Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Co-op find

Old 08-11-20, 09:21 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,092 Times in 2,325 Posts
Co-op find

While I’ve found a lot of stuff at my local co-op, I’ve never found anything quite as cool as this...a 1950s Surre truing stand

Untitled by Stuart Black, on Flickr

The patent was filed in 1947 and issued in 1950. As I told a friend of mine, there is a high likelihood that the atoms of aluminum in this truing stand spend some time over parts of Europe. I have a rim that needs to be replaced so I decided to use it.

The stand wasn’t really made for quick release so I made some adaptations to hold the wheel down in the stand

In the process of swapping spokes

The stand isn’t a good as a Park and it could use a base but it seems to work. Tomorrow is the real test.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 08-11-20, 10:05 PM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 489 Times in 261 Posts
I've been using one of those along with a Campy dishing tool for about 30yrs now. I got a couple big cotter pins from Ace that slip into the QR axles and clamp down on them. I just clamp the base of the stand in a vice. Works just fine. I scribed some lines on the base at the setting for the four width hubs I use and just move the left side over to the appropriate mark for the wheel I'm truing. Sorta Tab A / Slot B stuff.

Last edited by Steel Charlie; 08-11-20 at 10:09 PM.
Old 08-12-20, 06:05 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
While I’ve found a lot of stuff at my local co-op, I’ve never found anything quite as cool as this...a 1950s Surre truing stand

The patent was filed in 1947 and issued in 1950. As I told a friend of mine, there is a high likelihood that the atoms of aluminum in this truing stand spend some time over parts of Europe. I have a rim that needs to be replaced so I decided to use it.

The stand wasn’t really made for quick release so I made some adaptations to hold the wheel down in the stand

In the process of swapping spokes

The stand isn’t a good as a Park and it could use a base but it seems to work. Tomorrow is the real test.
Just like the one I learned on at the Raleigh shop where I started in the early 70's. The bikes were on the first floor of an old colonial-era, four-storied hardware store. The repairs were done in the filthy, poorly-lit, and partially dirt-floor basement. We had one of these stands nailed to a bench with 3" framing nails. When the nails got loose and the truing stand was rocking too much, we'd just grab a hammer and pound them back in and get back to work.
Old 08-12-20, 07:01 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3780 Post(s)
Liked 3,283 Times in 2,145 Posts
-----

Now you need to locate a Surre nipple grip to go with it.

They look like aluminum wing nuts.

Tried to find an image of one just now without success. Perhaps another member...

-----
Old 08-12-20, 08:21 AM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 420 Posts
Super cool! There's definitely a market out there for vintage shop tools like that, I wouldn't doubt if it re-sold for as much as a TS-2 goes for new if you list it in the right place. Not sure if eBay would pull a number that high, but maybe the CABE forums would?

The one I found and re-sold is not quite as cool, way more pedestrian/utilitarian, it was probably from the late 80s. Had just minor surface rust and gunk that came right off. Re-solve to a C&V enthusiast north of ATL.

Old 08-12-20, 09:37 AM
canopus 

Bikes: Road, Touring, BMX, Cruisers...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 110 Posts
I saw one of the OP stands go up a little while ago on the 'bay.. I looked up the patent and it was fun reading that.

Originally Posted by francophile
The one I found and re-sold is not quite as cool, way more pedestrian/utilitarian, it was probably from the late 80s. Had just minor surface rust and gunk that came right off. Re-solve to a C&V enthusiast north of ATL.
Looks similar to a Minoura I sold long ago like in this thread.
1984 Trek 760
1981 Trek 710
Pics
Old 08-12-20, 10:07 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 654 Posts
I thought this may be a bike. This is so much better. I'm surprised that the coop even gave it up. Nice stand. I like the fact that it is cast aluminum. And has a way to hold the axle in place.

While the Park stand is the benchmark, I think that all you need is two sturdy legs to hold the wheel and a sturdy support for the rim indicators. Then you can either flip the wheel or use a dishing tool to be sure the rim is centered.

I have a Minoura truing stand and while I have built and trued many wheels on it, my next stand would be something like this or a Musson type.
Old 08-12-20, 10:20 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1554 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 845 Posts
The Minoura stand is better than it looks, I had one outside for years and still have one on the bench in the basement. They will even flex apart to accommodate modern thru-axle Boost hubs, just by sliding a long screwdriver through the big hollow axle.
Old 08-12-20, 10:21 AM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 420 Posts
Originally Posted by canopus
I saw one of the OP stands go up a little while ago on the 'bay.. I looked up the patent and it was fun reading that.
Looks similar to a Minoura I sold long ago like in this thread.
Yup. I see a similar mint Minoura folding stand recently sold on the 'bay here for ~$40 shipped.. Funny enough, must be worth a lot more on UK 'bay as seen here ~$50 close with 14 bids.

That said, I took time to look up the OP's Surre stand. It looks like two sold recently on eBay, one sold for best-offer on a BIN when listed at $150 + $20 ship, and the other auction closed with 1 bid at $129 + $30 ship.

I Bought my TS-2 a few years back on the 'bay from someone in Tampa for $139.70 shipped. It was in exceptional complete shape, too. Looked like it came out of a Play-it-Again Sports store that rarely, if ever, worked on wheels. I suspect the OP could get more for their Surre stand, but that's a really cool piece, the retrogrouch in me would keep it

Old 08-12-20, 10:31 AM
canopus 

I had used a Hozan stand for so long that I had a hard time working on my Minoura and discounted the Park because they didn't swivel side to side. Weird I know, but I have found I need that swivel to be comfortable with a stand. As soon as I saw an HKC come up on CL a decade ago I grabbed it and never looked back.
1984 Trek 760
1981 Trek 710
Pics

Last edited by canopus; 08-12-20 at 01:14 PM.
Old 08-12-20, 12:23 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 700 Posts
I love this... I came across a vintage truing stand that used to have its home in Westside Joe’s bike shop in Alameda, part of a tools lot. I have no idea who made it, but it’s a solid piece, and attractive at that.

Old 08-12-20, 01:17 PM
canopus 

Originally Posted by noobinsf
I love this... I came across a vintage truing stand that used to have its home in Westside Joe’s bike shop in Alameda, part of a tools lot. I have no idea who made it, but it’s a solid piece, and attractive at that.
That is attractive and really looks like it was made by a machinist or someone who dabbled in it... a lot.
1984 Trek 760
1981 Trek 710
Pics
Likes For canopus:
Old 08-12-20, 01:58 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts

Love the OPs stand and I love this one too. It looks "home" (shop?) made but well done.
Old 08-12-20, 02:49 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 926 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
That's a cool thought.

The war repurposed everything- only fair that life repurposed stuff from the war.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 08-13-20, 05:24 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
Here's an oldie for you, a Dudley.

Old 08-13-20, 09:34 PM
The_Joe

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

Now you need to locate a Surre nipple grip to go with it.

They look like aluminum wing nuts.

Tried to find an image of one just now without success. Perhaps another member...

-----
Something tells me "nipple grip" may not be the best subject to Google while on a work server.
Old 08-14-20, 06:13 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts

I used to call on a guy in Wallace NC who had a small shop and he built several of his own truing stands that resembled this one, each iteration with improvements on the previous version.

Regarding the OP's stand, back when I had a paper route I used to hang out in a little mower-and-bike shop and that was the house truing stand. I learned on one of those but thought it clumsy even then. The Park was a revelation when it arrived.