Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Recumbent for short people

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-20, 05:24 AM
john908

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I need advice on proper frame size/type.I have a 22 inch in seam and 5ft4. 26 inch rear wheels are best? I am thinking something like a JetStream lll or X Rev.
I made the mistake a couple years ago and bought a Santana tandem for 35 dollars to find it too large for me to be Captain,now I will be selling it and want to try a recumbent.
I also found a Bike E for not to much but I want a fast recumbent,thats why I am thinking 26 rear wheel. If I ride a upright Crossroads by back does not hurt but they are heavy and slow.
It looks like the adjustable boom type the crank will hit if I move it back to fit me.
Old 06-14-20, 06:04 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Performer makes two lowracers, the Vigorous and the Conquor. The Conquor is a dual-20" wheeled folder, while the Vigorous is a 20/16 lowracer. Since Performer is very accommodating to customization, there's a possibility of getting the Vigorous as a dual-20 - if your inseam will allow it. There are no fast tires in 349mm. The conquor has what I consider to be a very short wheelbase, but it may suit you better. You're unlikely to find either on the used market, but at least Performers are pretty reasonably priced - for recumbents. (There are a few recumbents in the $1K-2K range, but not many are performance models.)

If you're looking at used to save money, Maybe a Lightning Phantom/Thunderbolt or an old Vision? The hard part will be finding something with a lower seat for you. Some of the newer Actionbents weren't too bad (bearing in mind that 'new' ones are a decade or more old,) but earlier ones were disasters of poor design.

Last edited by BlazingPedals; 06-15-20 at 01:20 PM.
Old 06-16-20, 08:25 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I think TourEasys have about a 18" high seat. Confirmation from Jeff? You'd probably need a small-medium size? Test-sits would be mandatory as TourEasys come in many sizes but each size only fits a narrow range.
Old 06-16-20, 10:51 PM
Tony Marley

Bikes: Catrike 700; Bike Friday Llama single; Bike Friday Tandem Tuesday; Easy Racers Ti-Rush recumbent; Catrike Expedition; Rans Seavo tandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 29 Posts
Catrike makes some trikes for shorter people, plus has adjustable booms. I agree that Tour Easy made excellent bikes, but test rides are critical as they are not adjustable.

A Santana for $35 was a real steal.
Old 06-17-20, 05:57 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Seeing as you seem to be looking at two wheel recumbents, Bacchetta reports positively on the use of 24" wheels on the Giro 26 & 26att in this article. At 5'6" I also had trouble finding bent (and upright bikes) that fit. At this point I am riding a Catrike Expedition
Old 06-22-20, 12:02 PM
jogya03
half way commuter

Bikes: few folders, road bike, and MTB

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert C
Seeing as you seem to be looking at two wheel recumbents, Bacchetta reports positively on the use of 24" wheels on the Giro 26 & 26att in this article. At 5'6" I also had trouble finding bent (and upright bikes) that fit. At this point I am riding a Catrike Expedition
I am about the same height, and after using my CB quest with 26" wheelset for few months, I changed front one to 24" and I keep it that way till today. good thing about recumbent is we can reduce the wheel size without worrying too much about pedal strike while cornering.
Old 06-24-20, 11:09 AM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
I have roughly a 38" x-seam. Like you, my options are limited.
I do have an Optima Baron Lowracer. For my size, it has been tricky for me. I've found I cannot run a triple up front, at least while using a square taper triple crankset. I had to pull the boom in so far, the front derailleur would touch the frame part of the boom and never get into the smallest chainring. I have alleviated this by going to a double (50x34). Eventually, I'll change out the rear cassette for something larger, though my 11-32t works well enough for the small hills around Brighton Michigan.
As Blazingpedals mentions, the Performer recumbents are quite affordable and nice. Over at BentRiderOnline's forum, a user there named Vangelo has done some of the most amazing work with his dual 20" Performer lowracers. I've almost been tempted a few times to sell my Baron and buy a performer, especially with their paint schemes.