Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

tubeless tires road bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

tubeless tires road bike

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-20, 11:40 AM
shona

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
tubeless tires road bike

At the suggestion of somebody I put tubeless tires on my road bike. I realize I know nothing about them. How much pressure do I want in the tires? I like 100 in my regular tube tires. I bought Stans No Tubes Dart in case I get a flat on the road but I'm not really sure how it works. Do any of you have tubeless tires on your road bike? If so, please share your knowledge. Thank you
Old 08-09-20, 01:10 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
There are a lot of threads. Maybe start on this one - https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...eless-not.html
Old 08-09-20, 01:11 PM
shona

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
tubeless tires

Originally Posted by WhyFi
There are a lot of threads. Maybe start on this one - https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...eless-not.html
Thank you. I didn't notice it.
Old 08-10-20, 06:43 AM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts
There are also lots of online videos on the use and maint of tubeless tires.
Old 08-10-20, 07:21 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
This discussion usually turns in to a holy war. Search some old threads, there's lots of info out there. My suggestion: have your first set put on my an LBS. Tubeless tires can be hard to mount and seal at first. They also require different materials and skills if and when you puncture on the road.
Old 08-10-20, 07:35 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by dmanthree
My suggestion: have your first set put on my an LBS.
My suggestion: if you go this route, only do so if they'll let you watch and (ideally) talk you through some of the nuances. The biggest obstacle with tubeless is the learning curve; having someone do it for you doesn't help you with that unless you can watch and bounce questions off of them.
Old 08-10-20, 10:41 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
My suggestion: if you go this route, only do so if they'll let you watch and (ideally) talk you through some of the nuances. The biggest obstacle with tubeless is the learning curve; having someone do it for you doesn't help you with that unless you can watch and bounce questions off of them.
Agree. Mounting tubeless is not like tubed, and you may need a special pump to give it that first "blast" you need to seat the bead on the rim. There are special floor pumps with a charge tank attached, and they help a lot. Since there is no tube, getting things seated properly, and installing the valve properly is crucial. None of this is hard, just different.

There's lots of videos on YouTube that can be helpful, as well.
Old 08-10-20, 10:46 AM
shona

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
tubeless tires

Thank you. The bike shop I go to put them and and got me set up. I just have questions like how much pressure do they need? I keep 100 in my tubed road bike tires. I also have questions about what to do it I get a flat but, as you pointed out, I can probably find something on YouTube that addresses that. Thanks
Old 08-10-20, 11:07 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by shona
Thank you. The bike shop I go to put them and and got me set up. I just have questions like how much pressure do they need? I keep 100 in my tubed road bike tires. I also have questions about what to do it I get a flat but, as you pointed out, I can probably find something on YouTube that addresses that. Thanks
There are a number of online pressure calculators - use them as a starting point, but adjust as needed/wanted.

Set yourself up for maintenance schedule first - do that and flats will be few and far between, as long as you're using an appropriate sealant. Again, lots of info in the other thread.
Old 08-10-20, 11:31 AM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Check the max pressure of your tire and wheel. If 100 psi doesn't exceed it you're fine running that.
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop