Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Campagnolo 12 speed for CX in 1x ??

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-19, 12:55 AM
agentmulder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hopefully I can keep this short and on topic(s).

I’m quite keen on a Canyon Inflite CX bike as my first purchase of a modern/carbon frame - the way I figure it:

- I’ll have a kick arse CX bike out of the box
- It can take 38mm tyres so a bit of gravel/bikepacking is possible also
- it can also take 25mm tyres and do well on the road

I’m happy to invest deeply in to a CX frame and deal with the compromises for road and gravel, but first I’m interested to make sure some assumptions regarding the gearing are both technically feasible and good ideas regardless.

The Canyon Inflite comes with 1x SRAM Force with a 11-36 cassette and 40t chainring, the ratio spans 1.1~3.6 over 11 gears, which from this point on I assume is a good CX range.

For road, which I’m coming from, I’m used to riding 80s/90s 8-speed with a 12~25 cassette and 53/39t. This equates to a range of 1.6~4.4 across maybe 12 gears once the overlap is accounted for... (<< keep in mind that my forthcoming logic pivots around this point).

With a 46t chainring (max available for SRAM Force 1x) (and a longer chain) the range increases to 1.3~4.2, which is pretty close (I’m not often in 16th gear anyway). Sounds like a solution in terms of SRAM Force..

Ah but, I quite like the look of modern Campagnolo and the new(ish) mechanical 12speed Record!

My question: Could the new Campnolo Record 12sp be set up 1x?

… With a 11-32 cassette and a 50t chainring I’d get a range of 1.6~4.5 (over 12 speeds) for road, and with a 39t chain ring, a range of 1.2~3.5, or alternatively with a 36t chainring a range of 1.1~3.3 (over 12 speeds) for CX/gravel.

I wonder however, can the Campagnolo 12speed cranks be set up just take the smaller inner ring? And if so does it maintain a good central chainline so I can use the full cassette? (also, what about chain retainers like those used on the SRAM force equipped Inflites, I assume they’ll play nicely? Or will the thinner chain and sizes not work out?).

Also the same question, but regarding ‘road mode’ would the 50t chainring work well with the inner removed?

I quite like the look of the power meter ready Quarq cranks that come standard on some of the Inflite models, can they take the campag 12 speed chainrings?

Either way, would the 12speed record gear be recommended for CX anyway (2x or 1x)?

I understand that it’s meant to be 2x, but coming from 8-speed I think I’m actually going to experience relatively more refinement in terms of ratios, even in a 1x setup (ha!)

Hope I’m making sense?

Last edited by agentmulder; 04-18-19 at 02:21 AM.
Old 04-18-19, 05:55 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
The fly in the ointment...is that Campagnolo has been using a bizarro BCD for their cranks for years...and AFAIK, no one makes rings for it other than Big C--even 2x replacement rings. Post 2015, 4-arm cranks, were 146BCD outer rings and 112mm BCD inners . Campagnolo hasn't published tech docs on the 12s stuff AFAIK, but I'm guessing it is a similar bizarro BCD.

AFAIK not even WolfTooth, makers of everything for 1X, doesn't make 1x rings for Campagnolo BCD.
Old 04-18-19, 06:32 AM
agentmulder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hrrrm, good to rule that out, pity though!

But using the Campagnolo 12 speed cranks but removing the respective chainrings isn't workable? I'm guessing it might look silly, but perhaps the bolt and nut design could be made to work with some adaptations/spacers/thingies (got lathe, got mill...)

Or is there something else that makes this a non-starter?

I'm coming from 8-speed 7402 era, so I may have missed some drivetrain developments since then
Old 04-18-19, 07:43 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Without a clutched rear derailleur and no narrowwide chairing options youd be hard pressed to get something reliable enough for racing. You'd have to leave the FD on or use a chain guide and it still wouldnt stop chain drops off the bottom of the chairing.
Old 04-18-19, 09:03 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by agentmulder
bikepacking is possible

11-36 cassette and 40t

With a 46t chainring

With a 11-32 cassette and a 50t chainring
If you expect to encounter hills then none of this is low enough for bikepacking with a significant load.

40 front x 36 rear is 30.5 gear inches. Compare this to those who tour with loaded panniers and run gearing in the teens. Bikepackers are a little lighter than rack/pannier touring and what you describe may work for a light overnight bikepacking trip in flat areas or if you go super ultralight - tarp, no cooking, etc.

My low gear is 30 front x 42 rear which works out to 19.5 inches. I wish it was a little lower for the mountains when traveling with bikepacking bags, tent, pad, sleeping bag and food for several days. 25 lb bikepacking gear weight is not uncommon.

Of course, you could be stronger than I give you credit for. Most will want significantly lower gearing for bikepacking however.

-Tim-
Old 07-31-20, 06:55 AM
DannyL

Bikes: Ridley Orion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For future readers of these posts I had successfully paired an older Athena crankset with an Absolute Black 1x chainring and had ZERO chain drop issues. I know a smooth road is very different from gravel roads but if your heart is set on it it might be worth exploring.
Old 08-01-20, 02:56 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
flank that 1 chainring with 2 disc cyclocross chain guards is the way It has been done, back when 6 speeds was enough..
Low gear in cyclocross is shoulder the bike and run..

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-01-20 at 03:07 PM.
Old 08-01-20, 03:12 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts