Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

64-year -old bicycle commuter in near sub zero weather. I good idea?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-18, 09:18 AM
italcyclist

Bikes: A vintage road bicycle, and hybrid and a mtb.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am a 64 - year - old bicycle commuter, and the current winter weather (the current 2018 winter weather) is making me wonder if bicycle commuter is a good idea.
I follow all the appropriate measures regarding dressing for cold weather,
i.e. layering. My wife thinks I am crazy. "You are no spring chicken, "she said to me the other day.
While I love riding my bicycle I would also enjoy hearing from fellow 60+ cyclists who ride in very cold weather.
Old 01-02-18, 09:32 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
It really depends on how cold and how far. I can ride longer distances if temperatures are above 25f. Any colder than that I limit myself to 45 minutes of riding at a time.

Be sure to avoid any and all cotton garments in freezing weather. Cotton will absorb perspiration and transmit cold temperatures when damp. Wool or synthetic fibers are required.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 01-02-18 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-02-18, 09:49 AM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I'm a big believer in merino wool base layers. On top of that, more wool or more modern synthetics. Head, face, hands, feet are the the weak points. Head and face is easier to protect, feet and hands require some special thought. Everyone has "what works best for me" as far as those two areas. There have been a couple threads in the General forum addressing those.
As far as your age, I don't really see where that has anything to do with cold weather riding assuming you are reasonably fit to ride in the first place. Extreme cold, however, does increase the difficulty level and surely needs to be considered.
I think one thing people don't consider for cold is what happens in case of breakdown and I'm not pedaling to keep warm any longer. I'm not sure I could change a flat in single digit temps so I need a "plan B". May be wise to carry extra outer layers on a rack or bag.
Old 01-02-18, 02:33 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
How long is your commute? Time of exposure makes a huge difference in terms of dealing with cold. I do early morning rides near freezing but they are limited to 50-60 minutes. For that amount of time, I'm ok mostly but my feet do get cold. Add 15-20 minutes and I think a lot more of me would start getting cold as well.

My biggest concern would be ice and a crash resulting from that. It rarely gets down to freezing where I live but I don't think I'd be riding if there was a risk of black ice. A broken hip gets harder and harder to recover from as you get older.
Old 01-02-18, 02:39 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Nah ... bad idea. Dial it back to 62 or at most 63, then head out.
Old 01-02-18, 02:54 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Any weather you’d consider skiing or skating in you can also ride in.
Don’t get hung up on the type of activity.
Old 01-02-18, 02:58 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I have an old MTB, with studded tires made in Finland..
Old 01-02-18, 03:20 PM
on2wheelsks

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Sirrus Elite, 2014 Secteur Elite

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Our local group got out yesterday when it was zero degrees Fahrenheit, rode 7 miles just to start the year off right. 5 of us are over 50, I am 63 years young.
Pat
Old 01-02-18, 03:34 PM
ModeratedUser150120149

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, tough question to answer. Cold weather can kill. Not as easily as Hot weather. But it does happen. So, the mere fact that you asked the question makes me wonder if you are mentally and physically equipped to be out in cold weather. If you are doesn't make any difference what you are doing. It all works.

Back in antiquity we used to take our Scouts out for the Forty Below badge. The rules required an overnight camp. Had to be Forty Below at night. Actually, once they and their parents got used to the idea it was a pretty routine kind of thing. In today's Hover Parent/No Risk kind of world don't know if that is done any more.

(Oh yes, don't, do not, allow the calendar to determine what you will, or will not, do. It is your personal mental and physical fitness that gives you the ability. Not that artificial time keeping machine.)

Last edited by ModeratedUser150120149; 01-02-18 at 03:38 PM.
Old 01-02-18, 03:53 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Be sure to cover the mouth and nose too. Really helps offset the effects of cold dry air.

I prefer disposable paper surgical masks, the kind with elastic loops that hook behind the ears. You can buy 'em by the box at any pharmacy. Much more hygienic and convenient than fabric masks, balaclavas, etc. They'll get soggy quickly from respiration at best, and snotty at worst. Toss the surgical masks. Carry spares for the return ride, or to replace periodically with longer rides.

This works for me on rides down to 20F with wind chill even lower. On longer rides I'll get beard icicles below the mask from respiration moisture accumulation, but the mask itself remains thawed. Helps protect the face too, although my beard helps with that.

I know some image conscious cyclists who wouldn't be seen wearing a paper surgical mask in public, but you can still wear the cosmetically acceptable name brand balaclava or other mask over the disposable paper mask.

In my neighborhood the only person I've seen wearing paper surgical masks in public is my Japanese neighbor. Very common in Japan and she just continued the practice here in Texas.
Old 01-02-18, 04:04 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I'm not 60 yet, but I tend to feel like anything around 5 or 6° is starting to be dangerous enough to take special care with. Under 10° really, since we don't see it all that often here (similar to North Texas winters).

That said, on a commute that's, say, only half an hour, it shouldn't necessarily stop you just from an age standpoint. As long as you can keep up the watts for that amount of time, and the bike is reliable enough. Personally I do it at those temps, but I don't really enjoy it as much and I don't think I've ever gone for a recreational ride when it was super-cold.
Old 01-02-18, 04:04 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
BTW, for layering it's hard to beat the value of Champion brand t-shirts, short and long sleeve. The "Vapor" type fabric is best, but any of their poly wicking fabric shirts are fine for winter and summer wear.

For more money the best I've tried is Pearl Izumi's Transfer fabric base layer. Best $30 I ever spent was on a Pearl Izumi Transfer sleeveless undershirt. I've worn it year 'round, including summers under dressy shirts to be sure perspiration evaporates evenly without printing through to the cotton outer shirt.

Spending double or triple the money really does buy better fabric. The Pearl Izumi Transfer fabric feels slightly spongey. It immediately conforms to body temperature so it always feels comfortable. And it never gets soggy or clammy feeling.

For my legs under my jeans or other trousers, I just wear $5 women's tights from Walgreen's. Same poly wicking fabric used by many sports apparel makers. The fabric feels and works the same as my Pearl Izumi arm warmers and Nashbar knee warmers. Another guy I ride with recently admitted he wears exactly the same tights under his jeans. Hell, they're comfy and they work!

I'm 5'11", 160 lbs, and the women's medium works for me. The waistband fits better on the tights with textured fabric. The smoother fabric feels great but the waistband is a bit looser and I need to pull 'em up more often.

On my feet, I wear a pair of thin poly anklets, then a pair of thicker microfiber socks (3 pair for $10, also Walgreens). Comfy with my cycling/walking shoes down to around 40F. When it gets into serious cold I'll wear my old Herman Survivor hiking boots. Double wall leather, heavy but warm even in the 20s. Good enough for casual cycling speed, around 10-12 mph.

My hands get cold first. I'll usually add thin poly or silk liners under winter gloves -- usually just generic ski gloves, which offer enough dexterity for shifting and braking. For longer rides in the 20s I'd need lobster claw mitts attached to the handlebars, but it doesn't stay cold enough long enough here to justify the cost.
Old 01-02-18, 04:11 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
It's generally easier to get used to cooler temperatures if you ride the temps down with the season. OTOH, it's a shock to the system if you've been driving since the temperature dropped below 65F and then try to ride in 0F.

We all have bands where we're comfortable, can be comfortable with the right gear, and I, for one, think it's really cold below 10F no matter what I have. Although if it stays cold long enough, I might start thinking that "really cold" band starts at 0. All of which points back to the question, what are you used to?
Old 01-03-18, 11:41 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by italcyclist
I am a 64 - year - old bicycle commuter, and the current winter weather (the current 2018 winter weather) is making me wonder if bicycle commuter is a good idea.
I follow all the appropriate measures regarding dressing for cold weather,
i.e. layering. My wife thinks I am crazy. "You are no spring chicken, "she said to me the other day.
While I love riding my bicycle I would also enjoy hearing from fellow 60+ cyclists who ride in very cold weather.
I am 70 and "commute" every day 11 miles R/T to the local gym with a heated pool. It was -1° F the other day; mittens, a scarf, cold weather boots, long johns, wool socks and hooded Carhart jacket kept me toasty warm. Used my headphones rather than ear plugs to listen to the audiobook playing from the mp3 player to help keep my ears warm. Have to keep the mp3 player inside my coat otherwise the battery gets too cold to operate.. Luckily for me my wife never interferes with my cycling activity, it is who I am and what I do; she knew that when she married me 40 years ago.

Used to commute 22 miles to at temperatures as cold as -15° F until I was 62, then changed jobs to a closer location 10miles R/T until I retired 5 years ago. Same routine, proper clothing makes all the difference. Fingers and toes are hardest to keep warm after about 45 minutes in extreme cold. Good mittens and boots are essential.

Also, NEVER wear pants with metal zippers at very cold temperature!! Long johns and pants with plastic buttons or sweat pants can prevent a painful experience.
Old 01-03-18, 11:52 AM
fixedweasel

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I am only 53 but just wanted to chime in as the young guy. I've commuted year round here in Chicago down to -10F. My commutes are 13 miles each way. I have no issues with warmth albeit the main problem is puncture. I once punctured when it was 0F and it actually became dangerous. Obviously you cannot change a tube out with your winter gloves on* and the exposure of the hands/skin at those temps while trying to work on your bike can be quite painful no matter how quick your tube changing abilities are. On that run, my second tube exploded and ripped apart and I had to replace the second tube. I almost cried. I eventually made it home but swore off not to commute again when it was that cold. I'll still commute in the teens F, but no more single digits or below zero. Even though I've got 10 of 'em, I'd still like to keep all the pointers.

*or at least i can't
Old 01-03-18, 12:04 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1826 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,573 Posts
Originally Posted by fixedweasel
.... I once punctured when it was 0F and it actually became dangerous. Obviously you cannot change a tube out with your winter gloves on* and the exposure of the hands/skin at those temps while trying to work on your bike can be quite painful no matter how quick your tube changing abilities are. On that run, my second tube exploded and ripped apart and I had to replace the second tube. I almost cried. I eventually made it home but swore off not to commute again when it was that cold. I'll still commute in the teens F, but no more single digits or below zero. Even though I've got 10 of 'em, I'd still like to keep all the pointers.

*or at least i can't
I commuted to work a number of times when it was 0 deg F, but I've since changed that threshold. This was due to having to fix a flat when it was 8 deg F and the sun was setting. I had enough foresight to keep a set of thin gloves in the saddlebag, and managed to fix the flat before my hands went numb. I'm not sure I could do that if it was 0 deg F, and I don't think I want to find out.

Steve in balmy Peoria
Old 01-03-18, 06:40 PM
mdadams1

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
I am 63 and absolutely love riding in temperatures below 20 degrees F. If you ride all year round it makes it easy to get use to cold/hot weather. I even ride a fat bike in snow. To the guy who had the flat in Chicago at 10 below. I just recently bought hard rubber tires to deal with the issue of flatting in extremely cold weather.

Last edited by mdadams1; 01-03-18 at 06:44 PM.
Old 01-03-18, 06:41 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
I'm also 64 and I commute to a part time job a couple of days a week. The days in between, I do trips to the store and other errands. 0F (-18c) is about my lower limit, but I have done colder.
Old 01-03-18, 06:54 PM
fixedweasel

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mdadams1
I am 63 and absolutely love riding in temperatures below 20 degrees F. If you ride all year round it makes it easy to get use to cold/hot weather. I even ride a fat bike in snow. To the guy who had the flat in Chicago at 10 below. I just recently bought hard rubber tires to deal with the issue of flatting in extremely cold weather.

Thanks for the suggestion but I'll keep my shoes. It was just an unfortunate moment. Ride quality is important to me as well. I enjoy the two 45 minute jostles/day through the streets here and my ti(y)res have rarely failed me. I run 32mm Conti Gatorskins and have been running Gators for over 15 years. I have had 5 punctures within that time. Not a bad track record, eh? Gotta go with the numbers.*

*plus they are terribly comfortably ti(y)res to roll on
Old 01-03-18, 08:09 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
... Luckily for me my wife never interferes with my cycling activity, it is who I am and what I do; she knew that when she married me 40 years ago. ...
I think a lot of us can relate to that.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 01-04-18, 06:59 AM
capejohn

Bikes: Giant easy e, Priority Onyx, Scott Sub 40, Marin Belvedere Commuter

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 32 Posts
I ride every day in single digit and low teen temperatures the gym, the market and putzing around town. It's not a big deal.
Old 01-05-18, 07:20 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
Maybe think about how accustomed you and the drivers around you are to the conditions. You don't want to be out among distracted drivers. Also, how long is the bad weather expected to last? If only a month or so, I wouldn't bother with accumulating the gear.
Old 01-06-18, 01:24 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
I have commuted on a 58-year-old bike, so I don't think a 64-year-old bike commute would be any different.

Oh -- you were talking about the rider. ...
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 01-06-18, 01:38 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
I grew up walking and riding in temperatures down to -20 F. After 60 years of riding in snow, it is no big deal.
Old 01-06-18, 05:53 PM
scoatw

Bikes: 96 gary fisher 'utopia' : 99 Softride 'Norwester'(for sale), 1972 Raleigh Twenty. Surly 1x1 converted to 1x8, 96 Turner Burner

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
61. I've been commuting year round for 11yrs. Coldest ride was -14f. I have good winter gear. Wife thinks I'm nuts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.