Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Suspension or not?...neck issues...

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Old 04-29-20, 10:50 AM
daveyjazz

Bikes: Bachetta Giro 20 recumbent, Brompton folder (I like odd bikes!)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

HI! I have a Bachetta Giro 20 with the mesh seat, and large "trekking" smooth tires. I have noticed that lately when I hit cracks in the pavement, the shock goes right up into my shoulder/neck area, and sorta gives me a bit of a headache. My shoulders are contacting the metal rails of the seat. If I lean out of the seat back it's fine. I have tried changing the seat angle to more vertical, and that helps a bit.Thought about a foam pad behind the shoulders..?
Question: Anybody else figure out a solution or experienced this? Is the the other type of Bachetta seat less prone to that? (The narrow foam covered one)
I really don't want to spring for a Streetmachine or a Grasshopper at this point.. : )

Thanks!
Old 04-29-20, 02:33 PM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by daveyjazz
HI! I have a Bachetta Giro 20 with the mesh seat, and large "trekking" smooth tires. I have noticed that lately when I hit cracks in the pavement, the shock goes right up into my shoulder/neck area, and sorta gives me a bit of a headache. My shoulders are contacting the metal rails of the seat. If I lean out of the seat back it's fine. I have tried changing the seat angle to more vertical, and that helps a bit.Thought about a foam pad behind the shoulders..?
Question: Anybody else figure out a solution or experienced this? Is the the other type of Bachetta seat less prone to that? (The narrow foam covered one)
I really don't want to spring for a Streetmachine or a Grasshopper at this point.. : )

Thanks!
I have heard that before. I think the Rans mesh seat doesn't really have this problem. I gather it's a bit wider, plus the top of the seat frame doesn't curve forward like the ReCurve does. Try to figure out exactly where you are getting pressure, and if it's that forward sweeping portion of the frame, then a switch to a Rans seat might be worthwhile. You may need to come up with a mounting method. I am not sure if the mounting angles on the bottom of your seat will easily transfer over to the Rans seat or not. I know people who have made this swap, so it I know it is possible somehow.
Old 05-03-20, 08:54 PM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
I do not have that problem,, BUT I have heard of people buying a Hunting tree stand seat pad and Installing it under the seat mesh..
cut foam,
??
Old 05-04-20, 08:36 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
One that I have seen mentioned many times on Bentrideronline is the Ventisit pad. They are model specific and not inexpensive. You might look there as there are some posts about rider's experience like this one from 2016 https://www.bentrideronline.com/mess...d.php?t=128176 Although mostly made for ventilation I guess they also provide some comfort as well.

I used the foam insert on an Haluzak Horizon SWB to increase the comfort of the mesh seat on it, Cheap and effective.
Old 05-04-20, 03:57 PM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
One that I have seen mentioned many times on Bentrideronline is the Ventisit pad. They are model specific and not inexpensive. You might look there as there are some posts about rider's experience like this one from 2016 https://www.bentrideronline.com/mess...d.php?t=128176 Although mostly made for ventilation I guess they also provide some comfort as well.

I used the foam insert on an Haluzak Horizon SWB to increase the comfort of the mesh seat on it, Cheap and effective.
This isn't an appropriate application for a Ventisit.