Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

How aggressive is your tread on your winter bike?

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Old 01-14-20, 03:51 PM
3S1M

Bikes: Schwinn Del Mar, Schwinn Sanctuary, Schwinn Hurricane, Murray Actra, Eastern Shovelhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 90 Posts

I rode my son's MTB that I put some bell street tires on this summer through the snow and they did just fine. It was not a lot of snow on the road when going though. I mainly road in the tire tracks of cars but there was not more than 1/2"anywwhere on that particular ride. I thought I'd need something more aggressive but I guess cuz the rubber or vinyl or whatever it's made out of is newer, they seemed to grip decent.

On Saturday night it was a blizzard and there was thick wet snow, about 2" or more on the street and I didn't get very far. I tried my cruiser bike with those somewhat knobby beach cruiser tires and I tried the previously mentioned MTB and I think I got more traction with the MTB. The Beach Cruiser tires are about 10 years old though. So figure they lost some grip by now. Either bike didn't work very well and I gave up trying to go very far.

Likes For 3S1M:
Old 01-14-20, 10:02 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
Studded tires. Schwalbe Marathon Winter on my commuter, and Nokian Extreme 294 on my mountain bike.
Old 01-15-20, 03:08 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Road bike all winter, but wimpy winters here, so, really, it's just a rain situation. I am a bit more cautious in the corners when it's wet, obviously, but really, here, I just don't see a big reason to make big tire changes, given how mild thing s almost always are. In the twenties tonight and I will leave on my ride in 3 hours, but it is almost completely dry here. Generally, for it to get much below freezing in this city, it has to be clear skies. So, should be able to ride in the morning.
Old 01-15-20, 07:24 AM
308jerry

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 88 Posts
I put Schwalbe Ice Spikers on a couple weeks ago. Where I ride is shaded by trees so the road is frozen and slick. So far I think they work great.
Old 01-15-20, 10:01 AM
3S1M

Bikes: Schwinn Del Mar, Schwinn Sanctuary, Schwinn Hurricane, Murray Actra, Eastern Shovelhead

Yeah, I guess it's going to depend on where you are... But it's still good to hear what everyone does. I think these are probably good for 99% of the days. Althought it's been kind of a mild winter here so far and I may change my mind if it gets worse, or next year.... But that Saturday night was the first day the roads were really hard to get through. I THINK, some skinny tires with studs on them would've worked that night. But I'm not sure I can justify having a whole other set up for 1 or 2 times a year..... Then again, my goal is to someday have a bike that can do it all. But I don't know if that's even possible. LOL.
Old 01-15-20, 07:47 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I have two setups for real winter. One with a slightly aggressive (cyclocross) type tread pattern and a single row of studs. The other is pretty aggressive and heavily studded - Nokian/Suomi Extreme! The latter is good for roads with snowpack that turn to sludge and ice during the spring thaw. Handy in Wisconsisota

I made it through one Wisconsisota winter with just cyclocross tires, no studs. They sucked on anything remotely icy, including glazed snowpack. I had to stick to the salted main roads that winter. They were good for fresh snow without ice, though.

North Carolina, on the other hand...road race tires have been just great, except for the two days of ice. I use studs on that.
Old 01-16-20, 07:38 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 1,669 Times in 825 Posts
When I got a new commuter bike in 2015, I designated my old MTB-based commuter as my snow bike for winter. From late October to mid April it wears Suomi Nokian W-106 Studded snow tires. The tread works well in the snow, but more than that...

...like an automotive snow and ice tire, the tire material itself is designed to stay soft and grippy in cold temeratures.

I ride down to 5F and the tire still grips. Of course lumpy tread slows the bike down.

Lowering the tire pressure will help any tire grip better in snow. It'll just slow you down even more.

Last edited by BobbyG; 01-16-20 at 07:45 AM.
Old 01-16-20, 09:26 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Here, there's snow, rarely ice, and the streets are plowed pretty well. I run regular Marathon+ on all three wheels (20" front, 26" rear). I do a bit of spinning on the rear tire when I'm getting started, but it has decent enough tread, that it's quite adequate for my conditions. If it were a bit deeper, or they didn't keep the roads as clear, I'd either put a Marathon winter (non-studded) or Conti top contact. If it were really bad, I would put a mtn bike tire on the rear and BMX knobbies on the front.

Nice having three wheels, though, as I don't have to worry about falling over, just slide around a little bit.
Old 01-16-20, 11:02 AM
3S1M

Yeah, I keep seeing those continentals on amazon......

Great responses guys. I'm learning.
Old 01-16-20, 12:23 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
BTW, probably the worst part about riding the velo to work almost every day is that when it's parked outside (under partial cover, but outside), it is COLD climbing into a carbon fiber shell that's been cold soaked at 25F for 10 hours!

Likes For Notso_fastLane:
Old 01-16-20, 12:32 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
if the conditions are good (granular) I can get by with shallow tread & no studs

sometimes even an aggressive tread will compact lifting me above the studs, so it's like I don't even have any

regardless this is my winter tire of choice for 2 bikes

Last edited by rumrunn6; 01-16-20 at 12:41 PM.
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 01-16-20, 01:19 PM
3S1M

Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
BTW, probably the worst part about riding the velo to work almost every day is that when it's parked outside (under partial cover, but outside), it is COLD climbing into a carbon fiber shell that's been cold soaked at 25F for 10 hours!

Wow, that's not quite the recumbant bike I pictured in my mind LOL. Very cool. Too bad you couldn't park that thing indoors during work.
Likes For 3S1M:
Old 01-16-20, 03:57 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
If you're not willing to spend the money on winter bike tires and having to change them with the seasons, get chains.