And 172.5mm cranks. So Aluminium frame, TI handlebars, stem and seat post and saddle rails, Campagnolo Chorus Gruppo, Carbon cranks, Frt & Rear derailleurs ( cages Carbon ) Look Keo red pedals, Mavic Cosmos wheels ( great for everyday training ) Conti gator skins tires 23's.
To most the set up depicted will look offline. However this has been my racing setup for years. Is actually the bike I ride wether it's a 30km easy spin or a 5 hour 120+km ride in the hills.

I also have an old late 80's Paletti frame in my basement ( a 62cm ) which I bought from Branford Bike ages ago. Raced it One season and shelved it as it was always too big, giving me the feeling of being perched on a fence rather than on a bike. Have been pretty much on Cannons since the 90's, Raleigh Militi 3 carbon and a couple more alum. Cadd Cannondales will be the quiver for next years racing. May also consider a Cervelo or Specialized Tarmac.

Holy cr@p that's a lot of drop!

Old 08-22-14, 02:01 PM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Jseis
5'10", size 13+ feet, 32" inseam, longish torso, 34" sleeve, XL mitts. My road bikes are 54cm to 58cm.
I missed your post earlier! Sounds like you're someone good to talk to about accessories for us normal sized people with extra large feet and hands.
Old 08-22-14, 02:10 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Any insights or conclusions from this thread?
As someone who fits a lot of people to a lot of bikes the conclusion is that there are too many variables in regard to a simple height measurement to give fitting information, in addition to using measurements I also fit people dynamically to see how they ride as in many cases, one can suggest improvements / adjustments.
Old 08-22-14, 02:15 PM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
As someone who fits a lot of people to a lot of bikes the conclusion is that there are too many variables in regard to a simple height measurement to give fitting information, in addition to using measurements I also fit people dynamically to see how they ride as in many cases, one can suggest improvements / adjustments.
I can only think of two things that hugely matter, please correct me if I am wrong. (In terms of fit on an appropriately sized frame that is)

1 Seat position: Seat height for proper leg extension, seat fore to aft for preservation of the knees and comfort,

2 Bar height, fore/aft as well to avoid over extension/being crunched up/too much weight on the hands/wrists
Old 08-22-14, 02:22 PM
JPeters

Bikes: Fuji Suncrest 2001 and a battered Colnago Super '77

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by LGHT
I'm a new rider and I think my bike may be a bit big. I'm 5'8 and a half and riding a 58 Specialized Comp. I can ride it ok, but I think a 56 may be a better fit. Since I got the bike used and only had a $500 budget I just got it anyway since it was a good deal.

I did the same thing when I saw a Colnago Super for only a €100 and had to buy it: 5'8'' and the bike is 58 cm too.

I thought I'd sell it on since the typical advice on here suggests its too big, but after a few adjustments (raising seat slightly and lowering handlebars) it fits like a glove. I've since ridden on bikes that are 50, 53, and 56 cm, but I'm more comfortable, and faster, on the Colnago. I've done 50 kilometre rides on it, commute on it, and had no comfort problems (since I found the right adjustments for me, that is). I can show pics, but I'm sure people will tell me I cannot possibly be comfortable and fast.

I noticed the BB is real low, which makes a difference I guess, and I can't do the typical bikeforums thing of having a handlebar drop that's 5 inches below my seat height, but I ride city streets as much as long-distance so I don't want my ass pointing at the sky and my face looking at the road all the time. I can still get pretty aero by just bending so my back is horizontal and my face is virtually touching the the handlebars (flexibility is just as important as measurements for fit, in my experience).

My advice to you is to just ride a lot, and don't be afraid to tinker with the handlebar adjustments (all of them) as well as seat posts. Eventually you'll find something that works fine.
Old 08-22-14, 06:06 PM
Moyene Corniche

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AndyK
Holy cr@p that's a lot of drop!
Not for a racing bike, I have long arms and legs and I'm 6'3". Position here has to be with the least frontal resistance. Meaning if I'm on the hoods or in the drops, it is necessary to have my back flattened so that frontal area pushing the air from the waist up is predominantly my shoulders, not chest and stomach area.
There is a vast difference between optimal position for a recreational rider versus racing in Cat II and sometimes Pro I/II races. It's all about attaining efficiency on the bike. Or the least amount of energy expended at any one moment.
If your position on the hoods or in the drops is basically upright, a large percentage of your energy expenditure is wasted in overcoming air resistance. We all have to move thru the air but there is little value in imitating a spinnaker against a headwind ...
Old 08-22-14, 10:19 PM
Jseis 
Other Worldly Member

Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, 2003 Colnago Dream Lux, 2014 Giant Defy 1, 2015 Framed Bikes Minnesota 3.0, several older family Treks

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by RaleighSport
I missed your post earlier! Sounds like you're someone good to talk to about accessories for us normal sized people with extra large feet and hands.
I've tried Serfas and Time shoes with no luck as my feet aren't fitting the lasts, particularly my right foot (1 euro size larger than left A fitter I ran into suggested Louie Garneau as their shoe last is more constructed for American feet and he definitely recommended heat formed soles. I now wear Pearl Izumi MTB shoes Euro 48 on my road bike for rides up to 25-30 miles...but going to move to a Euro 49 to solve the right foot fit. Gloves are personal preference but I'm currently wearing Giro Bravo SF gloves XL.

A suggestion...maybe shop CL or swap meets for cheap used shoes to try out the fit. That fitter I met? He said finding the right shoe is the single hardest thing for a road cyclist.
Old 08-22-14, 10:26 PM
douglasfir

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i am 5'11"
Old 08-22-14, 10:34 PM
Lanceoldstrong
Family, Health, Cycling

Bikes: Roubaix S-Works, Univega Gran Turismo

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
6 feet 1/2 inch and I ride a 56 cm.
Old 08-22-14, 11:20 PM
AAZ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am 6'0" exactly. I find that 61cm seat tubes with 57-58cm top tubes fit me best.
I don't want to stretch out over the top tube anymore.
Old 08-23-14, 08:40 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
It's just drifting onward inconclusively.. another I got an 'X' hamster wheel thread ..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.