Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Where to start? Yuba vs Surly... of course :)

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-19, 10:11 AM
pikman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,

I currently tow our kids to school in a trailer and plan to move to a longtail as the eldest is 6 (youngest is 3)
I am totally stuck between a Yuba Mundo Lux and a Surly Big Dummy.

We are in Europe.
I found a 2nd hand BD (2016) and it would work out the same price as a new Mundo.
The problem is finding parts here. Yuba seem to have done a good job of going global and everything is readily available. Surly is a little confusing with the Xtracycle stuff.
Downside is that the Yuba is heavier and seems less of a bike :/

Any ideas/help are welcome!

Thanks
Old 11-22-19, 06:13 AM
tim24k

Bikes: To many to list. I like them all!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
I like the Surly Big Dummy a lot. To start with the frame the hart of the bike is made from better quality Chromoly Steel not the cheaper Hi-Tensile steel, making it lighter and stronger. The spec on the components are also higher end as well. I don’t know about parts and accessories availability in the UK but here across the pond they are everywhere.