Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Pinarello Treviso cyclo cross

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Pinarello Treviso cyclo cross

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-20, 01:44 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Pinarello cyclo cross bicycle 1980s

I just picked up a Pinarello cyclo cross bike. I'll add to this thread as I rebuild the bike. I've wanted to pick up a vintage cyclo cross for a while but they don't show up often. The bike is around the smallest I'll ride (a 56 center to top). I wanted it on the smaller side as vintage cross bikes tend to have a high bottom bracket. Also most, or at least the ones I've seen, don't take a very fat tire which makes sense since the pros ride tubulars. This bike, though, can take a 32c/35c tire which is a big plus.

I don't think this bike has seen a lot of use. The paint is in very good shape. And there is very little paint gone on the chain stay which suggests that it hasn't seen many miles. The bike came to me with a bunch of mainly Japanese parts and 3 x 7 gearing. The parts are fine but nothing special. I like the freewheel-a winner pro 12-28 7 speed that looks new--and the suntour bar con shifters.

I'll build the bike with different parts but I haven't decided on the build yet. I may go with suntour xc pro 3 x 7 and command shifters or I may go 3 x 7 shimano deore xt and bar ends. I like the idea of MTB gearing on a cross bike. Or I may "modernize" the bike by spreading the frame to 128 and going with brifters and a 46/30 crank.

The red tape the bike came with is ugly. This bike needs white housing and tape. I may go with a white rolls saddle and white time atac pedals as well.

I worked in a bike shop in the 80s and we sold Pinarellos. This bike has neat braze ons for the derailleur cables on the head tube (or perhaps the lug was cast that way), neat cut outs on the BB shell, nice fork tab reinforcements, and no chain stay bridge.

Edit: There is a Pinarello Treviso road bike. I figured this was the cross version of that bike based on what the seller told me but that could well be a mistake.

Last edited by bikemig; 08-10-20 at 09:05 AM.
Old 08-09-20, 01:56 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2926 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
Nice find.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 08-09-20, 02:28 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
the "diving bell" cable stops are brazed on.

Rare bike. pretty cool.
Likes For repechage:
Old 08-09-20, 04:59 PM
bikemig 

I'm not finding a lot of info on the Treviso cross even though the catalogs from the 80s are available. The Treviso cross doesn't seem to pop up in the catalogs. One of these sold as a repainted frame on eBay which is a dead ringer for my bike. In the 1989 catalog, the cross model shows up but it's different and a later model than mine. It has Oria tubing and the diving bell has disappeared for a more conventional set up.

Last edited by bikemig; 08-09-20 at 07:14 PM.
Old 08-09-20, 06:22 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1078 Post(s)
Liked 1,895 Times in 930 Posts
I think Old Fireleg might know a bit about these.

I don't think the model you're looking for is Treviso - that was the Italian city where Pinarellos were made. (Yes, there was a Treviso model, but that was a road bike.) I thought the CX bikes had a model name, but either I can't remember or they didn't.

The Cross model in the catalog looks a bit later than yours, as it has under BB cable routing and Oria tubing.

Like it a lot.
Likes For P!N20:
Old 08-09-20, 06:33 PM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by P!N20

I don't think the model you're looking for is "Treviso" - that was the Italian city where Pinarellos were made. (Yes, there was a Treviso model, but that was a road bike.) I thought the CX bikes had a model name, but either I can't remember or they didn't.

The Cross model in the catalog looks a bit later than yours, as it has under BB cable routing and Oria tubing.

Like it a lot.
This was sold to me as a "Treviso" cross but I reckon you could well be right and the Treviso on the seat tube just refers to the city where the bike was made. I thought it was the Treviso cross version of the road bike based on the seller's description and the little I read about it on the web.

This eBay listing was also sold as a "Treviso" cross. I dunno if the seller was right but the seller does give what he or she believes to be the back story to the bike:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Pin...2420202?_ul=AR

The pics of the bike are a dead ringer for mine other than the color but the bike has been repainted.

Last edited by bikemig; 08-09-20 at 09:27 PM.
Old 08-09-20, 06:49 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
have an '85 treviso with shimano 105 brakes. biggest tires i can fit are a "28 up front and a "25 in back. heavy but sturdy.
Old 08-09-20, 09:22 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1078 Post(s)
Liked 1,895 Times in 930 Posts
Some thoughts:

Pinarello decals are notoriously flakey. Yours don't look in too bad condition - which makes me wonder if they are replacements. To back this up, the seat tube decal is the 'split' version that made room for the second set of bottle cage mounts, which your frame doesn't have. Edit: I just notice the 'Cross' model above has the split decal with only one bottle mount, so disregard that. I guess there's no need for two bottles during a CX race.

Along with the single bottle cage mount, the cable guides on top of the BB shell would suggest a late 70's/early 80's frame, I believe. What's the serial number? The early 80's format would be X### (X=letter, #=number)

Last edited by P!N20; 08-09-20 at 09:30 PM.
Old 08-10-20, 04:41 AM
Old Fireleg

Bikes: '76 Colnago Super NR,'83 Romani Aero KL/SP SR, '85 Mino Denti Aero Master CR, '86 ALAN Cyclo-cross DA, '89 Bottecchia SLX CR, '90 Colnago Master Piu CR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 48 Posts

I don't think the model you're looking for is Treviso - that was the Italian city where Pinarellos were made. (Yes, there was a Treviso model, but that was a road bike.) I thought the CX bikes had a model name, but either I can't remember or they didn't.

Like it a lot.
What seems certain is the 1980-88 interval. '80 (short headtube's lugs), '88 ('89 catalog with Oria tubeset + old styl columbus decal) I think considering this link
https://www.speedbicycles.ch/velo/42...ross_1981.html
that the starting point is more '82 but even more '83. (The palmares sticker can also be a retrofit) You have already asked the magic question. If we get a response, we will be able to narrow down the production date's interval.
(It is surprising to me that none of the specimens that arose have a chainstays bridge.)
Old 08-10-20, 05:10 AM
bikemig 

Some thoughts:

Pinarello decals are notoriously flakey. Yours don't look in too bad condition - which makes me wonder if they are replacements. To back this up, the seat tube decal is the 'split' version that made room for the second set of bottle cage mounts, which your frame doesn't have. Edit: I just notice the 'Cross' model above has the split decal with only one bottle mount, so disregard that. I guess there's no need for two bottles during a CX race.

Along with the single bottle cage mount, the cable guides on top of the BB shell would suggest a late 70's/early 80's frame, I believe. What's the serial number? The early 80's format would be X### (X=letter, #=number)
Originally Posted by Old Fireleg
What seems certain is the 1980-88 interval. '80 (short headtube's lugs), '88 ('89 catalog with Oria tubeset + old styl columbus decal) I think considering this link
https://www.speedbicycles.ch/velo/42...ross_1981.html
that the starting point is more '82 but even more '83. (The palmares sticker can also be a retrofit) You have already asked the magic question. If we get a response, we will be able to narrow down the production date's interval.
(It is surprising to me that none of the specimens that arose have a chainstays bridge.)
Very helpful. It's likely 1985-1986. The serial number is LLNNN which according to this very helpful thread that both of you contributed makes it 1985-1986.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...inarellos.html
Old 08-10-20, 05:42 AM
bikemig 

Thanks to P!N20 and Old Fireleg for all the helpful info. Also--and I don't know why I hadn't noticed this earlier--but the sticker is a tretubi one. Plus the wrong sized seatpost was used. This is a 26.8 which likely makes it aelle tubing (or perhaps cromor?). The sticker does not say aelle though but columbus stickers are a bit of a mess.

Also could columbus SP take a 26.8 seatpost? I've seen one bike with what I am fairly certain was columbus SP that took a 26.8 seatpost.

The bike has all the nice details of a classic Pinarello. The fork has nice reinforcement tabs. My guess is that the fork and stays are Falck or something else pretty decent quality.

Last edited by bikemig; 08-10-20 at 06:05 AM.
Old 08-10-20, 06:33 AM
Old Fireleg

Bikes: '76 Colnago Super NR,'83 Romani Aero KL/SP SR, '85 Mino Denti Aero Master CR, '86 ALAN Cyclo-cross DA, '89 Bottecchia SLX CR, '90 Colnago Master Piu CR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Thanks to P!N20 and Old Fireleg for all the helpful info. Also--and I don't know why I hadn't noticed this earlier--but the sticker is a tretubi one. Plus the wrong sized seatpost was used. This is a 26.8 which likely makes it aelle tubing (or perhaps cromor?). The sticker does not say aelle though but columbus stickers are a bit of a mess.

Also could columbus SP take a 26.8 seatpost? I've seen one bike with what I am fairly certain was columbus SP that took a 26.8 seatpost.

The bike has all the nice details of a classic Pinarello. The fork has nice reinforcement tabs. My guess is that the fork and stays are Falck or something else pretty decent quality.
Yes, this '85 -'86 seems perfectly acceptable.
The maximum seat post diagonal of the SP tube is 27.0 mm. It may be less than that, but I don’t think it’s too common to be further narrowed to 26.8. But there may have been special considerations at CX. (SP was used for road frames 59 cm and above, for CX I don't know what the method was.)
Returning to the name. At the Italian manufacturers, with the exception of ALAN, the CX bikes were in fairly peripheral status, at least according to the catalogs. If even in ’89 he was just given the name “Cross,” I don’t think he had any other fantasy name before, but that’s just a guess, of course.

Last edited by Old Fireleg; 08-10-20 at 06:42 AM.
Old 08-10-20, 07:20 AM
bikemig 

Columbus tubing sticker

This is a good summary of the various Columbus tubing sets:

https://www.equusbicycle.com/bike/co...umbuschart.htm

One thing I am not certain of is whether the aelle tubing should be on the sticker or not. I had thought--perhaps incorrectly--that if the bike had aelle tubing that would show on the tubing sticker.

The left hand of the sticker is very hard to read as it's beat up but you can make out Tubi Reinforzati. I thought reinforzati meant double butted?

Old 08-10-20, 08:57 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
super cool
Old 08-10-20, 01:59 PM
bikemig 

So a little bit of sleuthing helped me figure out the tubing. I'm not that familiar with Columbus tubing stickers and this thread really helped me out:

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-question.html

The bike is Tretubi SL or SP. It would not surprise me if it were SP given that this is a cyclo cross bike designed for being raced on rough stuff. I don't know the tubing for the forks or the rear triangle but I know that Falck tubing was often used by Italian manufacturers with "tretubi" bikes. The mystery to me was why a 26.8 seatpost fitted the bike and not a 27.0 or a 27.2 which is what I would have guessed for SL or SP. But maybe the ears were pinched or maybe the tubing wasn't reamed out properly. Thanks to T-Mar for his help in figuring out this tubing sticker.

Here are the stickers on the bike:

Likes For bikemig:
Old 08-10-20, 02:45 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
...the cable guides on top of the BB shell would suggest a late 70's/early 80's frame, I believe. What's the serial number? The early 80's format would be X### (X=letter, #=number)
Many CX frames continued to use derailleur cables routed over the BB shell, longer than their road stablemates, as it was less prone to the mud fouling common in CX races.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 08-10-20, 04:14 PM
uncleMonty

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello T-Mar, sorry to misuse the thread for a personal message but as a "junior member" I can't send you a private message. We emailed 5 years ago and I wanted to ask you a question, but the address I had for you in 2015 no longer works. Would you mind sending me an email at "wild" at "music", then a dot, then "mcgill", then a dot and the first two letters of Canada, so I can reply? (Sorry to make the address obscure but I don't want it to be stripped by the forum software or harvested by spammers.) Thanks - Jon
Old 08-11-20, 03:10 PM
bikemig 

Big Tires

I'm still thinking about the build and whether to go 3 x 7 or modernize the bike by spreading the rear triangle to 130 mm and running "modern" gearing. I'll run 32c tires once I pick out the wheels.

But this bike can take big tires. I mounted up a set of wheels with phil wood hubs, mavic mod 4 rims (these are seriously wide rims), and Schwalbe marathon 700 x 35c tires. These tires measure 36c on those rims. I was surprised but they fit. I had thought that vintage cross bikes--by and large--did not take large volume tires. This one does.

Likes For bikemig:
Old 06-01-21, 06:56 AM
rolrolrol

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Found this thread (and bikeforums) via google because I've acquired the same frameset and was surfing the internet for info and build inspiration. Where did you end up with the build?
Old 06-01-21, 07:29 AM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by rolrolrol
Found this thread (and bikeforums) via google because I've acquired the same frameset and was surfing the internet for info and build inspiration. Where did you end up with the build?
It's still in the build queue! I've been too busy with life projects. I know I want to use the 46/30 IRD wide compact double as I have it in hand. I'll use Tektro 720 cantilevers because I think they work great.

For the gearing, I'll go 2 x 7 as I have a suntour winner 12-28 freewheel that would mesh nicely gearing wise with the 46/30 double. I have an almost complete suntour xc pro group that came off a top end Bianchi cross bike, a Bianchi equinox, that I plan on using with this build.
Likes For bikemig: