Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What do old people ride, lets see your bike[s]

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

What do old people ride, lets see your bike[s]

Old 05-22-20, 04:49 PM
big john

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 484 Times in 309 Posts
Originally Posted by Lenton58 View Post
Here I am with two of the four I am riding these days on the flood plains and levees on local rivers. On this day, a friend was riding my blue Dawes Atlantis. It's on clinchers with a mixture of Ultra/600, Nitto and other bits, including sealed hubs and BB. It's a 58cm — the largest size I can ride..
They look nice from what we can see of them. I would like to see other pictures if you have them. tia
Old 05-22-20, 05:28 PM
Lenton58 

Bikes: Vitus 979, Simplon 4-Star (Romani), Woodrup Giro, Gazelle AB, Dawes Atlantis

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by big john View Post
They look nice from what we can see of them. I would like to see other pictures if you have them. tia
Sure, and thanks for the interest. I'll get on that soon. I gave lots of pics of the Dawes ... just have to update the Gazelle.
Old 05-22-20, 08:10 PM
probe1957

Bikes: 2020 Scott Speedster 10 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by probe1957 View Post
Since I can’t figure out how to edit my post I will have to do it this way. So sorry.

This 63 year olds new ride. Scott Speedster 10 Disc. Aluminum frame. CF fork. 105 components. My only upgrade so far is the Selle Anatomica saddle.
Old 05-24-20, 08:37 AM
Lenton58 

Bikes: Vitus 979, Simplon 4-Star (Romani), Woodrup Giro, Gazelle AB, Dawes Atlantis

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Here are some better photos of the Gazelle AB (Reynolds 531c) and Dawes (Reynolds 531). I also ride a Vitus 979 (bonded aluminum) and a Simplon (perhaps conracted to Romani) in Reynolds 531.I have a Woodrup in pieces.

Old 05-24-20, 09:09 AM
Lenton58 

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnk3 View Post
I guess I am Old enough at 72 to count. Here is my current main ride.

I"m the same age (72), and I've wanted a Cinelli since I was 16 !— SIGH! What a beauty!
Old 05-24-20, 01:30 PM
big john

Originally Posted by Lenton58 View Post
Here are some better photos of the Gazelle AB (Reynolds 531c) and Dawes (Reynolds 531). I also ride a Vitus 979 (bonded aluminum) and a Simplon (perhaps conracted to Romani) in Reynolds 531.I have a Woodrup in pieces.
Thanks! Love the colors on the Dawes.
Old 05-24-20, 05:26 PM
Lenton58 

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks! Love the colors on the Dawes.
Thanks John! As a previous owner explained to me, the colors are as an exact replica that "Argos" could manage to produce. That meant the 'fade' between the two hues had to be like the original. The Dawes decals were produced from scratch. The only thing missing is a replica of the Union Jack which was originally found on the downtube. (I cannot imagine what the difficulty was.) At the time it was done, Argos was the only restoration facility that still used stove enamel.

This was a pretty expensive build — by my standards anyway — and went over budget. It's a very nice ride, and the geometry is perfect for getting power down on the cranks. The 58cm frame is a bit big for me at 5'9", but it handles well ... so OK. The old Weinmann (??) brakes don't come up to stopping power like say Ultegra/600, or even the inexpensive DiaCompe 101's (which I really like a lot) that are on my single-speed Simplon 4-Star. Being on clinchers, I don't have to carry a spare tub — just a tube in a sock and a cartridge inflater stuffed in my bum bag. My other bikes need my carrying around a folded tub. I've walked home too many times. )
Old 05-24-20, 08:36 PM
akohekohe
The Professor

Bikes: Alex Moulton Double Pylon, Surly Big Dummy, Alex Moulton GT, AZUB TiFly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
AZUB TiFly
Likes For akohekohe:
Old 05-27-20, 10:06 AM
Lenton58 

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Two more

Here are two more bikes that I ride. Unlike my other bikes, the Vitus 979 came built up with Mavic rims, Campy hubs and a collection of Sugino bits. It had been raced in Iron Man competition, and a mid-80's crash in Hawaii retired the previous owner for life. Nicknamed by racers as "The Noodlle", even I can flex it enough to induce auto changing on the cluster. The renowned Sean Kelly rode one to huge success in Europe. He was not heavy as I understand, and he was noted for a smooth riding style. A commensurate fact is that this bonded Duraluminum frame had two versions. Some were water-marked and destined to be team bikes. These machines were "pinned" at the lower bracket shell thereby reducing flex. The record shows that these frames were assembled by a French Aerospace Company, which makes sense cuz the French were early innovators in composite materials airframes. However, my research suggests that the team bikes were finished in the Vitus workshops.

The Italian Alan was a similar idea, but the tubes were a mechanical fit. Many 979 Vitus bikes came apart in time. The last place known to have rebonded them was in Vancouver — gone years ago. It is reported that it was not the bond that failed. It was corrosion between the bonding agent and the aluminum tubing. So any owner is best advised to keep these frames well waxed if riding in the rain, and wiping them down after use. Mine is still rock solid. The ride feels like steel — just flightier due to the lightness.

Next is a Simplon ... from a Swiss company that originally built boats before getting into bikes. Later, they got into top-flight, off-road machines. This is a Four Star road model in Reynolds 531. There was a 'Five Star' model; there is little evidence of them left around. From what I have seen in a few photographs, I want one!

Simplon's early machines are a bit of a mystery, and I can't find out much about them. It bears a striking resemblance to a Romani — an Italian firm that built a lot of frames on contract for big names in European cycling — especially when demand out-stripped in-house production. One wonders .....

This bike was another of my frame-up builds, and put together as single speed. Mavic tub rims and 600 hubs — the rear hub being a 124 mm spaced Shimano 7 speed of the short-lived type where the cogs are stacked on splines and can be lifted out like in the modern cluster. This allowed a spacer set and a single BMX cog to be fitted. With some cutting and filing, I built up a 600 spider and ring combo that worked to give me a perfect chain line.

The frame triangle is asymmetrical — 56x54. This is perfect for my body dimensions. If I were to order a bespoke frame, I'd insist on the same dimensions. The geometry and feel of the bike show every sign of it's being intended for serious road racing, but my cranks may be too long, and I have to be alert to pedal strikes. No problem really cuz I ride merely for exercise. Still, I do get them ) I love riding this bike!

Vitus 979

Simplon 'Four Star'
Old 05-27-20, 12:45 PM
big john

When I joined the road bike club in 1989 several people had Vitus bikes and most complained about the noodle factor. They were all aluminum except one woman had a cf Vitus and she was quite fast in the mountains.
At least 2 people had the Alan bikes break at the headtube. Haven't seen one of those bikes in ages.