Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Trailer for 1000+ lbs

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Trailer for 1000+ lbs

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-19, 12:12 AM
Seggybop
o.O

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exclamation Trailer for 1000+ lbs

Is such a thing available? Maybe conversion of a car or ATV trailer?
I've seen large bike trailers in Asia hauling stacks of propane tanks or construction materials that seem like they'd approach that mass, so I feel like it's not totally absurd.
Old 11-02-19, 11:33 AM
Maxwell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It’s not impossible, I think I've seen it done with tandem bikesatwork trailers. I’d say it’s not a good idea without trailer brakes, and you’re not getting up any kind of grade.
Old 11-10-19, 12:23 PM
tim24k

Bikes: To many to list. I like them all!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxwell
It’s not impossible, I think I've seen it done with tandem bikesatwork trailers. I’d say it’s not a good idea without trailer brakes, and you’re not getting up any kind of grade.
Plus one.
But I’d be more inclined to just make more trips. Even with trailer brakes and if you had them adjusted perfectly and only on flat ground with a heavy duty delta trike pulling it. You are after all asking to pull/handle 1/2 of a ton.
Old 11-10-19, 04:39 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Another +1 for Bikes at Work trailers. I'm not sure what the logistics would be as far as finding an appropriate bike/gearing, hitching two trailers together, and getting the brakes set up. It might be worth contacting them for more info.

IIRC, @JoeyBike has some experience hauling fairly heavy stuff?
Old 11-10-19, 09:21 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
Another +1 for Bikes at Work trailers. I'm not sure what the logistics would be as far as finding an appropriate bike/gearing, hitching two trailers together, and getting the brakes set up. It might be worth contacting them for more info.

IIRC, @JoeyBike has some experience hauling fairly heavy stuff?
One trailer only. No trouble stopping with good cantilever or linear breaks on the bike, at least on flat land. Never exceeded 300 lbs though. I just started using the trailer at work again. It kinda sat around my house last five years. I do have an underpass to cross now so a third chainring (small) is mandatory for climbing up out of there.

As for 1000 lbs, Bikes At Work used to have a weight/grade calculator on their website that will let you know how much you can pull, assuming the calculator is still there. Have not looked at their site in many years.

Old 11-10-19, 10:54 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18350 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Can we start a new thread... Legs for a 1000 pound trailer?

I've gotten up to close to 500 lbs with my trailer. I'm sure I've been over 500 lbs with bike + trailer + load. That's all my legs are good for.

Anything over 500 lbs, and one really needs either a Tandem or an E-Bike to pull it.

I don't have an exact capacity for my trailer. It never got completely finished, but it has done well.

Wheels just came off of a Schwinn Kid's OCC Kid's bike (small one). 16x3 "moped" tires.

So far I've never had a broken spoke, but I only do the occasional heavy hauling.

I prefer the wrap-around trailer frame and straight through axles (bolt on in this example). My trailer has the original coaster brakes that I had intended to connect to a surge brake system, but never quite got it installed.

Being human powered, I have about 200W peak go power, and just need to be able to stop that. It would be very different if I was using an E-Bike capable of pulling my 500 pound load at 20 MPH.

Our local bike co-op has a bit larger and heavier duty trailer. All steel construction. But, they've had issues with it including breaking spokes and losing wheels on the road. Unfortunately I don't see a picture of it online. They mostly pull it with an E-Trike (Tri-Hauler).

The question is what I'd do if I was going to go > 500 lbs.

One option would be to build a trailer like mine, but heavier duty. Custom wheels. Make sure one has good hubs, etc. Get the brakes working.

The other option would be a small car trailer.

Harbor Freight rates their trailers up to just over 1000 lbs, but I don't like their design. Too flimsy.

A while ago I purchased this "Haulin" trailer.

It is a beasty trailer for a little trailer. I move it around the yard by hand. It could be cut narrower as needed for cycling. I'm not sure of the weight though. It is probably about 300 lbs. That means one's 1000 lb load is suddenly a 1300 lb load.

Also finding good brakes for the small wheels is a problem, and as mentioned, if one went with an E-Bike, then brakes would be an absolute must. Also any commercial use would require brakes.

Anyway, those are 5.70/8 tires, I think, and are very nice tires.

I had intended to do some work on a better tow rig, and will likely go to a trike.