Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

What is this?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-20, 05:08 PM
CasaCanu

Bikes: 86 Schwinn Sprint, Huffy mountain bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is this?

Traded 2 hubcaps from my 87 Ford Van for an 80’s vintage 10-speed in rideable condition. All Shimano components, original everything. The thing is, we can’t find anything on who made it. The logo is a circle with blue, yellow and red waves with a centered black H. The fork and seat tube say “Silver Cycle”, with the letters HJS. Made in Japan. Originally purchased in Brooklyn, NY. Does anyone know anything about this make/model?
I can’t post a picture—I’ve tried.
Old 08-08-20, 06:14 AM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1794 Post(s)
Liked 2,328 Times in 1,375 Posts
Casacanu

You have to post 10 x before you can post photos. That prevents spam from jamming the website. You can only post comments 5 x a day until you hit 10.
That's not a big amount. Post 5 today, 4 tomorrow and then you can load as many photos as you want.

You can post photos to the albums portion. Then an update here saying your photos are up there.

Best choice now is to go around to the C&V forum and add a comment about someone else's bike or comment on the introductions.

In the meantime, it's very hard to guess what you have. Could be well known, could be rare, we just need more details. You can do a couple of posts here listing more details
Old 08-08-20, 06:23 AM
CasaCanu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I figured out about the 10 posts right after I tried to post the photo, but thanks.

i was hoping someone would know/recognize the logo, because all my research so far has been a dead end—and I do online research as part of my job.
Old 08-08-20, 07:55 AM
PatTheSlat 

Bikes: '63 Schwinn American, '64 DL-1, '65 Schwinn Racer, '73 Super Course, '83 Voyageur SP, '89 Miyata 914, '03 EZ-1, '13 Raleigh i8 Folder

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts
Pic assist: https://www.bikeforums.net/g/user/524318

We're gonna need a way more zoomed out view of the bike for us to be able to tell you anything.
Old 08-08-20, 09:35 AM
CasaCanu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saved some other pictures to my album—thank you for the assist.

The rear derailleur is a Shimano Eagle, probably from 1974–which does not jibe at all with what history I have on the bike’s ownership, but that’s another story. The front derailleur is a Shimano Thunderbird.
oh, and it has a cottered crank.

Last edited by CasaCanu; 08-08-20 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Missing info
Old 08-08-20, 09:59 AM
PatTheSlat 

Bikes: '63 Schwinn American, '64 DL-1, '65 Schwinn Racer, '73 Super Course, '83 Voyageur SP, '89 Miyata 914, '03 EZ-1, '13 Raleigh i8 Folder

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts
I'd say '74 is about right, looks like a typical low-end 70s bike-boom road bike. Cottered cranks, steel rims, no-name steel center pull brakes. I wasn't around in the 70s but my understanding is that so many places were importing cheap bikes and putting their own branding on them that it's no wonder the brand name on this is relatively obscure. Your saddle clamp is on backwards and it looks like your handlebar stem is set way too high. If you fix those two things it could be an adequate basic cheap bike but don't expect to ever see much $$ value out of it. In other words... worth the trade for two van hubcaps, but probably not a whole heck of a lot more.
Old 08-08-20, 12:42 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
1974 is in the ballpark. That's a 1st generation Thunderbird, which makes it pre-1977 and it's likely no older that 1970. The serial number may tell us the manufacturer and year, which is far more imprtant than the brand name on the stickers. Regardless, this is at or near the bottom of the barrel for Japanese bicycles of the era and the type of bicycle that you could pick up, pre-Covid-19, at garage sales for $20.
Old 08-08-20, 04:42 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
It looks like a complete bike with the original front & rear reflectors. Pretty green paint job. (I can't believe the poor quality of brake cable routing). I think the value depends mostly on the condition of wheels and tires. If they're nice straight alloy wheels with no broken spokes & new tires then, it's worth more. If they're old obsolete chrome steel wheels with the original 45 year old tires it's worth far less. You might be able to get $50 for it if you're lucky.