Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Touring in Texas:

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Touring in Texas:

Old 07-10-18, 11:36 PM
italcyclist

Bikes: A vintage road bicycle, and hybrid and a mtb.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Touring in Texas:

Has anyone ever ridden from north Texas to the New Braunfels area in the Texas Hill Country?
I am looking for a good route to the above-mentioned area. I’d like to avoid road that are paved with chipseal, if possible.
i am reaching out because several of the online map sites don’t appear to be a good resource.
i look forward to hearing from an informed soul.
Robert D.
Old 07-11-18, 04:42 AM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 171 Posts
I've cycled from Austin to Dallas several times and from Austin to San Antonio multiple times.

My routes between Austin and Dallas generally end up following US 281. It is somewhat busy on US 67 out of DFW, but not sure where in North Texas you are coming from. After that 281 is typically reasonable as far as shoulders/traffic goes.

On the southern end, I wouldn't come via Austin, but instead take smaller routes via Blanco and Wimberley.
Old 07-11-18, 12:44 PM
John N

Bikes: Co-Motion Americano Pinion P18; Co-Motion Americano Rohloff; Thorn Nomad MkII, Robert Beckman Skakkit (FOR SALE), Santana Tandem, ICE Adventure FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by italcyclist
I’d like to avoid road that are paved with chipseal, if possible.

Almost all lower (not even low) traffic roads use chipseal in Texas so it is unlikely you will find a route without lots of chipseal.. Chipseal is just a part of life in Texas. The lower the traffic count is, the more likely the road surface is chipseal.

Sorry, but wish you a nice ride other than the chipseal. John

Last edited by John N; 07-11-18 at 12:45 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-11-18, 03:18 PM
pesty
Master Sarcaster

Bikes: 2018 Allez Sprint, 2016 Trek Crockett Canti

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Echoing what others have said... low traffic roads, good luck finding anything that isn't chip'n'seal once you get outside the suburbs. South from Dallas, you might get as far as Mansfield or Midlothian, but really anything more than 5-10 miles south of I-20 has a high chance of the stuff.

Best thing to do about Chip'n'seal is bigger tires. Personal experience, if you can fit 28-30mm tires in your frame and run tubeless it cuts down the buzz a lot. I run 25's tubeless at 75-80psi on my Allez Sprint (a notably stiff frame) and it's more comfortable than any tubed tire I ever used on a carbon road frame, and fairly tolerable. My aluminum CX bike has 33's at 50psi and that makes the stuff feel like the buzz from a cell phone.