Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

When should I increase my pedal release tension?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-06-20, 02:22 PM
ScottRiqui

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 22 Posts

I'm new to clipless pedals, and am using an SPD-SL setup. Prior to my first ride, I set the release tension to its lowest setting - as long as I don't start having problems with my shoes spontaneously coming unclipped, is there any reason to ever increase the tension from its lowest setting?
Old 08-06-20, 02:28 PM
Roobz

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Nope. If your happy on the lowest setting then keep them like that. Iv never accidentally unclipped from mine on there lowest setting. I have 105 pedals.

adjusting the tension means re-learning what it takes to unclip. Increasing your chances of falling over. not worth it really.
Likes For Roobz:
Old 08-06-20, 02:47 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4788 Post(s)
Liked 3,914 Times in 2,545 Posts
I've been riding a long time. I've seen plenty of crashes that started as the foot coming off the pedal, often when the rider has had a scare. If you are going fast, you usually fare a lot better securely on the bike and committed to staying upright. My advice would be to periodically tighten the release a click or two. Little enough that the added resistance won't be more than a momentary scare but such that ultimately it takes a little effort to unclip.

I raced in the days of toestraps pulled tight. We didn't unclip mid-ride very often and we rode through hairy situations. Yes crashes happened, just as they do now. The crashes played out differently. The injuries were different, but not, in general, worse. We lost more skin, I suspect we broke fewer bones. Yes, the gymnasts do better with clipless and their trained falling techniques. But many of the rest of us do better to just stay with the bike and slide. (I'm clumsy. I knew at an early age I had no business learning those falls.)

I ride my clipless pedals cranked tight and yes, I do fall over occasionally. If you accept that you just made a fool of yourself, relax and present the ground with everything you've got, you rarely get more than a small bruise or two. My clothes rarely suffer more than dirt.

Ben
Old 08-06-20, 05:42 PM
GAtkins

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR7 Project One 62cm- 2010 Specialized Allez 61cm

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 44 Posts
I'd leave them on the lowest click. Like Roobz I've never accidentally unclipped. In fact, there have been a couple of times when I wished I had

Glenn
Old 08-06-20, 06:12 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,905 Posts
tighten more each ride only if you wish to entertain others at random times unintentionally. Want to really provide entertainment? Tighten each pedal to different tensions.
Old 08-06-20, 06:16 PM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
Accidentally unclipping is the only reason why you would want to increase the release tension yet even at the lowest tension SPD-SL's aren't that low. If you have poor technique and twist your foot around as you sprint then you may want to increase tension. If your a MONSTER sprinter off the line you may want to increase the tension.
Old 08-06-20, 06:25 PM
ScottRiqui

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 22 Posts
Thanks for the replies - there's some rotational play between my shoes and the pedals, and I wanted to make sure it was just the float in the cleats, and not the pedal retention latch beginning to release the cleats prematurely.
Old 08-06-20, 06:30 PM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottRiqui
Thanks for the replies - there's some rotational play between my shoes and the pedals, and I wanted to make sure it was just the float in the cleats, and not the pedal retention latch beginning to release the cleats prematurely.
SPD-SL cleats are available with and without float. If your foot does "float" around too much when you sprint then you may want to increase the release tension.
Old 08-06-20, 07:25 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
The only time I've seen a rider's foot inadvertently come out of an SPD-SL pedal was when the cleat broke. We were just winding up for a town-line sprint, and the guy was up off the saddle, doing 30mph at that point. It was pretty spectacular.

So, yeah, unless you have a high-wattage sprint, you can leave it on the lowest setting. And keep an eye on the wear indicators.
Old 08-06-20, 07:53 PM
GAtkins

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR7 Project One 62cm- 2010 Specialized Allez 61cm

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 44 Posts
I like the float of the yellow cleats.

Glenn
Old 08-07-20, 01:02 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I always keep my SPD-SL and Look Delta pedals at the lowest tension and would prefer if it was even lower. I've never unclipped accidentally, even when I'm standing to sprint up short steep climbs and literally pulling the rear wheel an inch off the ground (not a good practice, just poor technique).

If there's enough float it's very unlikely these will unclip accidentally when the feet are normally positioned. It could conceivably happen with zero or low float cleats.

I've seen other folks in local group rides accidentally unclip but they were using other clipless systems.

The most notable incident I can think of was Lance Armstrong at the start of a time trial. Don't recall which clipless system he was using or how much float.
Old 08-07-20, 01:07 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Yeah, regarding that cleat breakage thing, be sure to inspect your cleats often and replace them when necessary. I went almost three years before replacing my Look Delta cleats and nearly waited too long. There was barely any tongue left on the left side plastic cleat. That could have been disastrous and seriously painful if it had broken while standing to climb or sprint.

SPD-SL are very similar to Look Delta, but add some grippy rubbery tips that make it easier for walking, but harder -- IMO -- to unclip. Waxing the friction surfaces helped smooth out the clipping/unclipping. I just use leftover candle wax. Doesn't attract grit like oil or grease. And SPD-SL float is slightly less than Look Delta, so I need to adjust a bit when I switch bikes.
Old 08-07-20, 01:14 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 1,072 Posts
My right foot came unclipped a few weeks ago when I was doing hill repeats. I was full throttle (for what it's worth) and eased up for an instant as I shifted. Evidently twisted just enough to unclip. I kept the rubber side down and on the pavement, but I'm sure it was comical to see. Crotch on the TT, one arm flailing in the air, right foot dragging on the ground, body practically laying on the stem. Somehow kept the thing pointed forward, and let gravity bring me to a stop.

I cranked those suckers down a few notches from the light setting.

YMMV.
Old 08-07-20, 06:14 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 247 Posts
See, that's the thing with this site. You go into a thread that you think will be stupid (I mean, the answer to the original question seems self-evident), but then you learn a couple of things.
Old 08-07-20, 07:07 AM
John Foster

Bikes: '16 Scott CR1 '82 Norco MagnumII

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
And some of us are just lazy. The pedals on my "work" bike came out of the box very tight, since my ride to work is 5km/3m of low traffic country roads I have never had a problem. The pedals on my "good" bike came out of the box very loose, on my Sunday rides I end up in strange territory or busier urban areas and unclip a lot more. Maybe this is dumb luck or maybe it just proves that a person can adapt to anything.
Old 08-07-20, 07:34 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
I moved from "rat traps" to Shimano SPD 520's in the late-90's(?). I set them at the lowest setting (to Learn).
I'm still using 520's for several of my bikes and still on the lowest setting. Never unintentional came out of them but there were a few times I was glad they were set low.....
Likes For Speedway2:
Old 08-07-20, 11:47 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
When you feel secure enough to not need this forum's approval ?

Time ATAC had no adjustment other than which cleat went on which shoe.

Old 08-07-20, 11:52 AM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
I'm new to clipless pedals, and am using an SPD-SL setup. Prior to my first ride, I set the release tension to its lowest setting - as long as I don't start having problems with my shoes spontaneously coming unclipped, is there any reason to ever increase the tension from its lowest setting?
Mine are set at the lowest and I haven’t even thought about it since. I found Shimano to be much tighter than Look. I guess if the spring weakens you can always tighten it.
Old 08-07-20, 01:19 PM
BoraxKid

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
When I set my pedals to the lowest tension, I felt like my shoes were not securely connected to them. I had to add about 8 clicks or so of pedal tension to find the balance between feeling secure yet still able to escape without having to think about it. It sounds like your mileage is different than mine.
Old 08-07-20, 01:24 PM
BoraxKid

Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
Want to really provide entertainment? Tighten each pedal to different tensions.
My pedals are dual-sided, so I can have 4 different tensions set, but imagine the fun with 4-sided pedals! 8 different settings!
Old 08-07-20, 02:03 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
The point is ALWAYS, only to increase tension of you pull out. You always want the easiest release pressure you can have.

With Shimano SpD MTB pedals the cheap ones release easily and are pretty difficult to get into. The high performance pedals are exactly the opposite - they are easy to enter and damned hard to release. After you are experienced enough to automatically release without thinking about it, you can change. The most common cause of mishaps with clipless users is not being able to get out in time. to put a foot down and avoid a fall.
Old 08-11-20, 02:35 PM
spookygeek

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The lowest setting possible that keeps you clipped in.