Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tubeless or not?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Tubeless or not?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-20, 10:10 AM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Another problem with tubeless - sometimes the step is too high and the tubeless tires will not seal against it tightly enough to allow enough pressure to force it up. Rather than a tire pump pressure chamber such as is shown in many of the videos I use a CO2 cartridge which normally works of you push the tire bead out as tightly against the step as much as possible on both sides. But if the step is really too high it will pull off of the step and fall back into the spoke well when you release the pressure to install the sealant through the filler valve.

Here is an article that really describes the problems pretty well https://road.cc/content/tech-news/25...hy-matters-you
Likes For RiceAWay:
Old 04-16-20, 11:38 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
I'm 5000 miles or so (put them on after the road season ended last fall) into my first experiment with road tubeless. My Q&D observations:
1) They aren't a panacea. Many things that give you flats with tubes also flat your tubeless. Sidewall tears, potholes with jagged edges, etc, will cause you to flat.
2) I haven't found the hassle of a roadside repair THAT big a deal. There is some mess from sealant. Don't change tires in your living room. YMMV
3) They have gotten me home on with small punctures or tears that would have put me on the side of the road with tubes.
4) If you race (I do), there is a growing consensus that tubeless is faster than either latex tubes or tubular. If you race and are always on the hunt for marginal gains, this is a big deal.
5) Wheel and tire manufacturers are making huge strides in reliability and fit. Road tubeless today is better than road tubeless a couple of years ago.
Crux of the matter is that for me, I'm running tubeless on both training and racing wheelset, and plan to at least through the rest of this year. I fully expect to continue to use tubeless in the future.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Last edited by bbbean; 04-21-20 at 11:17 AM.
Likes For bbbean:
Old 04-17-20, 09:28 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Since this is turning in to a repository or tubeless successes and failures, tips and tricks...

I just ordered this from Amazon for 12 bucks -

I was actually just looking for a decent core removal tool, but this popped up for a very reasonable price. I've been wanting to try the syringe/tube setups. I have no problems checking levels and topping off, as is, but I'm hoping that this will also aid in removal of sealant that's gone bad. In theory, I won't have to break the bead to mop it up with paper towels - I should be able to insert the thinner tube through the stem and in to the tire and then suction it out.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 04-17-20, 11:18 AM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Since this is turning in to a repository or tubeless successes and failures, tips and tricks...

I was actually just looking for a decent core removal tool, but this popped up for a very reasonable price. I've been wanting to try the syringe/tube setups. I have no problems checking levels and topping off, as is, but I'm hoping that this will also aid in removal of sealant that's gone bad. In theory, I won't have to break the bead to mop it up with paper towels - I should be able to insert the thinner tube through the stem and in to the tire and then suction it out.
That set up works awesome until something inevitably gets stuck in the thin hose. Then, the attachment blasts off and sends sealant all over your shop. Ask me how I know . I now use the syringe without any of the hose threaded on to inject sealant. The end of it is perfect to cover a presta valve and there is no risk of it exploding sealant everywhere. I only use the hose to remove sealant before I break down a wheel.
Likes For Pizzaiolo Americano:
Old 04-17-20, 12:02 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by yarbrough462
That set up works awesome until something inevitably gets stuck in the thin hose. Then, the attachment blasts off and sends sealant all over your shop. Ask me how I know . I now use the syringe without any of the hose threaded on to inject sealant. The end of it is perfect to cover a presta valve and there is no risk of it exploding sealant everywhere. I only use the hose to remove sealant before I break down a wheel.
Noted - I'll tread carefully. The small bottle of Orange Seal comes with a flexible tube that goes over the valve stem and has the same potential to make a mess if you ignore an increase in resistance and squeeze harder than you should. Ask me how I know.
Old 04-19-20, 11:50 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
My first set of tubeless tires were 25mm and I ran them at ~100psi. They took a couple of nasty punctures (one was a double puncture from a big construction staple that I had to pry out with a key) but sealed permanently and had no issues being run at the same pressure afterward. My sample size at that pressure is just that one set of tires, though - I moved to 28/30mm after that. I don't know if tire construction difference would affect sealing ability at that pressure, but these were pretty racy tires (Gavia SLRs, ~250g and $100/ea at the time) so I wouldn't imagine that it could get much worse. The sealant was, as always for me, Orange Seal.

Since then, the highest pressure that I've regularly run at is 80psi, but no problems with that, either, though.
Have you tried the Schwalbe Pro One TLE Addix-Race Evo yet? It's time to buy some more tires, and I'm not sure which ones to go with.
Old 04-19-20, 12:28 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Have you tried the Schwalbe Pro One TLE Addix-Race Evo yet? It's time to buy some more tires, and I'm not sure which ones to go with.
Specialized Rapid Airs. I've not had great luck with the older Pro Ones (maybe the new ones have less fragile sidewalls), but the ride quality of the Rapid Airs is divine. Smooth AF, and fast AF. They are the reason i am looking at tubeless one more time.

I have the 26mms, which measure 27.x on a 21mm ID Roval rim. Running the at 80psi (i know, i know... i should make it less - old roadie habits die hard).
Old 04-19-20, 12:46 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by guadzilla
Specialized Rapid Airs. I've not had great luck with the older Pro Ones (maybe the new ones have less fragile sidewalls), but the ride quality of the Rapid Airs is divine. Smooth AF, and fast AF. They are the reason i am looking at tubeless one more time.

I have the 26mms, which measure 27.x on a 21mm ID Roval rim. Running the at 80psi (i know, i know... i should make it less - old roadie habits die hard).
From the little I've read, users are saying they are more durable than the previous version. They are also available for about $35 each at Merlin.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 04-19-20, 01:21 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
From the little I've read, users are saying they are more durable than the previous version. They are also available for about $35 each at Merlin.
At that price, i'm gonna order a couple as well. Fool me thrice, let's see what happens
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 04-19-20, 01:43 PM
WhyFi

Not yet - roads still haven't been swept here and there's a lot of debris. Hopefully soon.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 04-19-20, 02:19 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by guadzilla
At that price, i'm gonna order a couple as well. Fool me thrice, let's see what happens
order 3. 2 rear/1 front, and you’ll have a spare in case something happens.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 04-19-20, 02:24 PM
WhyFi

order 3. 2 rear/1 front, and you’ll have a spare in case something happens.
Three gets you in to free shipping, too; I'm not sure if two quite gets you there.
Old 04-19-20, 03:21 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
Three gets you in to free shipping, too; I'm not sure if two quite gets you there.
I think their free shipping it the USA is now only above $125 orders due to COVID-19 and the disruption it has caused with the carriers.
Old 04-19-20, 04:31 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by August West
I think their free shipping it the USA is now only above $125 orders due to COVID-19 and the disruption it has caused with the carriers.
Bummer.

Looks like it would be $10 shipping to MN, so three would be $120 or $40/ea - still pretty darn good.
Old 04-20-20, 11:49 AM
tonymarch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
When I bought my Madone 5+ years ago, I opted for Shimano tubeless rims with Bontrager tubeless tires (I think Hutchinson actually manufactured them). I didn't have much trouble mounting the tires. But I could never get the tires to seat. I tried most of the tricks mentioned above with no success. I don't own a compressor, so I bought a special pump that's supposed to deliver a large rush of air to seat the bead. That that didn't help. Switched to Hutchinson-branded tires - same result. I would have to go to my LBS and have them mount the tubes with their compressor. Even then, they would have to use a port closest to the compressor itself or the beads wouldn't seat, I guess due to the pressure drop in the satellite ports. Based on the above, are the Shimano wheels the culprit? Sounds like most people with Mavic rims don't seem to have the issues I had. I still ride the wheels, but I run them with tubes. Wouldn't mind going back to tubeless if I could mount the damn tires. Thoughts/suggestions?
Old 04-20-20, 12:07 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by tonymarch
When I bought my Madone 5+ years ago, I opted for Shimano tubeless rims with Bontrager tubeless tires (I think Hutchinson actually manufactured them). I didn't have much trouble mounting the tires. But I could never get the tires to seat. I tried most of the tricks mentioned above with no success. I don't own a compressor, so I bought a special pump that's supposed to deliver a large rush of air to seat the bead. That that didn't help. Switched to Hutchinson-branded tires - same result. I would have to go to my LBS and have them mount the tubes with their compressor. Even then, they would have to use a port closest to the compressor itself or the beads wouldn't seat, I guess due to the pressure drop in the satellite ports. Based on the above, are the Shimano wheels the culprit? Sounds like most people with Mavic rims don't seem to have the issues I had. I still ride the wheels, but I run them with tubes. Wouldn't mind going back to tubeless if I could mount the damn tires. Thoughts/suggestions?
Some flash chargers are better than others. I have one from Specialized and it's... so-so, at best. For the best chances of success, you need to be able to deliver a large volume of air very quickly, and the Specialized doesn't excel at that. As my technique has improved, I've gotten better results with it, but I still occasionally run in to a tire that doesn't want to pop. At that point, I'll put a Schrader adapter on to it and visit a local auto shop that has the best publicly available air hose in town - it has never failed to seat one of my tires within the first two tries.

FWIW, I've been running Hutchinson tires recently (Fusion 5 Performance 11 Storm) and they've gone on and seated with such ease that I've been a little disappointed - one of those deals where you're looking forward to a fight and you don't get one.

Anyway, a good compressor is probably your best bet, moving forward. If that doesn't appeal to you for whatever reason, and it really doesn't appeal to me, then look at some of the better pumps/flash chargers out there - the one from Bontrager/Trek gets a lot of love, and that's probably what will replace my Specialized when I've finally had enough with it.
Old 04-20-20, 02:01 PM
bikeforum142

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lots of pinch flats? Weight, tire pressure, road condition?
Old 04-20-20, 02:32 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
The problem with tubeless is no single standard for the tires and rims. ERTO standard and UST are not the same.

As for those hefty wheels you posted, what makes you think the spokes have equal tension? With the rear wheel, the spoke tension can be more equal if the 2:1 lacing, like fulcrum uses, or the Campy's G3 lacing is used.
Old 04-20-20, 04:02 PM
wle

Bikes: road: 1999 GT road:40Kmi+ // 2001 fuji finest AL:9Kmi+//1991 schwinn paramount ODG:0.1Kmi+

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
no way tubulars!
for what?
to go .2 mph faster?
why>?
so you can get home 25 seconds sooner?
what are you going to do with the extra time?
you will certainly waste 100 times as much, ******** with the tubular cr*p!

wle
Old 04-20-20, 04:08 PM
WhyFi

Just received this so I thought I'd try it out. The hard plastic insertion tube is about 0.2mm too big to get all the way through my valve stems. Worse, from the little dribble that did come out of the tire, I can tell that it's time to remove and replace the sealant in the front tire.

Since I'll have to break the bead anyway, I guess I'll go to the LBS and pick up some valves that'll pass the tube and get them installed at the same time.
Old 04-21-20, 09:23 AM
WhyFi

Just received this so I thought I'd try it out. The hard plastic insertion tube is about 0.2mm too big to get all the way through my valve stems. Worse, from the little dribble that did come out of the tire, I can tell that it's time to remove and replace the sealant in the front tire.

Since I'll have to break the bead anyway, I guess I'll go to the LBS and pick up some valves that'll pass the tube and get them installed at the same time.
I was able to squeeze most of the watery, old sealant out of my front tire. Leaving the valve core out of the stem overnight took care of the rest, so no need for me to break the bead to clean it out this time around (I want to get my new Schwalbe Pro1 Addix installed in the next few weeks, anyway, so I'll have the opportunity to swap stems at that time).

Even though the insertion tube doesn't fit all the way in to my current stems, I can already tell that the sealant syringe will be a welcomed addition and $12 well spent. It takes the guesswork out of dosing, it's easy and it's relatively clean. I did have one instance where I hit some resistance when injecting - rather than push harder, I pulled back on the plunger and tried again and I got smooth sailing in return. After filling the tires, I flushed the tubes/syringe a few times with some warm water and took it apart to let it dry. Good stuff.
Old 04-21-20, 11:16 AM
bbbean 

Originally Posted by wle
no way tubulars!
for what?
to go .2 mph faster?
why>?
Question asked and answered.

Old 04-21-20, 11:34 AM
wle

Bikes: road: 1999 GT road:40Kmi+ // 2001 fuji finest AL:9Kmi+//1991 schwinn paramount ODG:0.1Kmi+

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
Question asked and answered.
what?
where and where?
Old 04-21-20, 12:03 PM
bbbean 

Originally Posted by wle
what?
where and where?
From your post:
"for what?
to go .2 mph faster?"

BB

Old 04-21-20, 01:25 PM
acole3

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm not seeing the link to the Merlin site for the Specialized Turbo RapidAir tires for $35.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.