Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

HRM question for nerds and DIYers

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-20, 02:18 PM
rlmalisz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 35 Posts

I have the impression (and a fair amount of experience to back it up) that the snaps used on HRM sensors and straps are standard. Certainly, I've been able to snap a Wahoo TICKR onto a Polar strap, and there are plenty of generic replacement straps sold online.

Here comes the odd question: can anyone here tell me what size those snaps are? Likely something metric, but they don't look exotic.

Situation: my SO rides (and is younger, faster, a better climber, yada, yada than I), but of late has been on a running kick. I've been doing a lot of my recent riding on a nearby multi-use trail, mostly because it provides a lot of shade, which for long rides helps keep my derm from freezing off bonus patches of skin when I see him. Linda likes to run that trail for the same reason. I am religious about warning runners, equestrians, other cyclists if/when I overtake them. But I'd say about 50% of the cyclists don't bother. Linda has become intrigued with the Varia. If she can wear it facing backwards, running the Garmin Varia app in the background gives her audible warnings about overtaking traffic. She's always taking her phone along.

Here's my folly: I'd like to be able to attach the male HRM snap parts to the two screws that fasten the K-Edge Garmin insert down. We have plenty of defunct HRM straps about, and they all adjust. If I could pull off this snap-fastener thing, she'd be able simply to quarter turn in a Varia RVR315 to the mount, snap the mount around herself, and rotate it around to the back, wherever she finds it comfortable, and run.

I'm sure this information is somehere online, but I'll be damned if Google shows me anything but HRMs and/or straps to buy.

There seem to be enough tinkers about here that I thought it might be worth asking, even if it isn't cycle-centric.

--Richard
Old 07-27-20, 03:02 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
If she runs with a cycling jersey, she can put the radar in one of the pockets and it will work, If you already have the radar, the quarter twist lock is removable from mount by taking out the two screws and pushing it out. You can then mount that, using the same screws, to any belt or running pack. Here is a link to another post on this forum on the radar and mounting it on saddlebags. Not what you need but it may give you some ideas. Garmin Varia RTL510 and saddlebags Hope this helps.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 07-27-20, 07:05 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
Garmin makes these quarter turn mounts that come with many of their products, or at least they used to. But instead of using the rubber bands, you can use a needle and thread to sew it to the strap.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/65215
You might find them cheaper elsewhere if you google for them.

Otherwise, you'll probably have to try a few snaps. Most kits to install snaps come with an assortment of sizes.