Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

What makes you (want to) grab the ebike?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-17, 12:33 PM
Bikewolf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts

Imagine you’re so lucky to have one regular ‘classic’ bike, and an ebike at your disposal. You them both :-)

Now... You wake up, and begin the ritual of choosing your bike for commuting.

What makes you grab the ebike today?

Is it a particular type of weather that makes you pick the ebike? Or, perhaps it’s about how you feel that morning? Random choice? ...
Old 04-27-17, 12:44 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
I have a very nice lugged steel regular bike and two ebikes. I always pick an ebike.
Old 04-27-17, 01:06 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
I've only one bike, my Bike Friday, but I swap out the front wheel when I want motor power. Since I ride for exercise and transport, I only put the hub motor on when I know I am going to be climbing hills on my route. My knee no longer quietly revolves as I pedal - it b1tches and moans when I have more than a "rolling" hill. I've also been known to pop the motor on when I make a big Costco run on the bike; 50 pounds of groceries in a headwind just sucks. Other than that, I ride with the regular wheel. I actually can go faster than the motor when I ride unencumbered.
Old 04-27-17, 01:18 PM
allan6344

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Ebike for the commute. Road bike for the weekend rides. When I was just commuting on the road bike I was not motivated to ride on the weekends.
Likes For allan6344:
Old 04-27-17, 01:37 PM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
What most here are saying, for commuting. As far as weather, heavy wind. That is why I got the e-bike in the first place. I was commuting in heavy wind and was about to give up and get a car. I decided to get an e-bike instead.
Likes For Robert C:
Old 04-27-17, 01:55 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
To be more specific about my riding, both ebikes are pedelec mid-drives. My folding bike from Luna Cycles is light enough to pedal without assist, so I vary between several levels from 0 to 5, with occasional jabs at the throttle. This gets me through nice recreational​ rides in my very hilly neighborhood​ with a decent aerobic workout, but I don't have to do the really tough climbs unassisted if I don't feel like it. I ride a lot more now that I have these options.
Old 04-27-17, 02:56 PM
slomoshun

Bikes: Treks and a Moulton

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
HILLS. If I have to ride a lot of hills, electric power-assist rules.

If there is time to ride around the hills, or there is a MUP, I prefer a lighter weight standard bike. Except for hills, pedaling everywhere is easier than walking.
Old 04-27-17, 04:54 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
I only have the one bicycle, but the reason I use the E-assist is for hills and fun... I usually ride my bike without assist on flat ground or when the wind is at my back, even pedal DOWN hills to use max re-gen, but use level 1 assist going into the wind and or when I want to go faster...
Old 04-27-17, 07:54 PM

Bikes: 16 Haibike Sdruo Cross SM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I only have one bike my ebike. I like not having to sweat, change to bike clothes. Its great to ride in jeans and not sweat at all.
Likes For 2702:
Old 04-27-17, 09:22 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
E-bike for transportation when time, destination, and load dictate my choices.

Regular bike for recreation when I'm free to choose according to mood, and desire.
Likes For kickstart:
Old 04-28-17, 07:45 AM
dozen_bullets

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
It's fun!
Likes For dozen_bullets:
Old 04-28-17, 08:47 AM
northtexas

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have a 23 LB Trek FX and a 50 LB ebike so I usually choose my Trek because it's so much easier to load in the back of my SUV and only ride the ebike when winds are 25+ mph.
Old 04-28-17, 10:00 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
My utility e-bike happens to be my most comfortable bike. It's steel frame and set up to be upright riding, with Dutch-inspired features like a double kickstand and steering stabilizer spring. My other bikes are an aluminum/carbon road bike set up for commuting, and an aluminum 90's MTB converted to all rigid.

I initially started commuting 2 days a week on the road bike, and then used the utility bike on weekends for grocery runs or just tooling around town to the bike shop, relatives' houses, pulling kid, etc. I physically can't handle more than 2 days a week commuting 31 hilly miles round trip on the road bike, so by converting the utility bike to e-assist, I can now supplement my road bike commuting with the e-bike, and also do grocery runs and pull my son much easier than before. Basically I can now use my car even less than before, which was one of my goals for doing the e-bike conversion.
Old 04-29-17, 11:26 AM
NoPhart

Bikes: As my watts decline, I’m amping up!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Escape, adventure, and simply getting out of the house; out from in front of a TV or digital screen of any kind. The desire to experience real life and nature as it is meant to be experienced. Get the blood flowing...
Likes For NoPhart:
Old 04-29-17, 11:47 AM
Bikewolf

Some of you guys also grab your ebike in winter?
Old 05-01-17, 07:35 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Originally Posted by Bikewolf
I probably will, if my battery can handle the round trip to work. When it's below freezing my toes start to feel frozen after about 45 minutes, so the faster I can get to work the better.
Old 05-01-17, 08:07 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikewolf
I kid you not, yesterday is was snowing and the wind speed at a steady 44mph with sustained gusts to 59mph. I had to go to the office. Yes, I rode my e-bike.
Likes For Robert C:
Old 05-01-17, 08:52 AM
NoPhart

Bikes: As my watts decline, I’m amping up!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My daily driver got rear ended recently on the freeway. The E-bike is now my "go to" commuter for anything that doesn't require passengers or hauling stuff like groceries or Home Depot runs. The insurance company has agreed to pay me the $25 per day that would normally go to a rental car company too.

I mentioned this once before, but stating it again here seems appropriate. When I take my car in for service, I put my E-bike on the rack and ride it home. Once the work is completed, I ride the E-bike back to the repair shop to pick up the car. Saves time and doesn't require shuttle service or having to rely on others.

An E-bike is a great addition to your transportation stable if you have a rack!
Old 05-01-17, 09:10 AM
digbyblack

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by allan6344
Ebike for the commute. Road bike for the weekend rides. When I was just commuting on the road bike I was not motivated to ride on the weekends.
Yep, same this exactly. I've got a 25min ride to the station in the mornings, quite hilly as well. It just makes everything easier, especially after a long day when I'm knacked or gone to pub straight after clock-off.
Old 05-01-17, 09:24 AM
Bikewolf

Originally Posted by Robert C
I kid you not, yesterday is was snowing and the wind speed at a steady 44mph with sustained gusts to 59mph. I had to go to the office. Yes, I rode my e-bike.
You’ve just won the Bikewolf badge of courage :-)

I hope your ebike didn’t suffer too much as well.

Last edited by Bikewolf; 05-01-17 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05-01-17, 09:50 AM
PatrickGSR94

Originally Posted by NoPhart
My daily driver got rear ended recently on the freeway. The E-bike is now my "go to" commuter for anything that doesn't require passengers or hauling stuff like groceries or Home Depot runs. The insurance company has agreed to pay me the $25 per day that would normally go to a rental car company too.

I mentioned this once before, but stating it again here seems appropriate. When I take my car in for service, I put my E-bike on the rack and ride it home. Once the work is completed, I ride the E-bike back to the repair shop to pick up the car. Saves time and doesn't require shuttle service or having to rely on others.

An E-bike is a great addition to your transportation stable if you have a rack!
I almost always do everything on our cars myself. But I can't mount/balance tires or do alignments. So I took my wife's car to get new tires and alignment last Fall on a Saturday morning and took my gravel bike with me. It was raining, but when there was a break in the rain I just got out and rode around, stopped by Sonic for some breakfast, and then came back when they were done with the car. So much better than waiting around in the Firestone waiting room!
Old 05-02-17, 10:03 AM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Rain and/or cold. It's a matter of hauling clothes - rain gear, layers, extra socks, extra gloves.
Old 03-03-20, 01:16 AM
spinnanz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 59 Posts
I don't need to choose. My classic IS my ebike
Old 03-03-20, 10:27 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
My analog bike converts in 10 seconds to my e-bike, so I guess the question for me is when do I do that? I'll pop the motor/battery on if I am planning a very long ride (2 hours+), or heavy headwinds are projected, or there are big hills in my ride - that is for recreational/pleasure rides. I ride with the system paused on flats unless winds are bad or there's big hills. Since my bike is also my car, I also pop the motor on if I am running errands under time constraints, and when using my trailer for big Costco loads. But I ride analog if the ride is under 90 minutes and for recreation/exercise. The nice thing about my system is it weighs 4.5lbs so I can have it on the bike turned OFF, with absolutely zero drag (friction drive off the tire), and challenge myself as much as I want, all the time knowing I have a fail-safe if and when I need it. A good example of that was one day when I was out riding analog and enjoying the weather; I got a call on my cell about a family emergency and needed to get home FAST! I was able to turn on the motor and reduce the ride home by 20 minutes, where every minute counted. I love the flexibility because it means there are no excuses ever for not taking my bike and reconsidering having a car.

Last edited by linberl; 03-03-20 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-17-20, 04:34 PM
Bluesfrog

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 18 Posts
I grab the ebike due to storage problems. She-who-must-be-obeyed says I take up too much room with my stuff. My other commuter, 10+ years old with over 6,000 miles on it, sits downstairs by the furnace. A Trek 520, it has gone through two bottom brackets and innumerable tires. It still has studs on it. If I need it I can thread it up some stairs and go. Maybe if the battery is down on the Verve. But in my little berg for Spring and early Summer the trip to the prison has a headwind from the North in the AM and from the South in the PM. I decided as a semiretired worker I would use the assistance on a low level. But when I'm tired in the evening and there's a bit if traffic I like the Turbo setting. I usually turn it down upon getting on a side street. I guess I won't be in quite as good shape that way but it makes me feel like still working. That pays for my old retired guy's health insurance. Be Well, Bluesfrog.

Last edited by Bluesfrog; 03-17-20 at 04:41 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.