Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Choosing new Bottom bracket size

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-20, 12:41 PM
lmf6660

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Y'all!

I'm currently replacing the guts of my trusty Windsor "The Hour" frame. I know that the BB size is 68x103mm, but the crankset I want requires a 107mm length on the BB spindle. How flexible are these sizes? What am I to do? I'd like to mount a Sugino Zen on whatever crankset I choose- any recommendations on affordable but not trash cranksets are welcome.
Thank u guys!!!
Old 07-30-20, 09:15 AM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
If you want a good chainline and the right amount of crank arm & chainring clearance, you need to use the correct spindle length and type for your crankset. It's not that hard.
Likes For Scrodzilla:
Old 07-30-20, 09:56 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by lmf6660
Hey Y'all!

I'm currently replacing the guts of my trusty Windsor "The Hour" frame. I know that the BB size is 68x103mm, but the crankset I want requires a 107mm length on the BB spindle. How flexible are these sizes? What am I to do? I'd like to mount a Sugino Zen on whatever crankset I choose- any recommendations on affordable but not trash cranksets are welcome.
Thank u guys!!!
Here you go...

https://www.retro-gression.com/colle...bottom-bracket

BTW, you didn't mention which crankset you are looking at. It helps us to know. As far as affordable sets that aren't trash, I would offer these two options. I own a set of the Sugino's and they are 10 years on now and look/act like brand new.

https://www.retro-gression.com/colle...rankset-silver
https://www.retro-gression.com/colle...track-crankset

Last edited by TugaDude; 07-30-20 at 10:03 AM. Reason: added info
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 07-30-20, 04:11 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by TugaDude
Here you go...

BTW, you didn't mention which crankset you are looking at. It helps us to know. As far as affordable sets that aren't trash, I would offer these two options. I own a set of the Sugino's and they are 10 years on now and look/act like brand new.

If you want a wide selection of chainrings, 144 bcd is the way to go. It is the track standard, and there aren't nearly as many options for 130 bcd.

Dave
Old 07-30-20, 05:58 PM
jimmyodonnell

Bikes: Specialized Langster SS Specialized Sirrus X 4

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 37 Posts
Here you go...

Thanks for these recommendations. I have a related question, but I'm not looking to highjack the discussion or distract from the OP's question --

I too am looking to upgrade from my stock crankset, because I also have continuing noise and instability that my mechanic advises might be due to the wear of my current bottom bracket (stock).
I'm seriously considering the Phil Wood track crankset with the appropriate bottom bracket (also by Phil Wood) . . .
but this combination will cost approx $800 while the Sugino you recommend is priced much less.

Is the Phil Wood setup worth the extra money?
I'm seeking reliability, the "bling factor" is secondary to me.
My rationale on the Phil Wood gear is that the investment might just last me the lifetime of the bike.
I've recently bought a wheel set with Phil Woods hubs, and it's been a definite upgrade from my previous wheel set which came stock on my bike.

MY USE -- I ride my single-speed as my main road bike . . . my typical rides range from 20-40 miles, and my routes are completely flat. I don't ride track, and I'm never going to race.
if the Sugino gear you recommend has proven reliable for 10 years of your use, it seems to make sense for me to consider it . . . any thoughts on whether the price difference of the Phil Wood setup is worth it for my purposes? Any insight is welcome, thanks in advance.
Old 07-30-20, 06:13 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmyodonnell
Thanks for these recommendations. I have a related question, but I'm not looking to highjack the discussion or distract from the OP's question --

I too am looking to upgrade from my stock crankset, because I also have continuing noise and instability that my mechanic advises might be due to the wear of my current bottom bracket (stock).
I'm seriously considering the Phil Wood track crankset with the appropriate bottom bracket (also by Phil Wood) . . .
but this combination will cost approx $800 while the Sugino you recommend is priced much less.

My rationale on the Phil Wood gear is that the investment might just last me the lifetime of the bike.
I've recently bought a wheel set with Phil Woods hubs, and it's been a definite upgrade from my previous wheel set which came stock on my bike.

MY USE -- I ride my single-speed as my main road bike . . . my typical rides range from 20-40 miles, and my routes are completely flat. I don't ride track, and I'm never going to race.
if the Sugino gear you recommend has proven reliable for 10 years of your use, it seems to make sense for me to consider it . . . any thoughts on whether the price difference of the Phil Wood setup is worth it for my purposes? Any insight is welcome, thanks in advance.
I don't have experience with the Phil Wood crankset specifically, but don't think you can go wrong with a Andel/All City crankset with a Tange Seiki bottom bracket for a fraction of the price. Been riding mine for almost 2 months now, and the stiffness / machining is really nice. You could buy a couple Andel crank and Tange Seiki combos for the price of the Phil Wood. I have also ridden Campy Record, and Dura Ace 7710s, and think the Andels are a great bang for the buck.

Dave
Likes For bonsai171:
Old 07-30-20, 07:53 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
Stop over-thinking it. Sugino 75 crank arms, Sugino 75 cartridge BB, Zen chainring, done.
Likes For Scrodzilla:
Old 07-31-20, 06:20 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmyodonnell

You can never go wrong with Phil Wood components. Every item I've seen has been top shelf. I suspect the cranks will not disappoint. The Sugino 75 set should also be in consideration. They are bombproof along with being attractive.
Old 07-31-20, 06:32 AM
jimmyodonnell

You can never go wrong with Phil Wood components. Every item I've seen has been top shelf. I suspect the cranks will not disappoint. The Sugino 75 set should also be in consideration. They are bombproof along with being attractive.
Thanks guys for the insight, I appreciate it
Old 07-31-20, 06:32 AM
jimmyodonnell

Originally Posted by Scrodzilla
Stop over-thinking it. Sugino 75 crank arms, Sugino 75 cartridge BB, Zen chainring, done.
THANKS for the recommend
Old 07-31-20, 10:00 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4347 Post(s)
Liked 3,984 Times in 2,661 Posts
I will say this on the Phil Wood B.B. it looks nice and probably will last forever and in a Phil Wood frame they are a must. However I think my favorite JIS Square Taper B.B. is IRD Defiant QB-95 bar-none. Phil Wood just isn't that exceptional in this instance as from looks.

Now if I am going Sugino 75 or similar and not doing Direct Drive (which why not DD is awesome) I will go with a Sugino 75 B.B. They make a cartridge style if I am using on a road bike or you can do the Super Lap (or Ceramic) if you are a trackie or want the smoothest and are cool with regressing and cleaning with some regularity.

The only reason I would do Square Taper Sugino track would be for a Grand Mighty. Other than that I can now do Super 75 Direct Drive so I really don't need square taper anymore and the dang thing comes with a Ceramic B.B. or I could upgrade to Ceramicspeed if I was really feeling like going homemade Goldschlager with triple the gold leaf suspended in some Balvenie 50 (a rather expensive Single Malt Scotch Whisky)