Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Snakes Alert!

Old 02-16-16, 11:39 AM
plaucc

Bikes: Giant Revolt, Specialized Diverge, Jamis Dragon 29, Giant XTC, Giant Defy 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Snakes Alert!

Occasionally I see snakes crossing my path on my local dirt road rides but I was surprised to come across one on city paved bicycle lane. It just suddenly dashed out of the side bushes and I couldn't avoid it except running the poor thing over. Eventually the snake survived and more lucky for me not to be bitten. My first instinct is to lift my feet high up to avoid any snake strike and had done it previously on dirt road. I had come across rattle snakes and some unidentified multi-colored snakes, which usually hides in the bushes and rocks that I am always cautious riding near it. Anyone experience such incidents?
Old 02-16-16, 11:45 AM
hatrack71
bentrider

Bikes: Trek R200, Bike Friday NWT, Radius Hornet 2, Cruzbike Sofrider, Vision R-40 BF/ R-42, Actionbent Litespeed/ Jetstream, Bacchetta Giro (20 and 26), Tern Verge P9, Ryan Vanguard, Burley Limbo, Rans Stratus/ Wave/ V-Rex, Dahon Helios, others...

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, a rattlesnake in the Blue Cloud area just west of town. I was coming down through the artillery range and one crossed the single track. It certainly scared the sh$t out of me because I was moving fast and couldn't react. I barely missed it thankfully. Haven't seen any more cycling. Just fishing along the banks of the Missouri. Seen many below Hauser dam.
Old 02-16-16, 12:31 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18326 Post(s)
Liked 15,307 Times in 7,234 Posts
I have seen more snakes than I can remember. South Dakota in June:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
19267613816_1acda608e0_z.jpg (99.1 KB, 207 views)
Old 02-16-16, 02:27 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
They ain't as succulent as I like and they're the devil to clean, but if a man skins 'em, fries 'em in garlic and oil, mercy! Them's good eatin'.

Old 02-16-16, 02:41 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Suddenly I'm not minding riding in the snow.
Old 02-17-16, 09:37 AM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Being in PA and riding in the woods along the river, I see a lot of snakes. Most are garter snakes and black snakes.

At the last moment riding in the fall in 2014 I saw the copperhead slithering through the leaves on the trail. I was way too late to avoid it and ran it over.
Old 02-17-16, 10:05 AM
Podagrower

Bikes: Giant Defy Composite, Spechialized Ruby (hers), Niner RLT9, Miyata 712, Condor ??

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
Pygmy rattlers, their grey blends in well with pavement, but their orange gives them away, fortunately most are already road kill, but that just speaks to how many there are in my area. Also found most of coral snake, which are pretty scarce. Now the 4' gator that ran in front of our double pace line on the bike path, or the bear I see regularly crossing the road without looking...I'll take the snakes.
Old 02-17-16, 10:12 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
Frickin' 90 degrees in February and these things are waking up too early.
Old 02-17-16, 10:14 AM
kevindsingleton 
Don't make me sing!

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Crosstrail Elite, 1986 Centurion Elite RS, Diamondback hardtail MTB, '70s Fuji Special Road Racer, 2012 Raleigh Revenio 2.0, 1992 Trek 1000

Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We saw a very large snake on the paved Great Allegheny Trail, outside Connellsville, a couple of years ago. Lots of people out, and a pretty warm day, and everyone just kept going, like it was a town pet that they all knew. Not sure what type of snakes live in PA, but this one was about five feet long, and thick-bodied, with dark gray to black scales.
Old 02-17-16, 10:17 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
Me as well.
Old 02-17-16, 10:45 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
Wonder what the snakes post on their forum, about bikes not willing to share the trails.
Old 02-17-16, 10:51 AM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Haven't run over any, but I have had two rattlers try to strike at me as I rode by. But I had judged the distance properly and neither came very close to getting me. Both incidents were on paved surfaces on a road bike.
Old 02-17-16, 10:59 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
Old 02-17-16, 11:23 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,783 Times in 2,207 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
Frickin' 90 degrees in February and these things are waking up too early.
Heard a report on TV, stating that large parts of the Southwest are experiencing an early rattlesnake season.
Old 02-17-16, 12:32 PM
SloButWide 
Heck on Wheels

Bikes: In Signature

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Just beware the dreaded snow snake, it's terrible when they drop on you!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
home-design.jpg (57.5 KB, 325 views)

Bikes so far: 2011 Felt Z85, 80's Raleigh Sovereign (USA), 91 Bianchi Peregrine, 91 Austro-Daimler Pathfinder, 90's Trek 730 Multitrack, STOLEN: 80 Schwinn Voyageur (Japan)

Old 02-17-16, 01:13 PM
kzin

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SloButWide
Just beware the dreaded snow snake, it's terrible when they drop on you!

Yeah, this is snow snake country, too.
They seem especially attracted to alcohol.

eta This being western ny.
location not in my sig
Old 02-17-16, 02:06 PM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 93 Posts
Snakes Alert!

We've got a lot of them snow snakes in northern sweden, but luckily the penguins hunt them
Old 02-17-16, 03:08 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
If you live in western PA the one you might have seen is the massasauga rattlesnake pictured here: Interesting Facts about the Massasauga It is dark in color and looks pretty sizable. The timber rattler lives in eastern PA. Many years ago I was on a hike with a bunch of kids in northern NJ near the Appalachian trail. The kids in the lead came across a timber rattler and quickly dispatched it much to the horror of the older guys who were following behind. Timber rattlers and copperhead snakes were both very common there. I never knew anyone who got bitten.

I came across quite a few rattlesnakes in the past few years while riding or hiking in Nevada and Utah. It gets the adrenaline pumping when you ride within a few feet of one and you are on a trike with the seat bottom 9" off the ground. It is surprising how many times these snakes could have bitten if they were all that aggressive. They are not unless you actually stumble on them or ride way too close. In one case a group of about 20 noisy kids hiked right past a rattlesnake coiled within striking distance of the path. It was just by accident that one of the kids spotted the snake and warned the rest. It didn't make any noise to warn us.

The one I would never mess with again is the hog nosed snake also native to PA. It is non-venomous. If you happen to come across one it may roll over and play dead. I picked one up and it really did a good job playing dead. After I put it back down and walked away, it slithered off into the brush. What I didn't know is that they occasionally bite. Even though they are classified as non poisonous some people who have been bitten end up in the hospital very ill.
Old 02-17-16, 03:46 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I've run over a copperhead here in Georgia. They come out just after sundown and sit in puddles osmoting water through their bellies.

I ran over a squirrel too, right down the middle between its front and rear legs. Tried to avoid it but the thing ran right in front of me and I couldn't help it. Rode a few miles to the store and on the way back it was gone. I think a hawk might have got it.

Heard a rattle snake in the bushes but never saw one. Saw a small bear, peacock several times, deer all over the place. Peacock are not native. They make a terrible racket.

Had a bull standing in the middle of the MUP once out near the Alabama border. A friend dismounted, walked towards it a few feet and said "Hey, can we pass?" and the bull just walked away into a field. This guy isn't known for his brains but it was hilarious.

Was on the MUP once and the Sheriff comes blasting up behind me on a quad racer and shouts, "There's a pig on the loose, have you seen anything?" I was like, "No, but some dogs were barking a ways back." and he was like, "Thanks" and took off back the way he came. This was right after I had moved to Georgia from New York. Seriously considered going back at that point.

Last edited by TimothyH; 02-17-16 at 03:49 PM.
Old 02-17-16, 03:48 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Snakes ... hah. There is a an MTB trail I rode in the past where a five- or six-foot gator sunned itself next to the trail. First time we met, I blasted past oblivious ... I stopped when I heard the very load splash, and sure enough, there it was floating just off shore, giving me the evil eye ... or maybe just floating there letting me imagine stuff.

Next time I rode there, I stopped right around where I had seen it the first time, and there it was, not a foot off the trail, sunning itself. I tried to sneak past by going way off the trail on the other side, but as i was passing, maybe eight feet away, it bolted into the water.

No idea what would have happened had I hit the thing. Likely it would have dove into the water ... and what would have happened if I fell in after it?

Snakes, gators .... most wildlife won't mess with humans unless the humans do very stupid, deliberately aggressive things. Like the rattler which didn't warn the troop of scouts---likely it didn't rattle because it was assuming a defensive posture just in case, but preferred to let the loud bunch of humans clear out to leave the snake in peace.

Does kind of annoy me that the snakes and gators don't have to pay trail-maintenance fees, though. That gator dug a big old trough to enter and leave the water.
Old 02-17-16, 04:42 PM
Gnosis

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While riding my bike, I’ve encountered quite a few good sized snakes crossing the Schuylkill River Trail (SRT) which runs beside the river for many miles. I’ve always managed to steer around them even though some of them have moved surprisingly fast.
Old 02-17-16, 07:18 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Snakes ... hah. There is a an MTB trail I rode in the past where a five- or six-foot gator sunned itself next to the trail. First time we met, I blasted past oblivious ... I stopped when I heard the very load splash, and sure enough, there it was floating just off shore, giving me the evil eye ... or maybe just floating there letting me imagine stuff.

Next time I rode there, I stopped right around where I had seen it the first time, and there it was, not a foot off the trail, sunning itself. I tried to sneak past by going way off the trail on the other side, but as i was passing, maybe eight feet away, it bolted into the water.

No idea what would have happened had I hit the thing. Likely it would have dove into the water ... and what would have happened if I fell in after it?

Snakes, gators .... most wildlife won't mess with humans unless the humans do very stupid, deliberately aggressive things. Like the rattler which didn't warn the troop of scouts---likely it didn't rattle because it was assuming a defensive posture just in case, but preferred to let the loud bunch of humans clear out to leave the snake in peace.

Does kind of annoy me that the snakes and gators don't have to pay trail-maintenance fees, though. That gator dug a big old trough to enter and leave the water.
Yikes! You win the thread.
Old 02-17-16, 09:56 PM
Crewchief911

Bikes: Cannondale SR400

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
West Texas is thick with rattlesnakes.There is a big rattlesnake roundup event in Abilene every year. Where i lived there was a creek bed behind the house, and I have run across many when using the riding mower. I was riding on a service road and came across a 6 footer right in the middle of the road. I thought it was dead at first but it was just sunning itself. I weighed my options, and decided discretion was the better part of valor, crossed the highway and took the service road on that side. Oh, and there is nothing more fun than finding a shed rattler skin on the floor of your laundry room...
Old 02-17-16, 11:24 PM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by Crewchief911
Oh, and there is nothing more fun than finding a shed rattler skin on the floor of your laundry room...
reading about you finding it is Vastly more fun, I assure you ....
Old 02-18-16, 12:51 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
I've found live cottonmouths/water moccasins hiding indoors under furniture a few times in Texas over the years. Usually only the small ones. My grandparents' home was on a lake front so it wasn't unusual. I've often fished in the evening on lake shores with water moccasins slithering around my feet. I wear boots but don't worry about 'em. They're just curious and lose interest when they realize you're too big to eat.

I might be more cautious around rattlers in warm weather. In cool weather they're lethargic, and it's not unusual to see them sunning on pavement or open trails trying to warm up. In very hot weather they're somewhat less active to conserve energy, usually holed up somewhere cool. But they're not normally aggressive for no reason, since it wastes precious energy. If you're more than striking distance away they usually won't bother you and will look for an escape route.

Of all the critters I encounter on my rural rides, I'm more wary of small animals like squirrels, possums and skunks skittering across my path early/late in the day. I've had a few near misses with squirrels and skunks. And deer are common along a couple of routes, with carcasses along the roadside from vehicle strikes. But a few roaming dogs have been more annoying -- although most folks along my rural rides keep theirs fenced, use "invisible fences", or on leashes when out walking.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.