Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Goggles fine, but now glasses fog... ​​​​​​​

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Old 01-22-20, 08:27 PM
AstroEng
Roadkill

Bikes: Novara Verita, Novara Buzz, Radpower Radwagon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I've been reading a lot of threads here looking for anti-fogging solutions. I'm ordering Catcrap to try that, but I'm looking for other solutions.

I just finally broke down and got OTG Ski Goggles to replace my visorgogs. The Ski Goggles themselves work great - not a trace of fog. However, after about the 2 mi point, when I start to warm up, my glasses fog like crazy. I even tried removing my balaclava to make sure that wasn't the problem. I guess it is from the heat and humidity from my face.

Suggestions? Most of what I have found is defog one or the other, not glasses under goggles. Thanks in advance.

FWIW, the visorgogs work ok. My balaclava let's too much air go upward and the fog up. However, because they are relatively open, I can turn my head a little to induce a cross breeze. This is also part of my issue with them: I don't ride below 0F because they let in too much air and I'm worried about frostbite on the exposed skin. Hence I bought the goggles...
Old 01-23-20, 06:49 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Goggles fine, but now glasses fog...
Originally Posted by AstroEng
I've been reading a lot of threads here looking for anti-fogging solutions. I'm ordering Catcrap to try that, but I'm looking for other solutions.

I just finally broke down and got OTG Ski Goggles to replace my visorgogs. The Ski Goggles themselves work great - not a trace of fog. However, after about the 2 mi point, when I start to warm up, my glasses fog like crazy.

I even tried removing my balaclava to make sure that wasn't the problem. I guess it is from the heat and humidity from my face.

Suggestions? Most of what I have found is defog one or the other, not glasses under goggles. Thanks in advance.

FWIW, the visorgogs work ok. My balaclava let's too much air go upward and the fog up. However, because they are relatively open, I can turn my head a little to induce a cross breeze. This is also part of my issue with them:

I don't ride below 0F because they let in too much air and I'm worried about frostbite on the exposed skin. Hence I bought the goggles...
​​​​​​​FWIW, see my perennial post with further discussion:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I perennially post about my winter eyewear for my 14 mile year-round commute, from about 35° down to as low as 0°. I must wear my prescription eyeglasses, and fogging is one of the worst dangers of winter riding. I am entirely satisfied with my system:…

I realize now that my goggles and face mask are actually an integrated system of heating and ventilation that keeps my face warm and my vision unencumbered by fogging...
IME, and from reading numerous posts on the subject, there are three basic methods for preventing fogging, caused by exhaled moist air onto the cold surface of the eyeglasses and goggles:...

3. Antifogging agents, like Cat Crap, soap, spit etc.: I find that when exhaling forcefully, and colder temperatures, say under 20° F, those agents can be overcome. That’s why I suggest
that any recommendations for winter riding include description of the conditions in which they are employed, i.e. lowest temperature and distance

I’m not trying to be contrarian about any methods used, but I am zealous because fogging is a difficult and dangerous challenge to winter riding, and would keep me off the bike for about 3 to 4 months during the year. Every year there are many threads on about the problem.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 01-23-20 at 07:19 AM.
Old 01-23-20, 07:24 AM
tombakerim

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
After all, the choice is huge ... Here, for example, G2447 only has a black frame ... one minus of these glasses is the impossibility of replacing lenses, because you won’t ride in dark nights ((
Old 01-23-20, 08:56 AM
parkbrav

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts
I still have the Scott anti-fog downhill skiing goggles, and they still work great. I bought these at my local ski & bike store

This spring, I will be trying @jim_From_Boston's idea of using hardware glasses as a wind protector. This sounds like a great suggestion!
Old 01-23-20, 10:20 AM
Jim from Boston

˄˄˄˄
Originally Posted by parkbrav
…This spring, I will be trying @jim_From_Boston's idea of using hardware glasses as a wind protector. This sounds like a great suggestion!
Thanks for the nod, @parkbrav, Speaking of good ideas, I have also recently posted:
Originally Posted by scoatw
Sorry to respond so late. I just now saw it on my notifications. Just as I described. First put balaclava on covering your mouth. Second, fit headband around your head so it covers your nose and cheeks. The balaclava covers your mouth, thus warming your face.

The break between the balaclava and the headband provides an escape route for your warm exhales instead of going up into your goggles. Got it?
I like that idea, and look foward to trying it out.

BTW, @scoatw, FYA, I have previously posted
... I have extracted this [winter cycling] slogan from a post by @scoatw of Ohio, "Gear and gumption." Always on bad weather days someone at work will ask me, "You didn't ride your bicycle today, did you?."

When it’s really bad out, my wife will chide me, “You just want to ride your bike today, so you can write about it to Bike Forums."

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 01-23-20 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-23-20, 01:18 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
think you need better ventilation
Old 01-23-20, 07:22 PM
AstroEng
Roadkill

Bikes: Novara Verita, Novara Buzz, Radpower Radwagon

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've tried the hardware store safety glasses as well. The visorgogs I found to stay fog free far better and are, IMO, easier to wear (elastic strap). I have my mirror connected to my helmet and like the positioning, so I'm not concerned about a stiff side piece on the glasses.

Again, my concern is that below about 0F, the exposed skin left by open solutions like hardware store glasses and visorgogs get very cold and eventually painful, especially if there is wind coming from the sides (which seems to be the norm for me when it gets that cold).

I'll try to fidget with the goggle vents - maybe my helmet or something is blocking them. It doesn't help that I can't pull off the goggles while riding and clear fog as they tend to take my glasses with them.

It may be a while before I can try again. It looks to be relatively warm the next week or so.
Old 01-24-20, 08:46 AM
parkbrav

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts
Let me just back up to re-iterate something

Winter: Scott anti-fogg ski goggles
https://www.amazon.com/SCOTT-Yellow-...VRNG3W8PYW4RYD

Spring: hardware glasses
Old 01-24-20, 01:44 PM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by AstroEng
I've tried the hardware store safety glasses as well. The visorgogs I found to stay fog free far better and are, IMO, easier to wear (elastic strap). I have my mirror connected to my helmet and like the positioning, so I'm not concerned about a stiff side piece on the glasses.

Again, my concern is that below about 0F, the exposed skin left by open solutions like hardware store glasses and visorgogs get very cold and eventually painful, especially if there is wind coming from the sides (which seems to be the norm for me when it gets that cold).

I'll try to fidget with the goggle vents - maybe my helmet or something is blocking them. It doesn't help that I can't pull off the goggles while riding and clear fog as they tend to take my glasses with them.

It may be a while before I can try again. It looks to be relatively warm the next week or so.
Thanks for your consideration of my previous post. Again may I offer this suggestion:
Originally Posted by scoatw
Sorry to respond so late. I just now saw it on my notifications. Just as I described. First put balaclava on covering your mouth. Second, fit headband around your head so it covers your nose and cheeks. The balaclava covers your mouth, thus warming your face.

The break between the balaclava and the headband provides an escape route for your warm exhales instead of going up into your goggles. Got it?
I like that idea, and look foward to trying it out...
That would seem to offer much additional facial skin protection, as well as ventilation of exhaled moist air. I myself have not tried it because it’s been such a mild winter.

I have seen suggestions to apply Vaseline to exposed skin, but I’ve never felt the need and sounds too messy for me.
Old 01-24-20, 06:13 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 867 Times in 443 Posts

Had a little fogging problem with my prescription glasses underneath the goggles then used Z-Wax and fogging gone.
Likes For ZIPP2001:
Old 08-27-20, 09:38 AM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 302 Posts
Has anyone tried heated goggles? I find that when the temperature drops below 0F, I get ice formation on my goggles. All of the heated goggles I have found are aimed at the snow machine crowd, so they are designed to use a 12V high amperage power source. Heated goggles that are designed to be powered from a USB port (yes, I know that means .5A maximum current draw) would be wonderful. Has anyone seen such a thing?