Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Snakes Alert!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-16, 04:38 AM
hatrack71
bentrider

Bikes: Trek R200, Bike Friday NWT, Radius Hornet 2, Cruzbike Sofrider, Vision R-40 BF/ R-42, Actionbent Litespeed/ Jetstream, Bacchetta Giro (20 and 26), Tern Verge P9, Ryan Vanguard, Burley Limbo, Rans Stratus/ Wave/ V-Rex, Dahon Helios, others...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The animals I worry more about than snakes are moose and bear. Very common on the trails around here. Moose being the most aggressive.
Old 02-18-16, 07:29 AM
kevindsingleton 
Don't make me sing!

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Crosstrail Elite, 1986 Centurion Elite RS, Diamondback hardtail MTB, '70s Fuji Special Road Racer, 2012 Raleigh Revenio 2.0, 1992 Trek 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
If you live in western PA the one you might have seen is the massasauga rattlesnake pictured here: Interesting Facts about the Massasauga
That doesn't look like the one I saw. It was mostly just black, or dark gray, with no discernible pattern. Probably a hog snake, or some other non-poisonous variety.

I found a tiny little snake, about six inches long, in my yard, last summer. It coiled up and "rattled" its tiny little tail. I thought it was a baby rattler, but, after catching it and looking it up, it appears to have been a harmless milk snake with a tiny little attitude. I let it go. I couldn't figure out how to milk it!
Old 02-18-16, 07:33 AM
kevindsingleton 
Don't make me sing!

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Crosstrail Elite, 1986 Centurion Elite RS, Diamondback hardtail MTB, '70s Fuji Special Road Racer, 2012 Raleigh Revenio 2.0, 1992 Trek 1000

Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
I've found live cottonmouths/water moccasins hiding indoors under furniture a few times in Texas over the years. Usually only the small ones. My grandparents' home was on a lake front so it wasn't unusual. I've often fished in the evening on lake shores with water moccasins slithering around my feet. I wear boots but don't worry about 'em. They're just curious and lose interest when they realize you're too big to eat.
I grew up in Texas, and we often went to Cedar Creek Lake for summer outings. We were swimming on a beach, one afternoon, when a skier came in close to shore, let go of the rope, and tried to coast to the beach. He didn't have as much momentum as he wanted, so he straightened his path, which took him into a patch of reeds. There was a nest of water moccasins in those reeds, and the babies latched onto his legs and feet. This was in the mid-seventies, and before "911" and cell phones were available. It took about half an hour for an ambulance to arrive. Never heard how it turned out.
Old 02-18-16, 08:12 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Remember they taste just like chicken!!!!
Old 02-18-16, 09:49 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 180 Posts
This should ease your fears: The chances of dying from a venomous snakebite in the United States is nearly zero, because we have available, high-quality medical care in the U.S. Fewer than one in 37,500 people are bitten by venomous snakes in the U.S. each year (7-8,000 bites per year), and only one in 50 million people will die from snakebite https://www.google.com/search?q=numb...utf-8&oe=utf-8 One guy in my army unit was bitten by a cottonmouth moccasin while installing a dock in Florida. According to him it was extremely painful and left him with nerve damage in his hand.
Old 02-18-16, 09:58 AM
gery9

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
send this snake :-D
Old 02-18-16, 11:22 AM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by kevindsingleton
We saw a very large snake on the paved Great Allegheny Trail, outside Connellsville, a couple of years ago. Lots of people out, and a pretty warm day, and everyone just kept going, like it was a town pet that they all knew. Not sure what type of snakes live in PA, but this one was about five feet long, and thick-bodied, with dark gray to black scales.
Harmless. That would be just a black snake or also called rat snake. Had this guy meandering up to the house. Also about 5 foot.

Originally Posted by VegasTriker
If you live in western PA the one you might have seen is the massasauga rattlesnake pictured here: Interesting Facts about the Massasauga It is dark in color and looks pretty sizable. The timber rattler lives in eastern PA. Many years ago I was on a hike with a bunch of kids in northern NJ near the Appalachian trail. The kids in the lead came across a timber rattler and quickly dispatched it much to the horror of the older guys who were following behind. Timber rattlers and copperhead snakes were both very common there. I never knew anyone who got bitten.
I don't know anyone who's been bitten by a snake either. I've never seen a rattlesnake even with roaming all over the Allegheny National Forest all my childhood.

The copperhead I ran over was just outside of Emlenton at the beginning of the Allegheny River Trail. They are everywhere there. The guys at Petrowax right where the ART begins when it was in operation would kill them all the time.

There's only 3 venomous snakes in PA. The Massasauga, the eastern rattler, and the copperhead.

Last edited by mrodgers; 02-18-16 at 11:26 AM.
Old 02-18-16, 11:57 AM
Crewchief911

Bikes: Cannondale SR400

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Had a wild pig run out in front of me once. Pretty big one , too. I managed to brake in time to miss him, but he ran onto the highway ( I was on the service road) and a semi didn't miss...
Old 02-18-16, 05:54 PM
Wheever

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6 disk, 2016 Scott Big Jon Fat Bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
Suddenly I'm not minding riding in the snow.
But what about the dreaded North American snow snake? THE NORTH AMERICAN SNOW SNAKE KILLS THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE A YEAR!
Old 02-18-16, 06:14 PM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Crewchief911
Had a wild pig run out in front of me once. Pretty big one , too. I managed to brake in time to miss him, but he ran onto the highway ( I was on the service road) and a semi didn't miss...
Sausage!
Old 02-18-16, 07:15 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by Wheever
But what about the dreaded North American snow snake? THE NORTH AMERICAN SNOW SNAKE KILLS THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE A YEAR!
Yes!
Old 06-30-20, 04:05 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3662 Post(s)
Liked 5,408 Times in 2,747 Posts
Great first post Welcome to BF
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-30-20, 04:29 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by kevindsingleton
That doesn't look like the one I saw. It was mostly just black, or dark gray, with no discernible pattern. Probably a hog snake, or some other non-poisonous variety.
Could've been a rat snake - we would occasionally find 4+ footers in the yard when we lived in Pgh. One even crawled (?) up into the engine compartment of the car. Rather than running the car and risking snake guts all over the motor. I popped the hood and ran a cold water hose over the motor - snake got the message, dropped out onto the ground and slithered away.
Old 07-02-20, 07:21 PM
GeorgeStevens

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Be careful
Old 07-02-20, 07:40 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by hatrack71
The animals I worry more about than snakes are moose and bear. Very common on the trails around here. Moose being the most aggressive.
can't you just keep a Rattle snake in your pocket to throw at the bear or moose? problem solved,
Old 07-02-20, 10:07 PM
Zuzus pedals

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I bunny hopped a green snake in the road at 22 mph (my speed, not the snake's!) not too long ago. I was hoping I wouldn't misjudge things and come down on top of it with the rear tire, but I cleared it just fine.

Talking about rattlesnakes, I lived in Texas for 45 years and never once saw a rattler in the wild. I heard some rattling, but never saw any, even though I spent plenty of time in rattlesnake country. Odd, that. I suppose I might have been lucky not to come across any while doing all those trail runs for decades.
Old 07-03-20, 11:22 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
My wife and I used to go to several of the rail-trails in PA with a good friend of ours. Remember (don't remember the name of it) where each side had a few people with snake bags and poles. Asked what was with the bags and poles-they were catching rattlers to be "milked" of venom to be made into snakebite treatment. The guy we spoke with told us if we proceeded, to avoid the left side of the path, as he spotted a snake ahead which we didn't see. We didn't proceed after that.