Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Puncture changing upside down?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 05-28-20, 02:09 PM
hrdknox1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 40 Posts

Do you think it is improper to turn a road bike upside down to change a puncture? I ride with a group of skilled cyclists and a newcomer turned his bike upside down to remove the rear wheel. Needless to say, heads turned.........

Old 05-28-20, 02:19 PM
billridesbikes

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Somewhere Giovanni is screaming, “Mio Dio!!!”
Old 05-28-20, 02:19 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
IMO it is improper to turn the bike upside down. Why?
It scratches the saddle. Maybe this doesn't matter to some, but it'll ruin a good leather saddle.
If you ride classic brakes not wrapped under bartape, it bends the cables, and they have a memory.
Likes For trailangel:
Old 05-28-20, 02:28 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
As mentioned it's hard on the saddle and bars and can cause fluid loss and air entry if the bike has disc brakes. But, then, it wasn't my bike so I don't care what that guy did to his.
Old 05-28-20, 02:34 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
I'm seeing rim brakes and unless that grass is really sharp, the saddle is in no danger.
Their bike Their call.
Old 05-28-20, 02:50 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
who cares? it's his bike. I would love to do it that way, like I did in the 70s, but my bikes have stuff on the bars that would hit the ground before the bars, so I just lay my bike down. side note: if you know exactly where the puncture is like w/ a thumbtack you don't even have to remove the wheel from the bike. keep the bike anyway you like, get 1/2 the bead off, sneak part of the tube out, patch the hole, sneak it back in, get that part of the bead back on, & inflate!

Last edited by rumrunn6; 05-30-20 at 08:31 AM.
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 05-28-20, 02:56 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I would never do that, but that guy's fork is already messed up,

so it might not matter much.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 05-28-20, 03:02 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
Back in the days when men were men and bike frames were steel, the brake cables used to stick up making it possible to kink the housings if you tipped your bike upside down. If I ever owned a bike as nice as that Pinarello I think I'd turn it upside too just so that everybody could read the brand label on the down tube.
Old 05-28-20, 03:06 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12636 Post(s)
Liked 7,528 Times in 3,989 Posts
I flip mine all the time, unless there's a handy tree with a branch that's just the right height to hang the saddle nose on.

Unfortunately they're rare around here

Old 05-28-20, 03:07 PM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
I always do it like this if there's a soft surface nearby (to avoid damaging de seat). I remove the Garmin first though.

The bike only touches the ground with the seat and the rubber grips.

Have been doing this for years and I have never damaged the bike nor had problems with hydraulic brakes (just make sure you don't press the brake lever with the bike upside down).
Old 05-28-20, 03:15 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
It doesn't bother me. For some things like adjusting the DR it usually won't work. For a tire change, why should anyone care. I suppose some might be thinking how they heard it's so bad for hydraulic brakes, but as far as I know that is only some of the early ones or maybe certain types.

Heads probably turned just to see what was on the underside of the downtube, or whether or not his water bottles were leaking.
Old 05-28-20, 03:18 PM
hrdknox1

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
who cares? it's his bike. I would love to do it that way, like I did in the 70s, but my bikes have stuff on the bars that would hit the ground before the bars, so I just lay my bike down. side note: if you know exactly where the puncture is like w/ a thumbtack you don't even have to remove the wheel from the bike. keep the bike anyway you like, get the bead off, sneak the tube out, patch the hole, sneak it back in, get that part of the bead back on, & inflate!
I agree that it is perfectly ok if you are very experienced at changing a puncture that way, although it is an uncommon method. But he gave the impression, as he also fumbled removing the tire from the rim, that he was doing it that way because of inexperience. I think this method lends itself more to the inexperienced and recreational cyclist.

Last edited by hrdknox1; 05-28-20 at 05:01 PM.
Old 05-28-20, 05:26 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,916 Posts
I'd be concerned about debris getting into the delicate, complex, and expensive brake/shift levers when upside-down.

If you're with a group, have someone hold the bike while you remove the wheel. Then lay the bike on its side, derailleur side up, while you deal with the puncture. Then have someone hold the bike while you re-install the wheel.

If you're by yourself, it's not that much harder. Lay the bike on its side to remove and reinstall the wheel.
Old 05-28-20, 05:47 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 1,161 Times in 671 Posts
I've always flipped mine. But the are all Rim.
Never even considered not flipping a disc, thanks for the pointer.

Barry
Old 05-28-20, 06:58 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
I wouldn't flip the bike. I hate flipping bikes. Especially if you are in a group you can easily have someone help you hold the bike if absolutely need be.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-28-20, 08:12 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
who cares? it's his bike. I would love to do it that way, like I did in the 70s, but my bikes have stuff on the bars that would hit the ground before the bars, so I just lay my bike down. side note: if you know exactly where the puncture is like w/ a thumbtack you don't even have to remove the wheel from the bike. keep the bike anyway you like, get the bead off, sneak the tube out, patch the hole, sneak it back in, get that part of the bead back on, & inflate!
What you hinted at is an old way that was done years ago when cruiser bikes with balloon tires were ruling the streets, it's a way an adult taught me when I was 8 years old how to patch a tube without taking the wheel off. All you do, if you know where the offending hole is, i s to remove half the bead with the hole in the center area of the half, then you pull out about a quarter of the tube, again the hole should be in the center, then patch and reinstall. I still do it this way, with a road bike it's a bit more difficult than it is with fatter tires, but it can still be done,
!
Old 05-28-20, 11:14 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by hrdknox1
Do you think it is improper to turn a road bike upside down to change a puncture? I ride with a group of skilled cyclists and a newcomer turned his bike upside down to remove the rear wheel. Needless to say, heads turned.........

I do this all the time - I’m not having my RD or crankset sit on the ground, regardless of what anyone says. Are you supposed to remove/install the wheel with one hand while holding the bike up with the other? Bollocks to that
Likes For Litespud:
Old 05-28-20, 11:39 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
I do this all the time - I’m not having my RD or crankset sit on the ground, regardless of what anyone says. Are you supposed to remove/install the wheel with one hand while holding the bike up with the other? Bollocks to that
+1. Can't believe some think this is such a heinous thing to do. The bike in the OP's photo looks like it's on dry grass. Probably the best type of outdoor surface to do this on. Disc brakes maybe not a good idea. A saddle or brake hoods sitting on the grass without a rider on it compared with your sweaty arse and grubby hands rubbing away on them for thousands of miles. No comparison.
Old 05-28-20, 11:56 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
Coming from the sane mountain bike world and not the nutty road biker world we flip them

And that is with hydraulic disc brakes OMG!!!!!!!! The whole flipping hydraulic disc brakes being bad thing is way WAY over blown. Yeah you might not want to store them upside down for long periods of time but a few mins won't hurt anything. Even if you do end up with spongy brakes from doing it you just squeeze the lever 3 or 5 or 10 times and they fix themselves 95.87% of the time.

Even on roadie rides I don't remember ever seeing anybody get a flat and not flip their bike to change it, I know I always have. Never had a pure roadie make any weird comments when I have had to change a flat. All my mountain bikes run tubeless now so the bike that has been flipped the most to change tubes is the road bike and it is also the only one that has 0 evidence of being flipped, no scratches from it. If anything I would give you an odd look for not flipping it since it makes everything so much easier.

Last edited by Canker; 05-29-20 at 12:04 AM.
Likes For Canker:
Old 05-29-20, 02:04 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
I use my portable, inflatable, dehydrated iWorkstand. Fits in a tiny Lezyne Road Caddy saddle bag.

Unless hardcore roadies are watching. Then I just flip the bike upside down. I don't like people asking about my workstand.
Old 05-29-20, 04:10 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 991 Times in 484 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
I never lay a bike on the drive side, the pedal keeps the crank safe. Wheel removal and installation is easy, just the way you described it.

But its your bike, do as you wish.
Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 05-29-20, 06:00 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Use another rider as a bike stand?

Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 05-29-20, 06:47 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 991 Times in 484 Posts
Originally Posted by Canker
Coming from the sane mountain bike world and not the nutty road biker world we flip them

And that is with hydraulic disc brakes OMG!!!!!!!! The whole flipping hydraulic disc brakes being bad thing is way WAY over blown. Yeah you might not want to store them upside down for long periods of time but a few mins won't hurt anything. Even if you do end up with spongy brakes from doing it you just squeeze the lever 3 or 5 or 10 times and they fix themselves 95.87% of the time.

Even on roadie rides I don't remember ever seeing anybody get a flat and not flip their bike to change it, I know I always have. Never had a pure roadie make any weird comments when I have had to change a flat. All my mountain bikes run tubeless now so the bike that has been flipped the most to change tubes is the road bike and it is also the only one that has 0 evidence of being flipped, no scratches from it. If anything I would give you an odd look for not flipping it since it makes everything so much easier.
MTBer also, flipping would mar my thumbies :-)

I can see under-the-chainstay U-brakes needing flipping on the trail, however.
Old 05-29-20, 02:09 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
Can't believe a rider cannot hold the bike with one hand and remove a wheel with the other!
Rubber side down only please.
Old 05-29-20, 02:37 PM
mrrabbit 

Bikes: 2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I flip mine all the time, unless there's a handy tree with a branch that's just the right height to hang the saddle nose on.

Unfortunately they're rare around here

Park your bike in the flowers next time....THEN take a picture.

=8-)

Disclaimer:

1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
5. My all time favorite book is:

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life