Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Can anyone identify the manufacturer of this frame?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Can anyone identify the manufacturer of this frame?

Old 07-04-20, 12:05 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
-----

did not intend to suggest any relation between the Rizzato serials posted above and your frame

posted them only as an example of an Italian manufacturer who places serials on the drive side of the seat tube

one thing which struck me immediately about your serial is the 800 number

made me wonder if perhaps it was an eighth or an eightieth rather than an eight hundredth, making no claims

reminded me of when one takes out a new checking account and the bank officer helping you asks if you would like your check numbers to begin with 1000 rather than 001 so that persons receiving your checks will not be suspicious of them as coming from a new account

at a one-man workshop operation near my home the owner put the number 017 on his shop truck to make his business appear large enough that it had a fleet of vehicles...

---

wrt the head parts -

when you disassembled things did you discover any markings on the head parts? obviously a high quality set with races rectified post-plating. locknut rings a bell with my "memory" but am unable to place it.

those are lots of good quality fittings which came to you with the frame but the HS is the only one which appears early enough to possibly be original to the cycle.

-----

Last edited by juvela; 07-04-20 at 02:39 PM. Reason: addition
Old 07-19-20, 01:53 PM
T.McD.

Bikes: Gios Torino Super Record, Giant TCR C1, Gary Fisher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
finished project

As done as it will get. thanks all for your insights and comments. i'm satisfied with knowing the bike is old and most likely Italian. Will ride it with the respect it deserves. Ironically my grand father on my mother's side, Genaro Farro, was an orphan prior to emigrating to the US; Brooklyn, NY. The frame seems to be a bit of an orphan as well. In a good home now.
Old 08-10-20, 05:04 PM
T.McD.

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Bugatti

Similar fork crown.
Old 08-10-20, 05:19 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
-----

Great to see you have kept busy not only with your spanner twisitng but also with your explorations!

Bike looks very fine indeed.

My recollection is that there is no Bugatti cycle manufacturer and bicycles bearing the name are contract builds. Perhaps other readers shall have more & better information on this subject. Years ago had a "his and hers" set of Bugatti cycles come through my workshop. They were lower end models similar to a Peugeot U08 or Raleigh Gran Prix. Clearly contract builds but never did learn the actual manufacturer. They had been purchased at Seattle's Pike Place Market about 1973.

The subject frame certainly does bear a strong resemblance to yours.

There is this entry regarding cycles designed by Ettore Bugatti -

https://italiancyclingjournal.blogsp...-bicycles.html

Here is a forum post from a member showing what is clearly a Garlatti machine wearing transfers which proclaim it to be "Cicli Bugatti Italia" -

https://www.bikeforums.net/21033398-post13.html

One poster has stated that the Cicli Bugatti Italia name belongs to someone located in France. If you should wish to pursue the identity of the white frame's maker you might check with the national offices of trademark registration and business licensing for both France and Italy since all of the cycles bearing the name seem to issue from the latter nation. The white frame appears to hail from the late 1960's to early 1970's era. It may well be that the Cicli Bugatti Italia entity has long since gone defunct.

-----

Last edited by juvela; 08-10-20 at 06:04 PM. Reason: addition
Old 08-11-20, 07:27 PM
T.McD.

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
By the way, the seat post displayed in the earlier photos was wrong. The actual seat post was an SR 26.4. Not sure that matters now but want to correct the error.