Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Sturmey archer ?

Old 05-20-20, 08:44 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 49 Posts
Sturmey archer ?

i ordered a sturmey-archer 2spd coaster brake hub ... my "idea" is to use it on my fixed because im getting olderrr and i ride more flat than hills ... i could have gone SS but i herbally deducted that the 2spd auto coaster set up would be a practical & permanent way to ride ... my thinking & ordering took place around 2AM so i am seeking affirmation (or chastisement ) ... i have never ridden a SA but i have seen 1 in a bike shop >>> i invite any manner of comment or CRITICISM because i made this decision without any 1st hand knowledge or consultation with a bike mech
Old 05-20-20, 12:04 PM
Mikefule

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 23 Posts
It's a very good idea.

Some people will tell you hub gears are "heavy". They forget how heavy a derailleur mech and a rear block are.

Some people will refer to the friction losses in the planetary gears, forgetting that a derailleur chain is seldom running straight from chainring to sprocket.

A hub gear is simple, clean and low maintenance.

I don't specifically know about the 2 speed version. I do know that the usual 3 speed has direct drive for the middle gear. Top gear is direct drive plus 33% and bottom gear is direct drive less 25%.

The point is that one ratio is direct drive with no friction losses in the gears, and one goes through the gear train with a small amount of friction loss.

A keen cyclist with a 3 speed sets up the middle gear at their preferred "single speed ratio" and saves the high gear for downhill or downwind, and the low gear for up hill and up wind. It's like 3 single speeds in one.

With this principle in mind, you can set up your 2 speed so that you have "normal ratio" plus a low gear, or "normal ratio" plus a high gear. Whether you prefer to have that extra option on the ups or on the down is up to you.

As for the coaster brake, aided and abetted by a conventional front brake, you will have a very relaxing and enjoyable ride.

A small part of me is jealous. I cannot afford another bike (2 bikes, 4 unicycles, 1 ultimate wheel, 1 motorbike, 2 boats, 2 kayaks in the garage already) but I'd like another hub geared bike.

Enjoy, and ignore the critics — most of whom have never ridden one.
Old 05-20-20, 08:43 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 118 Posts
Sounds like it should be just the thing. I think the SA has a normal and step-up gear, so you might need a smaller chainring to get a pair of ratios that you're happy with. I've got a SA 3 speed coaster on my winter bike.
Old 05-21-20, 06:05 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 66 Posts
I think it is a great idea and look forward to future posts when you've had the chance to test it for yourself.

I would still run a front brake. Front brakes are very efficient and will supplement the braking of the rear hub. And, although it likely will never happen, should something go wrong with the rear brake, you can still safely stop your bike.
Old 05-21-20, 01:51 PM
Mikefule

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by TugaDude View Post
I think it is a great idea and look forward to future posts when you've had the chance to test it for yourself.

I would still run a front brake. Front brakes are very efficient and will supplement the braking of the rear hub. And, although it likely will never happen, should something go wrong with the rear brake, you can still safely stop your bike.
Always have a front brake. The front brake does most of the work. When you brake hard, your weight is thrown onto the front wheel (more grip) and off the back wheel (less grip). On a good surface, the front brake is your friend. On a bad surface (ice, loose gravel, mud) or for slowing smoothly in traffic, the back brake is your friend.
Old 05-21-20, 02:19 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 49 Posts
i run a front brake on my fixed and will surely keep it to begin with
Old 05-22-20, 06:30 PM
robsta

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've had one of these wheels(non hub brake version) for about 10-12 years. Used it a lot to tour around Japan.
Most of the time I have the usual fixed/non fixed flip flop hub. If I know I will have a lot of hills on it goes.
Works great, one day I intend to strip it down and service but I keep kicking that can down the street.
Regarding gearing. I used to have a 39 tooth chain ring with an 18 tooth cog. This gave me a climbing gear of about 58 gear inches and a flat gear of about 80. I still had to get off and push a few times (quite a few times in the Alps) but quite workable.
I have just bought a 21 tooth cog for my next trip as it will be very hilly.
If you have any questions please let me know.
Likes For robsta:
Old 05-24-20, 02:27 AM
somepetalhead

Bikes: BIANCHI SAN JOSE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
SA are amazing wether its just the coaster break or the multi speed set ups. im not sure why coasters get a bad rap. it beats having break lines on your rims and a clean look. but i also am not skidding nor racing into traffic. I have only had to repair one and Ive been using coaster breaks for a long while. toss a gucci freewheel on it and call it a day.

the weight is noticeable in the rear but im not a w weight weenie nor afraid to caryy 20-3lbs a few flights of stairs or what ever.