Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Electra 3 speed coaster brake help

Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Old 03-28-20, 05:23 PM
Klpieps

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have an older Electra beach cruiser 3 speed (not 3i) with only a coaster brake. The problem is that the coaster brake only engages about 50% of the time. I am trying to find a replacement coaster brake and hub but have no clue what a good option is (would rather get new hub and brake than try to fix). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-29-20, 05:57 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 612 Posts
Shimano Nexus, which I have on a cruiser, is a good cost/performance option. If you can build the wheel or have an LBS with a competent builder, hubs are available (unless your shift system is compatible, you'll need that too). Others may have experience with more proficient products, but the Nexus has worked well for me.
Old 06-11-20, 01:55 PM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 72 Posts
When the coaster brake does not engage it is probably full of old hardened grease. I just cleaned an over 30 year old 3 speed Sachs hub and repacked it with fresh grease. Works like a charm again.