Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

If you could afford an e-bike, would it be your "go to" commuter?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

If you could afford an e-bike, would it be your "go to" commuter?

Old 04-03-20, 02:30 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
I can afford an e-bike, so which one would I get? NONE!! I'm sorry, but if I'm capable of riding a bike I want the exercise and not have the excuse to be lazy and use the motor.
Old 04-03-20, 02:48 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by PollyS8
It's better to ride a regular one, don't you think? (even if you're retired)

Mayhap it's also better to ride an assisted E-Bike and have a bit of assistance than not ride a regular bicycle at all, if you need a bit of assistance...
Likes For 350htrr:
Old 04-04-20, 10:08 PM
Joey21

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rhm
I agree! But doesn't your reference to "the road bike guys" bespeak a certain kind of tribalism?. I don't want to speak for anyone but myself; I'm a cyclist, but I don't see myself as a member of a 'cyclist tribe.'

Let's not forget that the question posed was "If you could afford an e-bike, would it be your "go to" commuter?" Well, I can. And it would not. But it always comes down to this: if things were different, things would be different. If I had been born with a different body, or if I lived in a hilly area, or [insert whatever hypothetical situation you like] then perhaps an ebike would be just the thing. If there are people to whom an ebike is a life-changing improvement, I'm entirely in favor. I can approve of them without being one of them. And while I do indeed approve of them, I'm under no delusion that they need my approval.
Well I don't identify them as road bike guys in any way to be critical, i simply identify them as more fitness oriented, perhaps more serious about this sport, and thus more able to cope with the steep hills around here. More so than a casual biker try to haul home.two well packed panniers over the hills and through the woods before anything spoils.
Old 04-04-20, 10:13 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by Joey21
Well I don't identify them as road bike guys in any way to be critical, i simply identify them as more fitness oriented, perhaps more serious about this sport, and thus more able to cope with the steep hills around here. More so than a casual biker try to haul home.two well packed panniers over the hills and through the woods before anything spoils.
Yup, I get that.
Old 04-04-20, 10:21 PM
Joey21

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
FWIW the last time I checked, charging my 48V 13.5AH battery costs around a nickel according to my KillAWatt meter. I seldom run mine very flat. I try to keep it between 80% and 20% per the experts instructions. I charge to 80% and then ride it to work and home using maybe a quarter of the 60% available charge. If it is a hot day here in hot, hilly and humid central I might ask the battery for more boost so I arrive at work sweat free. On the way home I play a game to see how little boost I can get by with because at home I can shower. Can I do it on less than 2 Volts? Less than 1 volt? Usually I consume about 2 volts each way in moderate weather. Don't have a WH meter though I know I could calculate it. The trip in to work is easier than the trip home due to elevation changes.
Old 04-05-20, 07:31 PM
VinceXE

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well if I could afford an e-bike, that also means I could afford some of the best regular commuter bikes. So no I would buy one. E-bikes do seem fun though. Maybe in another 5 years we will be seeing the start of "big box ebikes" and the "if you could afford" would go out of the window.
Old 04-05-20, 08:32 PM
alo

Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
When I get an e-bike, I will still keep regular bikes. Each time I go out, I will decide which one to use.

With e-bikes, you can go further.
Likes For alo:
Old 04-05-20, 10:45 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
My pal just bought one of those fancy and very expensive Specialized Turbo Creo thingys with Di2, He has been healing up from hip replacement surgery and absolutely loves it!!!
Likes For bpcyclist:
Old 04-06-20, 10:30 AM
Joey21

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by leebo
50 -60 lbs, ugg, why? It's only 18 miles one way, why would i need an electric motorcycle? No kids, heavy cargo or long distances, those make sense for some battery stuff. $ not and issue. Depending on season, i have 5 commuters to chose from.
steep hills!
Old 04-06-20, 10:39 AM
Joey21

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tjspiel
While e-bikes represented 47% of revenue from bike sales, they only accounted for 25% of new bike sales. Of course, the majority of Dutch cyclists didn't buy new bikes last year so e-bikes still are well in the minority.
Of course, once you add an enclosure, a motor, a 3rd wheel, and maybe some extra cargo space, it might be more of a micro-motor vehicle than a bike.
Like one of these? https://mypodride.com/

I'm pretty sure that it'll cost multiples of my old Chevy. And the silliness factor is much, much higher than a standard ebike. Don't get me wrong - I hope they sell millions of the little things and everyone rides around this way. However in a world that worries about what brand your phone or shoes is, I can't see this little guy getting alot of sales in the USA.
Old 04-06-20, 11:24 AM
Joey21

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
On the subject of batteries - I have two data points. One is a 48V 12AH Jueshai battery, the other is a 48V 13.5AH Lunacycle battery.

The Jueshair battery is three years old, ~650 miles old, range is still similar to new.
The Lunacycle battery is nearing 3000 miles and four years of use, range is still similar to when it was new.
I run the battery no lower than 20% and charge no higher than 80% except maybe once a month to balance the cells (only happens at 100% charge I read). I ride it soon after charging to 100%.

I prefer a more visually simple bicycle look but on my bike (the yellow bike with Lunacycle drive) everything has a purpose. I ride to work so lights, fenders, and so forth. ~$1200 if I ignore the cost of the bike I've already owned for 12+ years. I upgraded the brakes to cable discs when I replaced the wheels for cheap.

The Jueshai was also about $1200. Just like many Aliexpress retailers the price fluctuates. I think it may be the same brand bike we saw in NYC being used for food deliveries.

I'd love to have purchased it from a LBS but our local LBS sells ebikes that cost in the thousands of dollars. My budget doesn't allow for $3500 bicycles.

Both bikes have throttles but honestly around here with all the hills, its easy to run a battery to flat if the throttle is relied on too much. We tend to ride in lowest PAS boost except on the hills. On the rare flat surfaces I try to run zero boost. Not trying to break any laws of physics just maintain ~10-15 mph and minimize my time spent on a couple of hilly blind curves. Hills - did I mention the hills? Hills are a very valid use of an ebike no matter what anybody says.

My part of the country does not have a strong bicycle culture. Most folks have a bike when they are kids but as soon as they get a driver's license they forget about the bike. And not alot of kids doing much besides riding back and forth on their driveway or in front of their house b/c hills, heat and humidity. There are the road bikes folks here who are really serious about their equipment and their fitness but they are not a large number of people. People DO flock to the paved bike paths but they are few in my state. Still seems wrong to me to DRIVE an SUV carrying a bike to a special place to go for a pedal. We ought to have bike paths all over that makes a bicycle a more useful mode of transportation but alas politics and their priorities.

Old 04-06-20, 01:00 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 427 Posts
an e-bike, would it be your "go to" commuter?
Probably not. I'm somewhat of a traditionalist. I want the essential effort/health benefits, without issues of increased weight, complexity and obsolescence (new repairs of more-expensive components), likely increased risk of targeted theft, etc. With bikes, I prefer them rather simple. But that's me.

I appreciate that they can help get people around, and can certainly help with hills in cases where folks cannot otherwise cope easily with them. Old leg injuries, here, so I suppose I'm a prime candidate for the target market for these things. If my legs ever get incapable of the terrain I've got to contend with, then I might consider it. At this point, though, I don't think they're for me.
Old 04-06-20, 01:12 PM
Madhibee

Bikes: Custom kart

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
To be honest if I had a e bike I would take it apart and add it to my custom kart
Old 04-06-20, 02:36 PM
Joey21

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Tell us more about the custom kart! Intriguing.
Old 04-09-20, 07:30 AM
ryan786i

Bikes: 2018 Jamis Renegade Explore, 2011 Raleigh Cadent FT0

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
It probably would be for me. Currently my work commute would only be three miles (well, right now it's about twenty feet, but normally), which is fine, but virtually any trip anywhere else kicks in at about four miles one way and I tend to sweat a lot. So I imagine an e-bike would help to keep sweat down when needed without having to go a whole lot slower, while still having the ability to put in real effort, albeit in a different way from what we're used to. I think that's really the thing--you can be someone using the e-bike basically as a lower cost motorcycle (except that's crazy because you can get a decent motorcycle for a lot of complete e-bike prices) or as someone using the e-bike as bike. I think we can get hung up on it being so much heavier, but the idea is that the assist can at a minimum erase that and then you can find the balance of exertion and assist you want at any particular time. Really, in being used as a bike, I think the use cases can vary a lot, though it all comes back to some version of a person continuing to ride and be active, which is an all around positive, I'd say.

As for what I'd get, I've never had a Kona but want one, so maybe a Dew-E or Electric Ute if I'm being very practical and reasonable. A Remote if I was feeling crazy.
Old 04-09-20, 08:04 AM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by alo
When I get an e-bike, I will still keep regular bikes. Each time I go out, I will decide which one to use.

With e-bikes, you can go further.
My sentiments precisely. N+1 is a fine working principal with un-powered and powered cycles in combination.

An engineering friend of mine said that he is technology-neutral by training; ethical and ideological values may be sifted, weighed and applied in problem-definition and decision-making, but tools are simply tools.
Old 04-09-20, 12:50 PM
Joey21

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ryan786i
It probably would be for me. Currently my work commute would only be three miles (well, right now it's about twenty feet, but normally), which is fine, but virtually any trip anywhere else kicks in at about four miles one way and I tend to sweat a lot. So I imagine an e-bike would help to keep sweat down when needed without having to go a whole lot slower, while still having the ability to put in real effort, albeit in a different way from what we're used to. I think that's really the thing--you can be someone using the e-bike basically as a lower cost motorcycle (except that's crazy because you can get a decent motorcycle for a lot of complete e-bike prices) or as someone using the e-bike as bike. I think we can get hung up on it being so much heavier, but the idea is that the assist can at a minimum erase that and then you can find the balance of exertion and assist you want at any particular time. Really, in being used as a bike, I think the use cases can vary a lot, though it all comes back to some version of a person continuing to ride and be active, which is an all around positive, I'd say.

As for what I'd get, I've never had a Kona but want one, so maybe a Dew-E or Electric Ute if I'm being very practical and reasonable. A Remote if I was feeling crazy.

That's what I like to do: enough boost to make the bicycle weight neutral. On the steepest hills I shift down to "granny gear" and climb with level 2 PAS. Granny gear on my bike means 42T/42T but I'm a big guy so a little boost helps. My hills here would be steep even for a pedestrian in places. Still on low boost I'm huffing and puffing pretty good at the top which is my intention. I hot mid-summer weather or when I'm racing a storm home - I might attack the same hills with PAS 4 or 5. I have a big battery and a big motor so nothing is stressed but the rear wheel and the chain. What I rarely do is try to use the throttle to match my pedaling needs b/c (1) i run the battery down much faster and (2) the throttle and the PAS fight each other so I have to go to PAS 0 before I can use the throttle while pedaling. I think - and I don't know because I so rarely do that. Its just not smooth to operate this rig like that.

Last edited by Joey21; 04-09-20 at 01:32 PM.
Old 04-09-20, 01:06 PM
alo

Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Joey21
Like one of these? https://mypodride.com/.
I like them too, but it would depend on the price. They have not set the price yet.

Old 08-09-20, 10:12 PM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I started this thread nearly 5 years ago. A lot of things have changed in that time. My commute went from 7 miles each way to 65 miles each way (ended the bike commuting.) And now with corona virus, my commute is zero miles. My e-bike was at my place of employment 65 miles away and parked for the last 6 months since teleworking from home. I finally went back to the office to pick up the bike and a few other things. I've been riding the e-bike for the last two days - it has been a lot of fun. I have lost my conditioning over the last few years and a 20-25 mile ride on my road bike was leaving me pretty gassed. Yesterday, I did three 25 mile rides on the e-bike. Today a total of 40 miles. I used the assist at different levels as I needed. It was great to visit places that were a bit out of my range (due to fitness... or a lack of it) on my regular road bike.

So, while I'm using the bike now for "exercise" and the pure enjoyment of being on a bike. I realize why an e-bike makes such a great commuter - you can throw pretty much whatever you want in the panniers without regard to thinking about weight. I've seen the argument for scooters (I own one of those as well) however, 90 percent of my cycling is on MUP's - scooters are not legal. I really enjoy riding my bicycles away from the risk and noise of motor traffic.

Affordability has changed. I see some pretty good e-bikes (rad power bikes) that cost nearly half of what my conversion kit (bionx) cost. I see many, many more e-bikes in use today than I saw when I started this thread. Many friends that work in Seattle that used to take public transit switched to e-bikes once covid-19 struck. I haven't been to a bike shop lately, but I met someone on the trail that had just purchased a new e-bike and he mentioned that all bicycles seem to be in short supply. I see that as a good thing. People looking for different ways to commute and to exercise.

Keep riding... stay safe.
Likes For InTheRain:
Old 08-29-20, 08:52 PM
afreudianslips

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I do have one, and I love it - no showers at my office, and I can get to work without breaking a sweat on the ebike.
Old 08-30-20, 10:03 PM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
I use my ebike as a commuter. It gives me consistency as far as times, uphill, against the wind. I commute with my ebike 3-4 times a week about 12 miles one way. I am constantly changing the way I ride and the assist levels that I use. If I'm tired I use more assist and turn it into a spinning bike. I've been commuting now for two years. Like anything, if you take care of things they take care of you.
Old 08-31-20, 12:56 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
A Cargo bike.. given the Motor power, I can then haul stuff more than my fat butt.. ..
Old 09-04-20, 08:55 AM
Joey21

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
That blue Jueshuai 500W bike has now passed 1100 miles. Its out of commission this week b/c it has a flat tire and I have not made time to repair it. Spent last evening working on older teen's car which needed both clutch cylinders. Haven't ridden my bike much this summer. Too busy, not made the effort to make time to ride to and from work. Younger teen is riding the Jueshuai to school to avoid riding a school bus in the time of COVID. Upgraded the bike locks. Taught teen how to lock it up securely. No problems. Teen loves to ride in the morning b/c it wakes them up, loves to ride home b/c no waiting and helps them unwind. We love it b/c we don't need to leave work to shuffle them home and then return to work.

Planning to bring my ebike to work for lunchtime rides next week even if I can't ride in. In an hour's time I can cover alot of ground and unload alot of stress before returning to work.
Old 09-16-20, 10:57 PM
bonjourpanda

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
My main worry about using an ebike would be it getting stolen or vandalised, because they're so expensive. Other than that, I'd use one for travelling distances for sure, or hauling heavy things. For short trips and leisurely cycling around I'd still use nonelectric.