Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

PSA about Shimano dynamo cones interchangeability

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-20, 04:30 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts

Just posting this for posterity, in case anyone else has this problem in the future and wants to search for answers.

I recently had a problem with my Shimano DH-3N30 hub, which I had gotten for free from a kindly Frenchman, and been commuting on through rain and snow and road salt for years with no trouble, although it always made a bit of a chirping sound at low speed, like a cricket or something. It began to make grinding and clicking and crackling sounds, the bearings became loose, and I knew I had ridden it into the ground. It was time either to replace or overhaul it.

It turned out I had water ingress and a very heavily pitted and worn cone on the connector side. They (Shimano) don't even say it is possible to replace the cone on the connector side, but it is (here are instructions), and the two cones on either side are identical. So I cleaned it up inside - the cups didn't look too bad - and went to order a new cone. Shimano says the proper cone for the DH 3N30 is part number Y2ZH98050, which is completely unavailable. But an identical looking one, part number Y2ZH98020, which is spec'd on the DH-3D30 (the disc brake version of the 3N30 dynamo hub), is still available on Ebay and Amazon. I ordered it and it looks exactly the same. Sorry no pictures, my hands were very greasy. Installed it and the hub works great! No more grinding or crackling sounds. Even the chirping is gone! Hope this helps somebody someday, keeping someone's bike rolling a bit more smoothly down the road.
Old 07-19-20, 11:37 AM
Indigo82

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 12 Posts
Thank you. I have the same hub but it is brand new on my bike for a month. It works great. Maybe one day I google your experience.