Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Hokkaido trip

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Hokkaido trip

Old 08-04-20, 06:15 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by jonmanjiro
Chatting near the strange statue, tent hidden nearby... bingo! haha!!! small world indeed.

We'll be driving again in Hokkaido. I'd love to bike, but alas my wife has other ideas. Our entry/exit is Hakodate and we plan to stay somewhere near Toya-ko for four nights/five days from the 26th to 30th. I may take a bicycle with me for pottering around the lake, but that's probably the extend of any riding I'll manage to do. If you happen to be in the area on those dates, let me know!

Tohoku trip video on youtube... I'll check it out!
There's an amazing Onsen at https://goo.gl/maps/kpKHnVmtTFoLGP6P9 has a full size yacht floating in the outdoor pool. There's also a sneaky bike path that starts at 92-3 Ōtakiku Hongōchō, Date, Hokkaido 052-0311, Japan and goes downhill and finishes at the Onsen, so your wife could drop you there and you ride down and have an Onsen.
Old 08-04-20, 06:58 PM
meyers66

Bikes: 2007 Bianchi Volpe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tiger head bee nest

Originally Posted by Trevtassie
Dunno, grand total of maybe 5 months camping in Japan, from the mid to the north. Never seen a Murder Hornet yet.
Cookie Cutters, plenty in Hokkaido, like invisible flying leeches, you only know they are there when you look down and see a circle of skin missing and the blood running down your leg.
This is the exterior wall of a tiger head bee nest.

Old 08-04-20, 07:10 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Originally Posted by meyers66
This is the exterior wall of a tiger head bee nest.

I've seen way more bears than I have wasps....
Old 08-04-20, 07:49 PM
meyers66

Bikes: 2007 Bianchi Volpe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've seen way more bears than I have wasps....
ok you know better. I haven’t been to Hokkaido.
Old 08-05-20, 04:07 AM
Kabuto

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 52 Posts
There's an amazing Onsen at https://goo.gl/maps/kpKHnVmtTFoLGP6P9 has a full size yacht floating in the outdoor pool. There's also a sneaky bike path that starts at 92-3 Ōtakiku Hongōchō, Date, Hokkaido 052-0311, Japan and goes downhill and finishes at the Onsen, so your wife could drop you there and you ride down and have an Onsen.
Thanks for the onsen and bike path tip. My wife can't drive so if I check it out I'll have to make my own way there
Old 08-05-20, 04:11 AM
Kabuto

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by waddo
I'm sure you will have a great time and maybe we will bump into each other some other summer!
Thanks, I'm sure we will. You too! See you some other summer
Old 08-05-20, 06:22 PM
Trevtassie

Originally Posted by jonmanjiro
Thanks for the onsen and bike path tip. My wife can't drive so if I check it out I'll have to make my own way there
It's worth a drive anyway, just for the sheer '90s excess it represents, from the Gilt Cinderella carriage in the foyer to the yacht, which still has all of it's sea going accoutrements. It looks like someone said " what's that outdoor pool missing? I know! A yacht!" so they went and bought a yacht at a marina, loaded it on a truck and then dumped it in the pool, complete with everything still inside, like lifejackets and anchor and stuff. You can even set the sails, since all the rigging is still there.
Old 08-05-20, 07:31 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 955 Times in 785 Posts
Hoist the main sail!
tighten the jib!
swab the decks you toothless scum!

ya, I get it (not really but hey, it would be fun goofing around on it)
Old 08-06-20, 04:27 AM
Trevtassie

Originally Posted by djb
Hoist the main sail!
tighten the jib!
swab the decks you toothless scum!

ya, I get it (not really but hey, it would be fun goofing around on it)
I had a yachty mate I used to annoy by saying "belay the ratlins" constantly. He kepot on pointing out that Ratlins are fixed rigging and thus can't be belayed.
There's a water slide next to the yacht, the 8YO Japanese boy was vastly amused when a 210lb aussie went down it head first...
Old 08-06-20, 07:01 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 955 Times in 785 Posts
I had a yachty mate I used to annoy by saying "belay the ratlins" constantly. He kepot on pointing out that Ratlins are fixed rigging and thus can't be belayed.
There's a water slide next to the yacht, the 8YO Japanese boy was vastly amused when a 210lb aussie went down it head first...
Chuckle. I've never been to Japan, but my limited understanding of some aspects of Japanese culture and how a man should act (especially a business man or the likes) makes me get why the kid would have thought you were hilarious and unusual.