Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Saving a fork?

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Saving a fork?

Old 06-29-20, 09:24 PM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 2,322 Times in 1,373 Posts
Saving a fork?

I picked up this Norco Monterey very cheaply for a friend and met the PO who was riding actually it when I arrived. PO had just rode 17km (about 10.5 miles). He had owned it for about 6 years and rode regularly. I rode the bike hands free and it rides like a dream. Everything worked fine. It shifts well, brakes and steers properly didn't notice anything to catch my eye. But, I should have....

Tonight as I was cleaning the bike I noted the angle of the forks. I took the photos standing slightly off side to prevent causing a shadow and though they don't look it the dropouts are actually aligned with each other. The issue is that angle and I can't believe I didn't see it. Even though I can see it with my own eyes, I have trouble believing that it is an issue after having ridden it though the rational side of my brain says don't let someone ride that as it stands!

My bad and I accept I have to eat this but now I am wondering how feasible it would be to attempt to either remove the current steerer and replace with a new one or make an attempt to straighten out the forks. I should say I haven't pulled the forks and who knows, might be a shock when I do that. But as I said the bike rides very well and seems a waste to just strip it and ditch it.

Old 06-29-20, 09:30 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,684 Times in 2,508 Posts
I don't have any experience straightening unicrown forks. My first response is to be hesitant. I don't think the steerer is bent, or the headset wouldn't be smooth. I would look at the top of the blades for evidence of damage.
Old 06-29-20, 10:07 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,834 Times in 2,293 Posts
If the fork bent back with no side deflection (when impacted) then the steering alignment is not changed. The stability factor is. As mentioned the first thing to figure out is whether the steerer is bent above the crown seat. If not the ease of re establishing the fork's rake is better. Have you looked at the main frame for impact damage there? Andy
Old 06-30-20, 04:22 AM
WGB 
WGB

Main frame (top tube and down tube) look quite good. If they were damaged it's not noticeable now. This afternoon/evening I'll pull the forks and photo that.
Old 06-30-20, 06:50 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,834 Times in 2,293 Posts
WGB- I'm just an hour East of the boarder. Once it opens up I hope to travel up to Dwight where our family cabins are and suffered serious wind damage a few weeks ago. If it works out we could hook up briefly and talk about this fork. Andy
Old 06-30-20, 10:10 AM
WGB 
WGB

Dwight?

My parents live in Minden and I live near the Falls! Small world. I knew you were Rochester.
Old 06-30-20, 12:45 PM
WGB 
WGB

I deleted my input here as it was completely useless!!

Last edited by WGB; 06-30-20 at 06:52 PM.
Old 06-30-20, 06:32 PM
WGB 
WGB

Ye local frame builder took one look at the forks and said, "front end collision at very low speed". Obviously I'm not gifted with the eye for such fine detail.
I can happily live with a little humiliation in exchange for a good bike!
Andrew R Stewart. Unofficial rumours have the border closure getting another extension July 21st. Apparently Ontario politicians have been pointing to the recent upswing in the states which opened back up (unlike NY and others where it seems to be rapidly dropping). Im praying for an open border. I have a frame from Madhonk, a bottom bracket from rccardr and a huge box of stuff I ordered from an auction house. I want that bloody frame!!!

And yes, we will meet when this world returns to normal!!!

Last edited by WGB; 06-30-20 at 06:53 PM.