Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Fewer Riders Announce?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Fewer Riders Announce?

Old 05-21-19, 05:32 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I just say "Good morning" or "Good afternoon," and the crowds part like the Red Sea in front of Moses.
Old 05-21-19, 05:42 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 320 Posts
*cough*
Old 05-21-19, 07:10 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
*cough*
That'll work too, especially if you really whoop it up and wear an anti-vaxxer T-shirt.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 05-21-19, 07:29 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
It's always pretty bad at this time of year, with new riders or else cyclists who forgot over the winter how to behave. It will chill out some in a couple of weeks.

FWIW I don't call out either. I ring my little bell.
Old 05-21-19, 09:03 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
I hate the sound of the little bell coming from my bike. It's so petite and gentle.

But I need to use something. Tonight's ride had the usual couple with dog walking down the middle of a street. A side walk on either side, but they'd rather walk where the cars and trucks go.

I'm thinking cowbell. Some of y'all know what I mean.

BOC.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 05-21-19, 09:13 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
I'm really "all of the above." I really just play it by ear at different times, with different situations and people. Also, depends on what type of mood I'm in too. Sometimes I'm feeling very talkative, then other times I'm rather quiet. I've had people be rude to me no matter which way I went with it, either announcing or not. One time, I passed an elderly man without announcing and got absolutely scolded for not letting him know I was coming. The very next person I encountered, an overweight jogger about a mile down the trail, rudely told me "you don't own the damn trail" when I politely said on your left ...having just learned my lesson from the elderly man. You just can't please all the people, all the time.

For the most part, if someone "is holding their line" not showing any erratic behavior, I don't find it necessary to announce. Especially someone wearing earbuds that probably won't hear me anyway. If it's a group taking up the entire trail, I'll sound out a demanding "coming up to pass on your left folks" so they have time to organize. With kids, I almost always have to give very detailed directions, being super cautious and slowing way down. Coming up at full speed and just announcing on your left and doing nothing more with them, is asking for disaster. I always compliment them on a great job as I go by. Makes their day.

On a more humorous note, one time I was approaching two very attractive female runners, and was gonna announce something like "coming up fast behind you, ladies." Somehow, it came out as "coming hard on your back, ladies!" It drew quite a hardy burst of laughter and giggles as I rode by.

I find that on busy weekends when everyone has their brother and mother with them, I simply just get tired of announcing all the time and eventually get to the point of not giving a rat's azz. I'm still courteous and cautious, especially with the kids, but for the most part I just shut up, ride and don't worry about it.
Likes For one4smoke:
Old 05-21-19, 10:40 PM
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 53 Posts
When I’m on my bike, I try to treat pedestrians the way I would want a car to treat me.
Old 05-21-19, 11:29 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 926 Times in 593 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke
I've had people be rude to me no matter which way I went with it, either announcing or not. One time, I passed an elderly man without announcing and got absolutely scolded for not letting him know I was coming. The very next person I encountered, an overweight jogger about a mile down the trail, rudely told me "you don't own the damn trail" when I politely said on your left ...having just learned my lesson from the elderly man. You just can't please all the people, all the time.
And that has happened to me a few times too. It's a damned if you do and damned if you don't for us riders.
Old 05-22-19, 03:07 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
My experience is that many recreational cyclists have no clue about communication with others. The ones that are a part of my club and, thus, ride with accomplished cyclists have learned to communicate. Not all but most. On the R/T there is a great percentage of riders who ride a half-dozen times a year and always on the R/T. These are the people who are truly dangerous. And, the mix of serious cyclists cranking down the path and these people is a catastrophe waiting to happen. I plan my R/T rides for times when no one else is riding.
Old 05-22-19, 04:51 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
Most people are too wrapped up in their phone and wearing headphones to notice. They walk anywhere, some even ride three abreast dawdling along and seem offended when someone (including runners) wants to pass. I try to announce whether on bike or when running, but mostly falls on deaf ears. For some reason most Floridians don’t poke their head out the door before it hits 85 degrees, so as long as I hit things up early it is mostly clear.
Likes For FlMTNdude:
Old 05-23-19, 08:27 PM
Dr.Lou

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 61 Posts
In NorCal and Nevada announcing is still a common practice, however in the Philippines and the myriad other countries I've ridden verbal announcement is a foreign concept, many use bells instead.

Last edited by Dr.Lou; 05-23-19 at 08:35 PM.
Old 05-24-19, 05:59 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
I employ a cocktail of strategies based on my "feel" for the situation. I have never uttered the words "on your left" on an MUP. I often say "I am easing around your left." That has never netted me an unpredictable response. Often people who walk on MUPS behave like people in parks. That is to say they they lose their awareness and tend to meander. Some bicyclists do to. For me the most important thing is to pass with minimum speed disparity.
Old 05-24-19, 06:06 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
Inevitably calling out loud will cause panic amongst some walkers.

Using a bell is the best. Use your bell as soon as you are far enough for them to hear. A sudden unexpected loud sound from closeby will trigger an instinct reaction of fear response (fight or flight).

I have never had an unpredictable response to an "I am easing around your left." I have seen confused responses to the sound of a bell.

I have a hunch if I came blasting up behind someone and yelled "on your LEFT," that I would get a different response.
Old 05-24-19, 06:19 AM
ironnerd
Blue Collar Cyclist

Bikes: Motobecane Gravel X1, Iron Horse Maverick 1.0

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
There should be an App.
Like aviation's ADS-B to let pedestrians know that a bicyclist or jogger is approaching, and also alert cyclists and joggers that there is a guy with earbuds listening to music around the next turn.
▲▲▲ Kinda half tongue-in-cheek - I actually think modern smartphones could make this a reality.

I go with a bell rather than verbal announcement. Noting seems to say "A bicycle is coming" like a little bell. Odd really...

As for our wandering pedestrians...the only time I have ever seen people walk down a path with any kind of organization was when I was in the Army.
Old 05-24-19, 10:08 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I have never had an unpredictable response to an "I am easing around your left." I have seen confused responses to the sound of a bell.

I have a hunch if I came blasting up behind someone and yelled "on your LEFT," that I would get a different response.
My default is "passing on your left". I can count on two fingers the times people have gotten confused by this.

The main reason I call it is because when I don't, people assume that if they don't hear something, it's ok to move to their left without looking, and a couple of close calls convinced me that default mode should be to make my presence and intentions known. Occasionally, someone mistakenly thinks I'm telling them to move over, so I sometimes follow up with a friendly "I have plenty of room".

Nothing works perfectly, but I've see enough confused responses to bells that I know what I'm doing works best for me.

BTW, there's a bit of a logical fallacy going on when people say that it's the pedestrian's fault that they don't know to go right when the bell rings. Keep in mind that from their perspective, they don't know whether the person ringing the bell knows the rule so if the bell-ringer doesn't say which side, there's a pretty good chance that passing on the left would be an incorrect guess.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-03-19, 11:41 AM
Spinay70

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by gringomojado
My favorite MUP is an asphalt winding trail with yellow center line. My wife and grand kids walk with me when I can't ride. We always stay on "our side" of the trail (USA) but I notice fewer riders announcing or using a bell. Some are "road riders" going quite fast. Is this discourtesy becoming common in most areas? It is almost as bad as the auto drivers.
gm
I have noticed that when i am out riding and get passed by a 'serious' rider, they rarely announce. I have also seen them buzz past unsuspecting walkers without a word.

This past weekend i spied a 'serious' rider approaching fast in my rear view and they ended up zipping by without any word...and quite close as well.

Spinay70
Likes For Spinay70:
Old 06-03-19, 12:09 PM
justin70
a big man

Bikes: Trek 4300; Motobecane Vent Noir

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My frustration is MUPs aren't for going fast all the time on my bike. I wish they could be for bikes only and I could time trial away from traffic. But if I'm really pushing the speed I stick to the actual roads. The speed limit on my local MUPs is 15 mph which I exceed easily. So if there's pedestrians to pass I slow way down and holler "on your left" expecting them to veer towards the left...when they don't it's a bonus. Bikes have to yield to pedestrians. The last thing I'd want to do is hit a pedestrian on my bike, because we'd both get hurt and there's no way I'm not liable coming up behind someone on who is foot.
Likes For justin70:
Old 06-03-19, 02:25 PM
Yendor72

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2016 Framed Wolftrax

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I had this discussion with one of the mechanics at my LBS. He said the same thing as I did. The spastic response to "On your left" (signs are posted on the MUP indicating that we should use those terms) has prompted him to search for the least "Fred" like bell.
Old 06-03-19, 04:25 PM
Dominae

Bikes: Trek Checkpoint; Cannondale Super X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 22 Posts
I used to say “on your left” but it seemed to surprise and confuse walkers, runners and other cyclists and they would often jump to the left right into my path. I have now decided to pass in stealth mode giving as wide a berth as possible. I am not responsible for others situational awareness. I am only responsible for my own. First and foremost, my job is to avoid hitting someone not to provide them with information they should be able to learn on their own (if they were paying attention).

Last edited by Dominae; 06-03-19 at 04:42 PM.
Old 06-03-19, 04:46 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 210 Posts
Is there a minimum speed on this MUP? Just curious.
Old 06-03-19, 05:03 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 926 Times in 593 Posts
Originally Posted by Dominae
I used to say “on your left” but it seemed to surprise and confuse walkers, runners and other cyclists and they would often jump to the left right into my path. I have now decided to pass in stealth mode giving as wide a berth as possible. I am not responsible for others situational awareness. I am only responsible for my own. First and foremost, my job is to avoid hitting someone not to provide them with information they should be able to learn on their own (if they were paying attention).
Problem is, 99.9% of them are not paying attention.
Old 06-03-19, 07:18 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 206 Posts
I like to yell "woo-hoo" about 30-50 yards out, in a super piercing voice.
This gives me plenty of time to gauge their reaction, which allows me to assess how to safely pass.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 06-03-19, 08:10 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by 2cam16
Problem is, 99.9% of them are not paying attention.
And their most important sense - that can detect sounds in 360° - is jammed up with ear buds blaring some Satanic symphony.
Likes For JoeyBike:
Old 06-03-19, 08:47 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
If I'm approaching people on foot I go with "behind you" because it's a simple message and they're just gonna do whatever they do anyway. I slow down and go whichever way they don't, which is usually me going left but not always. If I'm approaching someone on a bike (very very rare up here in the sticks) I'll go with "on your left", on the assumption that they know what that means and because the V-sub-C is low enough that they'll have time to process and react in some sane way.

(In the surrounding 144 square miles I've seen people on bikes eight times, four of which were probably the same guy and two of which were probably the same woman. Plenty of people walking on the greenway though.)
Old 06-04-19, 10:45 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
I use Crane bike bells & ring with enough time for folks to hear & comprehend. On the local MUP a lot of bikers announce pass 1/2 second before doing so which is irritating. IMO a good bike bell is more polite than yelling.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.