Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Something New in the Que! Cherry Tomato SBX

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Something New in the Que! Cherry Tomato SBX

Old 03-30-19, 02:32 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
I like it.
Fun that Columbus will offer support.
When I initially saw it… "Dr, I see spots", Dr. - "this could be serious", "tell me more"… it is this Bianchi… Dr, "I see, where id you see it?… excuse me while I make a call to intervene on your behalf, how much?"
Old 06-16-19, 05:05 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 602 Posts
Hello Bianchigirl. I would like to ask abouy your progress with this dotted beauty. Do you happe to have fresh pics? Congrats btw. Its a really nice one.
Old 07-03-19, 08:17 AM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Bikes: Why list them on a non-cycling website!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
It is amazing what you can find when you clean up. I've been looking around for this fork ever since I moved to Fort Wayne. I thought maybe a I sold it but couldn't remember for sure. I was cleaning up boxes in the garage to take to recycling center and moved an huge piece of an old bike box and viola! I really wanted to put a chrome fork on this bike but it was supposed to be a 'bin build' and I already bought a seat post. It is a just basic ChroMo but should look great anyway.
I'd love to see that frame with the new fork. I'm of the school where "splash" wrap has it's place and it's not on an Italian racer (even given some of their "splashy" paint jobs. I'd have to custom dot some plain tape to carry the look. I have a "snakeskin" paint job on one bike, but I haven't found anything close to matching it. I'd go full silver on the cockpit with the chrome forks installed. I can't give recommendations on the stem style. I usually dial in my reach with the stem regardless of frame size, my old body adapts fairly well considering I alternate between 47cm up to 60cm (I should be on a 52cm, don't' tell), and stems from 60mm to 140mm. I'll make a frame fit me if possible (it wasn't possible on a 43cm Q. Roo). Hope it's been a good ride!
Old 10-27-19, 02:05 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2910 Post(s)
Liked 2,830 Times in 1,457 Posts
I am embarrassed at how long this build is taking between my parts and stuff being in storage and working at the house and just other issues. With the "Rainbow Trout" Bertoni in the house I decided I had to get my but moving and finish this.

One issue was something was just not really popping with this build. While it looked good with the monotone red and black just wasn't making the bike exciting enough.

I was thinking about this project the other day and decided it might look much better with Celeste accents rather than black and red. New Bianchi decals are on order from "Down Under"

It still needs a few tweaks, I don't have a piece of Celeste SIS housing here for the RD, nor any housing ferrules (well actually I do but they are those odd Dia Compe brake lever ones) and I need a new O ring for the front brake.

A few months ago my Sister was doing a project on her Circut vinyl and card stock cutter and I snatched a small piece of this mint vinyl, she was actually nice enough to cut it in an oval shape for me

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 12-01-19, 12:26 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Just a bit more progress on the Cherry Tomatoe SBX. The decals came in from down under and I managed to get them on the frame over the long weekend.

I think the Celeste really pops out with the red background. I think I may have to go with a silver stem eventually but a ride is in order first. The saddle and post are just there no adjustments have been made

The decals are not exactly period correct but I think they are the best and most classic looking decals. I wish the fork was chrome but I am not in a hurry to look for one just yet. And no I have not taken the time to look in the storage locker for a piece of Celeste shifter housing.

Again this World Champ decal is technically correct but much better than the tiny little rainbow they were using in the mid '90s

Just an OK view of the SBX's ovalized DT

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 12-01-19, 04:28 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1937 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 627 Posts
Gorgeous frame! I am not up with modern components.... who is Rival?
Likes For 3speedslow:
Old 12-02-19, 02:38 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by 3speedslow
Gorgeous frame! I am not up with modern components.... who is Rival?
Thank You. They were made by Sachs back in the early to mid ‘90s. I don’t think much of the Rival stuff got imported but AFAIK they come from the same era as the New Success and Aris index shifting systems

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 03-05-20, 02:53 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Just an OK view of the SBX's ovalized DT
Hey Bianchigirl, i popped in to see if there are updates and noted the "unique" placing of the "Made in Italy" decal. I there any reason behind this?
Likes For Lattz:
Old 05-09-20, 06:54 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Just a little update.

This wasn't quite as finished as I thought. I intended to just make a few saddle adjustments and swap out the wheels but ended up doing a basic tune up and installing a missing cable!

Despite having a garage, the deepest one in own in fact, and a den I still do not have a proper work space, so Il'' just have to keep making do, although I have built and rebuilt some pretty nice bikes with a makeshift setup like this, with less tools.

I thonk she is ready to go now, just need that global warming to kick in. It was 28 here this morning!!

A quick heel swap. I took off the newer low mileage STX Parralax hubbed FIR wheels for these older Mavic Special Sport mounted to 600 EX hubs upgraded to 7sp HG.

These nice shiny FIR wheels will go on the Bertoni Speckled Trout' when it get it's turn in the stand next week.

I no sooner take my gloves off and call break time when I remember these..... However I believe these were earmarked for the Proto, Ti Mega tube and Cornelo

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk

Last edited by Bianchigirll; 05-09-20 at 07:04 AM.
Old 05-09-20, 07:12 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by Lattz
Hey Bianchigirl, i popped in to see if there are updates and noted the "unique" placing of the "Made in Italy" decal. I there any reason behind this?

HHmmm where is that pic? I believe that is ne of the places they ut in the '80s along with the base of the seat tube. I guess it also helped show off the at oval DT

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 05-09-20, 07:24 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

BTW..definitely need much better lighting. Anyone have experience with these screw in type LED lights? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...SWD50SMA&psc=1

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 05-09-20, 09:26 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Some things don't go as planned.

After the Ugly Betty and the Cornelo got some attention the SBX got another trip through the stand

I realized I still hadn't put a O ring on the front adjuster and then noticed a missing ferrule on the back brake. And while the Cornelo was in the stand I realized there was too much center post for these beautiful Ruby gems so they went to the SBX. While the almost celeste O rings were intended for the Proto I decided to just put them on here instead.

Not too bad looking. I am not certain if these are made up or they were actual CampI product for someone. The seller seemed to think they were the real deal.

The placement of the aforementioned 'Made in Italy' sticker.

WHile the SBX seemed mechanically finished something was a bit off.....I couldn't quite place it and then it hit me...... This was missing!!

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk

Last edited by Bianchigirll; 05-09-20 at 09:35 AM.
Old 05-09-20, 05:56 PM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 605 Times in 402 Posts
Fresh in from the land down under!
I was wondering how long it took to get the decals. My set was shipped April 15 and still no sign of them.
Old 05-09-20, 06:05 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by Wileyone
I was wondering how long it took to get the decals. My set was shipped April 15 and still no sign of them.
I don’t recall exactly but it can take a bit, not quite as long as Wish though

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 05-10-20, 06:52 AM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
Those lightbulbs look interesting. My bike room has two pullstring lightbulbs above the furnace ducting and the light and shadowing isnt ideal.
Likes For Narhay:
Old 05-10-20, 07:59 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by Narhay
Those lightbulbs look interesting. My bike room has two pullstring lightbulbs above the furnace ducting and the light and shadowing isnt ideal.
sounds like a place on Criminal Minds.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 07-24-20, 01:42 AM
Deerman

Bikes: Steyr Waffenrad ('52, '62, '71, '72, '74), Cannondale (Saeco CAAD4, Criterium), Bianchi (Martini Racing mtb, RC SBX "weird"), Burco (transport, speciaal opa)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Fresh in from the land down under!
Hi Bianchigirll - I am looking for identical SBX stickers for an SBX build. I tried contacting Columbus in Italy but they have told me that they do not supply SBX stickers. Can I ask who you bought yours from in Australia? Thanks!
Old 07-26-20, 03:40 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by Deerman
Hi Bianchigirll - I am looking for identical SBX stickers for an SBX build. I tried contacting Columbus in Italy but they have told me that they do not supply SBX stickers. Can I ask who you bought yours from in Australia? Thanks!

I forgot where this was posted. Yes I got them from the Gentleman in Australia. Howeer Columbus was nice enough to send me a few TSX stickers and other goodies

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 07-27-20, 03:53 AM
Deerman

Bikes: Steyr Waffenrad ('52, '62, '71, '72, '74), Cannondale (Saeco CAAD4, Criterium), Bianchi (Martini Racing mtb, RC SBX "weird"), Burco (transport, speciaal opa)

Bianchi SBX Decals

I forgot where this was posted. Yes I got them from the Gentleman in Australia. Howeer Columbus was nice enough to send me a few TSX stickers and other goodies
Ok thanks! If you can recall who the gentleman was that would be much appreciated - these stickers look really nice.
Old 07-27-20, 07:53 AM
Lattz

Aren't these from Cyclomondo? They are the "holy place" for vintage bike decals, if so, contact gtsoftley@ozemail.com.au per mail.
Old 07-27-20, 05:35 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Ok thanks! If you can recall who the gentleman was that would be much appreciated - these stickers look really nice.
Aren't these from Cyclomondo? They are the "holy place" for vintage bike decals, if so, contact gtsoftley@ozemail.com.au per mail.

the seller but you'll have to contact him and ask about the SBX. Maybe use my pic as an example. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Columbus-Bi...4AAMXQWx1RG9~N

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 07-28-20, 01:13 AM
Deerman

Cool guys - thanks! :0
Old 07-28-20, 10:35 AM
Lattz

Cool guys - thanks! :0
Normally I would not have interfere in others threads.... just because it is you, and I am still envy as eff..... lucky one.
Old 07-28-20, 11:48 AM
Deerman

Normally I would not have interfere in others threads.... just because it is you, and I am still envy as eff..... lucky one.
:0 I understand completely! You will of course be wondering why I am looking for SBX stickers. Well, after touching up the frame to fix flaking paint I am now reconsidering a respray... I know this is a big decision.... You can see the first draft of the touch up below - I'm not convinced about the quality of the work but maybe I'm being too much? For starters, he took off the RC sticker... There are a number of small issues that are hard to see in the pictures also.

Anyway there is a crazy Hungarian I have come across - a master frame painter (typical Hungarian!). Believe it or not he paints everything - no decals. Yes he would even paint the SBX Columbus sticker and the Bianchi logos etc.. This is just nuts so it's very tempting to go and get this done. Anyway let's see how the second version of the touch up goes...

Old 07-28-20, 12:13 PM
Deerman

:0 I understand completely! You will of course be wondering why I am looking for SBX stickers. Well, after touching up the frame to fix flaking paint I am now reconsidering a respray... I know this is a big decision.... You can see the first draft of the touch up below - I'm not convinced about the quality of the work but maybe I'm being too much? For starters, he took off the RC sticker... There are a number of small issues that are hard to see in the pictures also.

Anyway there is a crazy Hungarian I have come across - a master frame painter (typical Hungarian!). Believe it or not he paints everything - no decals. Yes he would even paint the SBX Columbus sticker and the Bianchi logos etc.. This is just nuts so it's very tempting to go and get this done. Anyway let's see how the second version of the touch up goes...

And a before picture for comparison...