Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Specialized "Ride" App Problems

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 07-11-20, 10:55 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22571 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts

I use the Angi crash detector and to pair it using the "Ride" app on my iPhone. I also like the fact my wife can check my route.

It has generally worked well for the past 2 years, but for the past few weeks it's not working right. The App seems to start fine but during the ride it logs me out. This is concerning not so much about losing the ride for Strava, but because I don't have confidence the system will alert my contacts if a crash happens.

I clicked on the option to "Contact Specialized" in the App and put all my info in, and got an error saying the request could not go through or be processed. WTF??

I hope this has not become an orphan product/program, but that's what I am wondering.

Anyone else notice this or have any insight? I can try contacting Specialized again via another channel of course.
Old 07-11-20, 03:04 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6173 Post(s)
Liked 4,790 Times in 3,305 Posts
I've had issues with the Ride app since its last update a month or so ago. While I haven't had any known troubles while on a ride, I have had it loose my helmet paring between some rides even though it showed as being saved with a unique name. Usually that happens when I for some reason get signed out and have to sign back into the app again.

Also, the updated did do some other odd things right after I let it update. So I went to the system settings of my phone and removed the app. Then upon reinstalling it worked much better with the exception of what I mentioned in the first paragraph. So try the uninstall/reinstall thing.

I'll try to give some feed back to Specialized on this too just so they know someone else is bothered.
Old 07-11-20, 08:33 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

I did send Specialized an email with my concerns. Will update post if any useful reply.
Old 07-14-20, 08:49 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I did send Specialized an email with my concerns. Will update post if any useful reply.
Good luck with that. I had a CS issue with them, and it seems like they have become almost non-existent in the pandemic.
Old 07-15-20, 04:43 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by Koyote
Good luck with that. I had a CS issue with them, and it seems like they have become almost non-existent in the pandemic.
So far, only an automated email reply. Not holding my breath.

Ironically, the app worked ok for today’s ride.
Old 07-19-20, 12:09 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

I'm still waiting for a response too. Not that I'm really owed one, but many other places will at least send a prefab form letter saying something noncommittal about how hard they are trying to resolve the issues.

I'm starting to have more and more trouble saving my rides. Not that I really need to as I use my Garmin Edge to record them and RWGPS to view them.

Very frequently I will end a ride, then tell it to save and it is as if it locks up. And I've let it sit for as long as the next ride and still I wind up forcing the app to stop and restarting it. Then I have to wait for minutes while it recovers the last ride and then I can successfully save or discard it.

Battery in my Angi is now very low. I've only got about nine hundred miles on it or maybe just a little over 60 hours of riding. I'll have to look and see what Specialized claims for battery life. But it seems I find my helmet connected to my phone when my helmet has been hung up on the wall for hours. And this too is something I've noticed since the last update, but might have been going on before that.
Old 07-19-20, 05:12 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by Iride01
I'm still waiting for a response too. Not that I'm really owed one, but many other places will at least send a prefab form letter saying something noncommittal about how hard they are trying to resolve the issues.

I'm starting to have more and more trouble saving my rides. Not that I really need to as I use my Garmin Edge to record them and RWGPS to view them.

Very frequently I will end a ride, then tell it to save and it is as if it locks up. And I've let it sit for as long as the next ride and still I wind up forcing the app to stop and restarting it. Then I have to wait for minutes while it recovers the last ride and then I can successfully save or discard it.

Battery in my Angi is now very low. I've only got about nine hundred miles on it or maybe just a little over 60 hours of riding. I'll have to look and see what Specialized claims for battery life. But it seems I find my helmet connected to my phone when my helmet has been hung up on the wall for hours. And this too is something I've noticed since the last update, but might have been going on before that.
Still no response. FYI it’s pretty easy to change the battery once you know how. The battery cover has to be rotated a bit and comes off. It’s a coin cell.
Old 07-19-20, 08:53 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by datlas
Still no response. FYI it’s pretty easy to change the battery once you know how. The battery cover has to be rotated a bit and comes off. It’s a coin cell.
Yeah, it's a little awkward the first time or two. Took me forever to figure out how to open the little remote to change batteries for our Amazon FireTV boxes.

The FAQ for Angi claims the battery should last six months. Mine lasted about a week less than four. Not a big deal but I haven't replaced the battery in my HR strap or speed/cadence sensor for over two years and they get used every time the helmet does. Seems odd the Angi uses that much more juice than they do and I'd think they are transmitting more often than Angi.

At least I can say I've had no false alarms other than when I shook my helmet way to hard one time to activate it for a ride. My son's garmin gave a false alert today when we accelerated very quickly from a green light then had to stop suddenly for traffic on the other side.
Old 07-26-20, 04:49 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

I never got a reply from Specialized, but it’s possible they fixed the issue. The last few times I used the Ride app it has NOT logged me off mid-ride.
Old 07-26-20, 09:44 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

I noticed last night that a new version was installed on my phone. ver. 3.7.1 which came out July 23. If we don't have any afternoon T-showers like we have for the last couple days I'll be trying it out.

Haven't looked through it yet to see whether any new or changed stuff. Nor have I looked for the change log to see what's up. They tend to hide version change logs lately for everything. I guess few care.