Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Converting an old camera bag into a handlebar bag?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Converting an old camera bag into a handlebar bag?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-20, 06:40 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
When you say MTB, I assume you mean something like a harness to hold a bikepacking dry bag on flat bars, but with those bars you never have your hands on that part of the handlebar
Not necessarily relevant to your post, but that reminded me... On the bar roll that I mentioned hanging a bag in front of, you can thread the straps for the bar roll through short lengths of pvc pipe to space it away from the bar. It works very nicely. The straps pass through going both directions.
Old 08-19-20, 09:51 AM
tgot 

Bikes: 1986 Centurion Ironman, 1997 Trek 2120, Trek T1000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 119 Posts
Thank you to all!

I ordered the Ortliebs.
Old 08-19-20, 10:19 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Doug has the older bar bag mount , now current version 6 is finally cross compatible with Klick Fix.
Klick Fix could already take Ortlieb bar bags..

Have version 3, 6 & KF, on bikes Here..
Old 01-01-22, 09:20 PM
BodnarDave

Bikes: Apollo Triathlon, BRC Roadace, CCM Imperial

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Am I glad I found you, 'Tourist in MSN'! I've been scouring the Net for the kind of cantilever-frame-mounted handlebar bag that I lost on a stolen bike recently. I got mine accessorizing my new Apollo in the mid-80s. The brand was 'Pike Sport', the colour was black. They also made a coordinating long bag for a rear rack. (Before I learned to chain it to the bike, that was stolen years ago, but was still identically replaceable with 'Blackburn' brand.) [I can't seem to attach 3 photos I have. Not enough posts, apparently.]

In all those years since, I've never seen another handlebar bag like it. Despite the bounce tendency (yes, the lower straps were necessary, and needed to be taut), I found it is the best design, as it leaves enough room for a gloved hand to grab the medial horizontal part of the drop-handlebar and to work the brake coaster levers. To rebuild my replacement bike, I want those bags again! Now in my search I have a couple of other brand names to look for. Thanks!

Last edited by BodnarDave; 01-01-22 at 09:28 PM. Reason: My reply, intended for 'Tourist in MSN', was inserted at end of thread. So I had to make it clear what I was talking about.