Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cycling with possible meniscal tear

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-12-20, 08:06 AM
Trobinson986

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi- I知 33- good shape, athletic and new to cycling. I went on a long ride with some experienced cyclists (50 miles) and over did it on my first ride. I had left medial knee pain at the end of the ride. Two months later the pain is still not improving. I can cycle and run etc. but after activity there is usually some pain and sometimes a little swelling.

I saw an orthopedic surgeon and he suspects a meniscal tear. He said he would let it be for the rest of the summer and see how it goes. If I continue having pain- I知 going to get an MRI to confirm diagnosis and then possible have a knee scope to repair the meniscus.

is anyone else dealing with a similar issue? All advice is welcomed. Thank you!
Old 08-12-20, 09:39 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 409 Posts
I had two tears in my RIGHT meniscus a few years ago. Got PRP injections, and the surgeon said the tears healed. But, I still had/have pain running. Cycling hasn't really caused much pain, however I hadn't been able to get up out of the saddle to climb and/or sprint...that did cause a bit of pain. However...I did finally get my first cortisone shot in the knee a couple weeks ago and of course the pain has subsided for now...and I have been able to pedal out of the saddle. All that being said...obviously your own tear could be different that my situation was and thereby cause some pain while cycling. And of course you did probably overdo it for your first ride. You should work your way up to 50 miles a bit more gradually.

Dan
Old 08-12-20, 10:25 AM
Lunny

Bikes: 2010 Scattante R670, 1998 Cannondale F2000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had arthroscopicsurgery to repair my left meniscus last summer. It was an outpatient procedure and I was on crutches for only one day afterwards. The injury was from HS football 22 years ago but the intermittent pain gradually became much worse. My doctor encouraged bike riding up until the day before surgery and as soon as I was able to walk unassisted afterwards. I have recovered pretty well and one year later the pain and stiffness are maybe 5% of what I experienced before the surgery. My only recommendation would be to take as much physical therapy as possible and don't skimp on the exercises they suggest.
Old 08-12-20, 10:39 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 413 Times in 246 Posts
[QUOTE=Trobinson986;21636820I saw an orthopedic surgeon and he suspects a meniscal tear. He said he would let it be for the rest of the summer and see how it goes. If I continue having pain- I知 going to get an MRI to confirm diagnosis and then possible have a knee scope to repair the meniscus.

is anyone else dealing with a similar issue? All advice is welcomed. Thank you![/QUOTE]

I'd primarily welcome the advice of the doctor who has seen the knee. If you need more advice get a second opinion from another MD. Don't take a chance on ruining your knee.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton