Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1993 Diamondback Apex

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-20, 03:11 AM
Eyasluna

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1993 Diamondback Apex

There is an Apex for $100 that appears to be in good condition. Is this a good price for the bike? I'm currently commuting on a 1990 trek antelope that needs some serious TLC. I'm debating whether I should pick up the Apex or put the money/time into maintenance for the Antelope. I'm new to biking and wouldn't know where to start on the Trek. Thanks for reading.

Can post link/pics once I hit the 10 post requirement.

Last edited by Eyasluna; 08-12-20 at 03:15 AM.
Old 08-12-20, 07:21 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
That's a very resonable price for the Apex, especially now. But unless the seller can demonstrate that it's been overhauled, you're still looking at putting money and/or time into it. Less so than with the Trek, to the tune of $100 or more? You'd have to assess both bikes to know that. If you can afford it and manage the space, it doesn't have to be an either/or; a $100 investment into a backup bike is not a bad idea, esp if you depend on a bike to commute.

What model of Trek do you have? "Antelope" is the series, and there's a range in quality between the 800, 820, 830 and 850. Do you have at least an vague sense of what work it needs?

Do you have any interest in DIY?

Photo option - go ahead and attempt to post them. The forum software won't let you (yet), but it will place them in your member album, and we can view / post them from there.
Old 08-28-20, 11:51 PM
Eyasluna

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
By the time I went for the buy the Apex was gone. I would like to work on the antelope. It's an 800 21 speed from 1990 with 200gs components. The small cog broke off and occasionally jams the cranks when I ride and the right shifter thumb piece is broken so I can't shift. Im thinking of replacing the drivetrain. A complete set of 8 speed m310 altus is $100. Could this work for the antelope? I posted the link for the altus on my visitor messages on my profile. Also if I have to move this thread elsewhere let me know. Thanks

Last edited by Eyasluna; 08-29-20 at 12:01 AM.
Old 08-29-20, 08:53 AM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
You can get a better deal on Shimano Acera on ebay right now. I just picked up a set of these for an upright handlebar bike:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-Ace...6f11468d9627fb
Old 08-29-20, 11:55 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
So does the 800 have a freewheel or a cassette? An entry-level 7-speed from that time might be either, and the catalog doesn't specify. That 8-speed Altus kit you're looking at is most likely a cassette, and if you have a freewheel, you'll need a different rear hub (or complete rear wheel).
Old 08-29-20, 01:58 PM
Aww

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Actually, the 7sp and 8sp have different freehub bodies, so you can't put 8sp cassette directly instead a 7sp one, as the 7sp one is narrower (same for the other way round, 7sp cassette needs spacer to fit onto 8sp hub). 8-10sp cassettes then have same hub body size.
It means, you would need a new rear wheel anyway. With the exception, if you had 7sp cassette hub, you could "only" change freehub bodies and put spacers to the axle, I don't recommend this, as it is quite some work, tools are needed and firstly new freehub bodies are pricy and more difficult to get, than a used rear wheel.
With the price of a new Altus, you would also need tools to put the stuff on your Antelope - you might have some of them, might not. For instance, change of crankset requires crank removal tool, then tools for removing of the old bottom bracket (as it is probably different length, than Altus crankset needs), and (probably) different tool to mount the new one. Anyway, it doesn't seem to me that you would be getting a lot of value in the Altus groupset, I personally wouldn't do that.