Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Blinking Lights During the Day on Roads and Streets

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Blinking Lights During the Day on Roads and Streets

Old 08-11-20, 11:10 AM
  #126  
wphamilton
Senior Member
 
wphamilton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Posts: 15,007

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2795 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker View Post
Your reading is still wrong. The improvement (above the threshold) is consistent (related to) with effective intensity.
LOL that was my point. The single line that you cherry-picked out of that entire study says specifically, and only, this.

I'm not bickering with you any longer.
wphamilton is offline  
Old 08-11-20, 12:27 PM
  #127  
njkayaker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 11,674
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2197 Post(s)
Liked 211 Times in 148 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton View Post
LOL that was my point. The single line that you cherry-picked out of that entire study says specifically, and only, this..
No, you misunderstood that paragraph and cherry-picked the part that worked for you and ignored the part that didn't.

It was a review (by the way), not a study.

You ignored all the places where the review indicates that flashing lights increase conspicuity.

Well above visual threshold, the detection of a signal light that is steady burning is improved over a flashing signal light (with a maximum intensity equal to that of the steady-burning signal), in a manner consistent with effective intensity [27]. When the intensity of a signal light is reduced such that it approaches the visual threshold, the relationship between steady-burning and flashing signals is reversed in opposition to effective intensity [27].
Below "well above", the relationship is reversed.

That is, what was a relationship "improved" "well above" is a relationship reversed from "improved" (degraded) below that.

The improvement above is consistent with the effective intensity.
The degradation (the reverse relationship) below is in opposition to the effective intensity.

https://www.imedpub.com/articles/avi...visibility.pdf

Even a small village is likely to have some lighting that will be maintained on throughout the nighttime period. Since the spatial configuration of such lights would be uncontrolled, the possibility of a chance arrangement similar to the corners of a runway cannot be eliminated. In such a case, both to improve conspicuity of signal lights and to differentiate them from other lights, the use of flashing patterns would appear to be beneficial.
So, the one source you cherry-picked from doesn't come to the conclusion you want.

Originally Posted by wphamilton View Post
Airports do use flashing lights for many things - and for many reasons, which are not the one reason that you claim they're for. That's one reason why your airport analogy is so silly.
The one article you linked to was talking about airports. It's your "airport analogy"! Why did you reference something "so silly"?

Last edited by njkayaker; 08-11-20 at 12:35 PM.
njkayaker is offline  
Old 08-11-20, 08:24 PM
  #128  
Litespud
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Chapel Hill NC
Posts: 822

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S, Nashbar 3sp commuter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 239 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood View Post

Keep in mind the bicycle fatality rate in German is a fraction of what it is in the US.
Since the vast majority of cyclist- and pedestrian fatalities involve motor vehicles, this likely reflects the fact that, unlike the US, Germany has stringent driving test requirements, resulting in German drivers knowing how to, ya know, drive. Unlike the US. Also better cycling/walking infrastructure. Note that pedestrian deaths in Germany are also a fraction of those in the US. Is that those pesky pedestrians wearing flashing lights?
Litespud is offline  
Old 08-12-20, 07:42 AM
  #129  
wingless
Senior Member
 
wingless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Florida
Posts: 310

Bikes: 2011 Trek 1.2 + 2016 Trek 1.1 H2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My daytime operation uses blinking front and rear lights, with the rear set to one blink per second. For night operation I add a constant rear light to aid the driver in distance perspective.

My motor vehicle operation leads me to conclude that daytime blinking lights result in better visibility of the bicycle operator.
wingless is offline  
Old 08-12-20, 11:05 AM
  #130  
Pop N Wood
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Maryland
Posts: 320

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor, 70's vintage Schwinn Continental and Suburban

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud View Post
Since the vast majority of cyclist- and pedestrian fatalities involve motor vehicles, this likely reflects the fact that, unlike the US, Germany has stringent driving test requirements, resulting in German drivers knowing how to, ya know, drive. Unlike the US. Also better cycling/walking infrastructure. Note that pedestrian deaths in Germany are also a fraction of those in the US. Is that those pesky pedestrians wearing flashing lights?
Certainly you already know the #1 killer of bicyclists in the US is SUV's and light trucks. You probably also know bicycle and pedestrian fatalities were going down in the US for years, but have been steadily increasing since the SUV craze took over in this country,

My guess is the higher roof lines of SUV's and light trucks make collisions with peds and bikes less survivable. But that is my conjecture.

So extrapolating to Germany, my guess is SUV's and in particular pickup trucks are a uniquely American phenomenon. Think maybe that has more to do with the varying fatality rate than flashing lights or more stringent driving test?

Honestly the only reason I brought up Germany was to show outlawing flashing lights won't lead to a massive slaughter of bicyclists.
Pop N Wood is offline  
Old 08-12-20, 11:59 AM
  #131  
njkayaker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 11,674
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2197 Post(s)
Liked 211 Times in 148 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood View Post
Honestly the only reason I brought up Germany was to show outlawing flashing lights won't lead to a massive slaughter of bicyclists.
Absolutely no one said that it would.

Having no lights doesn't "lead to a massive slaughter of bicyclists".

Since Germans don't routinely use lights during the day, what you brought up seems to have no useful point.

​​​​​​
njkayaker is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.