Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Selecting a child bike seat

Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Old 03-26-20, 12:29 PM
argolds

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone,

I have a Schwinn women's gateway bike that I would like to put a child seat on for my 1.5 year old daughter (24 pounds, 34 inches tall). I'm having trouble figuring out what kind I need. I'd like to do a rear mounted because it seems she'll be able to use that for longer. I can't figure out what the weight capacity is for the rack on the bike - do I need a rack mount? Frame mount? Help!
Old 03-30-20, 10:57 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I have been using Copilot (Blackburn) seats for my kids. They come with a matching heavy-duty rack that you can continue to use with side bags and other standard accessories once you are done with the seat. Topeak has a similar one. That way you don't need to worry if your original rack is sturdy enough. It's not silver, though.

Whatever you get make sure that the buckle is solid, and the shoulder straps are close to where they are in your car seat - too high and kiddo can pull arms out, too low and kiddo can shrug out of it. A few years ago I had a Thule front seat with a very stylish buckle that just wouldn't stay connected and the back wasn't high enough so he shrugged out. I think they discontinued that one since they bought Yepp
Genesis 49:16-17