Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Aero road bar + stem with internal cabling advice requested

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-19, 08:27 PM
LuMax

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Tarmac 2019 "Sagan" Edition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts

I just ordered a 2019 Tarmac disc frame, I'm finally upgrading from my 2011 S-Works Roubaix. I was planning to go with the 2019 S-Works Aerofly II Carbon Handlebars and stem, but those bars are out of stock until late spring. I love the look and internal cable routing of these bars, very clean with my planned Di2 groupset and disc brakes, and very aero as well.

So now I am looking for alternatives in a lightweight aero bar + stem combo (prefer shallow drop) that will also allow for all cables to be routed internally. I have a few ideas in mind, but I am very interested is knowing what other combos members chose and if you are happy with the results? Any combos to definitely avoid?

Thus far I am completely undecided. I would like to get something ordered within the next 7-10 days though.

One combo I am considering is the Zipp SL70 + Speed Stem but I am not yet certain.

Last edited by LuMax; 01-26-19 at 09:37 PM. Reason: errors in first posting
Old 01-26-19, 09:07 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Can your frame accommodate wholly internal routing? Or are you looking for bars that feed in to a stem and then exit the stem just before the clamp for the steerer?
Old 01-26-19, 09:39 PM
LuMax

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Can your frame accommodate wholly internal routing? Or are you looking for bars that feed in to a stem and then exit the stem just before the clamp for the steerer?
After re-reading my post I edited it. I want internal cabling as much as possible, I would prefer them to be tucked close in to the steerer.
Old 01-27-19, 05:40 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
No. In the Specialized product line, only the Venge has this capability.
Old 01-27-19, 07:36 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Thing is LuMax, handlebar shape is very personal. For example, I am hugely fussy about ergonomics. Very few even aero bars have a flat transition from top of hooks to shifter hoods...what is called the ramp of the bar to the shifter. Flat tops adjacent to the stem are also comfortable and aero due to being thin in frontal cross-section. Bar width is hugely important so do some soul searching before throwing down big coin for a handlebar not only shape you want but choice of width. I would say 'most' good riders don't want an integrated bar and stem...but there are exception that will live the ergonomic 'fallout' of not being able to precisely tune handlebar tilt angle in favor at the 1 watt saved at 30 mph.

Maybe get some ideas from this video. Keep in mind, pros in the following video aren't us. They have the benefit of a warehouse of handlebar options from a given mfr. We don't. For us, trial and error is 'very' expensive.

Good news for you is...the Tarmac does not thread the cables and hydraulic brake hoses 'through the stem' like the Venge and other aero specific 'modular' bikes. . Makes it a lot easier to size cables in particular. But still a fair amount of work to make it right if routing through the handlebar and through the frame as you intend and what I just went through with my R3.

I don't like disc brakes for where I live but I like cables routed through the handlebars and frame and will share some pics. Best way to do it...after sizing the cables and hoses approximately is...install the cables and in your case the hoses onto the handlebar and then take this sub assembly and install the handlebar on the bike.

I just built an Cervelo R3 and went through this. New handlebar. New stem. New groupset My Di2 experiment...Di2 came on the bike with more roundish alloy handlebar...was short lived and hated the handlebar that came with he bike and the stem was too short. Other than that, everything was fine. My handlebar of choice after trying countless handlebars is the FSA K-wing compact and owning it on different bikes...mostly for the flat transition to the hoods...aero and light enough...most ergonomic bar I have ridden...top splays slightly downward and toward the rider outboard just as you hands drape on the top. Clever design. There maybe more aerodynamic bars out there...the K-wing isn't bad...or lighter, but none more comfortable to me.

See how handlebar routing works with Campy. All mechanical groupsets are pretty similar. You will have a slightly different challenge with routing hydraulic hoses but really not much different all said.

A thought is...because handlebar choice is huge IMO...maybe build with a cheap handlebar intially...even with external routing under the bar tape of course...until the bar of your dreams arrives in the spring. Cheap bars can be had for a song. Meanwhile play around with dialing in your cockpit because fit is going to be quite different between Roubaix and Tarmac as it is for example between my Roubaix and R3...I choose to ride the R3 more slammed because its a bike I want to ride fast on. This bike beckons me to hammer.

Post with any questions or concerns if you are new to cable routing and bike building.

Some pics for perspective including a dark pic of my new bike on the stand. Note the flat transition to the hoods which take pressure off the base (heel/ulnar nerve) of the hands. Very comfy and important with more pressure on the hands when riding a lower handlebar.

Last edited by Campag4life; 01-27-19 at 07:51 AM.
Old 01-27-19, 09:16 AM
LuMax

Excellent post Campag4life, thanks.
I plan to stop by the bike shop tomorrow and take a closer look at the cable routing on the frame, then take a much closer look at the available options. With Di2 and disc brakes cable length and routing will be easier than rim brakes, but I still want them to be as clean and unseen as possible.
Old 01-27-19, 09:24 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by LuMax
Excellent post Campag4life, thanks.
I plan to stop by the bike shop tomorrow and take a closer look at the cable routing on the frame, then take a much closer look at the available options. With Di2 and disc brakes cable length and routing will be easier than rim brakes, but I still want them to be as clean and unseen as possible.
Do you plan to build it yourself at home? If so, I hope you post some pics of the process. A fair amount of disc brake lovers on the forum who may appreciate seeing how the brakes and/or Di2 get routed through bars. Also, if you want to get even more creative, Shimano has a Di2 'barend' junction box that fits inside the hook end of the dropbar which removes the junction box from the stem area decluttering the bike..but...requires more created E-tube routing through the handlebar. But if going for the ultimate build...only a few dollars more to hide the front junction box...where you charge 'and program' Di2 to your shift preference.

The Tarmac is a fantastic bike. It is a hint aggressive for me. I can ride it...maybe with a flipped up stem or some spacers...the R3 has a taller stack and a slightly longer wheelbase and is a bit friendlier to ride...but I haven't ruled out a Tarmac SL6 at some point as a stablemate to the R3.

Have fun with the build. A feast for bike guys...bike you are choosing is up top of the food chain.

Last edited by Campag4life; 01-27-19 at 09:29 AM.
Old 03-09-19, 05:09 PM
LuMax

I ended up choosing the Specialized Aerofly II bars, aND there was no way to make them "wireless".
I heatshrinked the right brake line and Di2 cable together, so ended up with just the two "cables".
I'm satisfied with the outcome, sorry for the crappy photos.

Likes For LuMax:
Old 03-10-19, 09:19 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
I ended up choosing the Specialized Aerofly II bars, aND there was no way to make them "wireless".
I heatshrinked the right brake line and Di2 cable together, so ended up with just the two "cables".
I'm satisfied with the outcome, sorry for the crappy photos.

The heat shrinking was a great idea. It looks great. Nice and clean
Old 03-11-19, 08:13 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Shimano needs to figure out how to integrate conductors into the brake hose...
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 03-11-19, 08:39 PM
LuMax

Originally Posted by Kimmo
Shimano needs to figure out how to integrate conductors into the brake hose...
Else just bond the wire to the brake line, sort of like a lamp cord?

Last edited by LuMax; 03-11-19 at 08:39 PM. Reason: spelling
Likes For LuMax:
Old 08-11-20, 09:03 PM
joeminglin

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62

The heat shrinking was a great idea. It looks great. Nice and clean
Does the brake hose nut fit through the holes in the bar? Or do you have to cut the hose and install without the nut?
Old 08-12-20, 12:44 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Else just bond the wire to the brake line, sort of like a lamp cord?
or just use heat shrink like in your case
Old 08-13-20, 12:12 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
I am surprised there arent more brands making stems like this. You dont have to route the cables inside the stem either - just having a channel on the underside of the stem, with some kind of clamp to keep the cables in place (ala the Spesh Venge stem) would tide up the wiring a lot. A little bit of cable pokes out from under the stem and enters the frame shortly after.
Old 08-13-20, 12:28 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla
I am surprised there arent more brands making stems like this. You dont have to route the cables inside the stem either - just having a channel on the underside of the stem, with some kind of clamp to keep the cables in place (ala the Spesh Venge stem) would tide up the wiring a lot. A little bit of cable pokes out from under the stem and enters the frame shortly after.
Yeah, the stem/bars on the new Domane is similar and I'm at a loss as to why more aren't doing the same.
Old 08-13-20, 01:43 PM
dscohen

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 12 Posts
Wilier has a solution with the Stemma/Barra combo or integrated with the Alabarda. I believe 3T is also doing a bar and stem combo with internal cable routing. Here's the Barra and Stemma...

Likes For dscohen:
Old 08-13-20, 02:12 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
I went with the Zipp SL dropped stem and Enve aerobars on my '19 rim Swerks Tarmac.